French Open 2009

IMO the reason he used to be invincible was that he was significantly more talented than the next guy. He always had the skill to defeat his opponent and that's how he won his matches. The others redlined for a set whilst Fed just kept playing his normal high quality game every point. That said, he certainly doesn't strike me as somebody who really thrives on being challenged.

As for other champions, I don't mean compared to other Slam winners like Roddick or Safin, but to the other athletes out there that are reputed to be as classy in their sports as what Federer is to tennis. Look at Tiger compared to Federer. I think both are clearly the most talented player in the game by miles, quite possibly the best ever, yet mentally I don't think Federer holds a candle to Woods.

But isn't just playing your game how you play it no matter the situation what mental toughness is?

Federer does that all the time - except, as I said, against Nadal. He seems to overplay things against him, and invariably make uncharacteristic errors. That's what I mean, against anyone else, Federer is rock solid. But I think he has it in his head he's not good enough to beat Nadal and so falls apart.

That said, he did beat Nadal on clay last month so he's perhaps conquering that demon of his. And perhaps Nadal is plateauing or even hitting his first real form dip.

Nadal played a 4hr semi final the day before Federer beat him and I think that was a big factor in Federer's win. Stil, I do feel Nadal's game is dropping off a little, so a bit of both. In any event, the next week will gauge Federer's strength. He knows the Career Slam is there for the taking and has opponents who he can beat fairly easily. How he copes with knowing this is his final chance will be interesting.

Fed's Draw: Haas, Monfils/Roddick, Robredo/Kohlschreiber/Tsonga/Del Potro, Murray/Gonzalez/Davydenko/Soderling.

Given it's on clay, I think Gonzalez and Monfils are the only ones who can legitimately challenge Federer under normal circumstances.

I kind of hope Federer doesn't win as much as I love him, because I am sure he will feel pretty hollow not beating Nadal to get the title, that being said he is easily the second best clay court player on the face of the earth.

With regard to Fed vs Nadal, Federer is technically far better than him its all mental. Nadal is the biggest competitor on the face of the Earth and he just happens to have got a wood on Federer and that is something he is obviously unfamiliar and uncomfortable with. Federer beat Nadal in Hamburg last year on clay before being destroyed at the French by him, this just means so much to Federer (both the French and the Grand Slams record) that when you put that weight together with playing someone who has a positive record against you who never gives up and seems to get everything back I think it just weighs and weighs on Federer.

The Gymp said:
I kind of hope Federer doesn't win as much as I love him, because I am sure he will feel pretty hollow not beating Nadal to get the title, that being said he is easily the second best clay court player on the face of the earth.

With regard to Fed vs Nadal, Federer is technically far better than him its all mental. Nadal is the biggest competitor on the face of the Earth and he just happens to have got a wood on Federer and that is something he is obviously unfamiliar and uncomfortable with. Federer beat Nadal in Hamburg last year on clay before being destroyed at the French by him, this just means so much to Federer (both the French and the Grand Slams record) that when you put that weight together with playing someone who has a positive record against you who never gives up and seems to get everything back I think it just weighs and weighs on Federer.

n607496005_2069768_2680832.jpg

When I wrote that I had a feeling that it would cum to this.

The crowning achievement of Federer's career is there for the taking. Showing lots of mental fortitude so far [icon_lol1.

Holy crap! Tommy is flogging him. I think the mental effect Nadal has on him has a huge say in this performance, Federer obviously just assumed the title was his now that Rafa was gone.

The Gymp said:
Holy crap! Tommy is flogging him. I think the mental effect Nadal has on him has a huge say in this performance, Federer obviously just assumed the title was his now that Rafa was gone.

I don't think he assumes it is his, but he knows it's on his racquet, and given the enornomity of it it's a type of pressure he just isn't able to process very well IMO.

I think history will be to kind to federer. He is a fantastic player, but during the era he was dominant international tennis was very weak. His biggest challengers came from Hewitt, Ferrero, Roddick and a teenage Nadal.

Showed some mentality to come back from two sets down!

Come on Fed!!!

I have a hunch that was going to be his toughest test. The first match after Nadal goes out and Federer thinking to himself "omg, it's mine for the taking"...if he was going to choke it was going to be in the first match. And it was happening.

I think he'll beat Monfils relatively comfortable then cruise to victory in semi and final.

Fed was struggling prior to the Nadal knockout though. Acasuso took him to the fourth set (where he won the 2nd), and also had 3 set points in the first and served for the third set at 5-2 up. Mathieu also took a set off Fed. I think Monfils might get him, certainly that's what I'm hoping for.

I assume you're "hoping" that because you have money on Monfils...

Coxy said:
I assume you're "hoping" that because you have money on Monfils...

Yes, I have money on Monfils (and for that matter Del Pots, who is Fed's possible SF opponent). Nonetheless, even if I didn't have any bets placed, I'd still want Federer to get smoked, because frankly I don't like him very much.

Ari do you bet on Monfils and Del Pot at all the slams now?

The Gymp said:
Ari do you bet on Monfils and Del Pot at all the slams now?

Only this year I've done that. Cilic and Gulbis for Wimbo. Keeping a big eye out for the right moment to back Grigor Dimitrov in future slams.

Nice, as I have said top you before that Cilic has every chance at Wimbledon if the right draw comes along he has the build and game suited for grass.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.