Full strength lineup round 1 2020

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
With the emergence of so many young guns this year I'm wondering what our full strength lineup is next year?

1. Milford / boyd / isaako
2. Oates / Coates
3. Staggs / Boyd
4. Bird / shibasaki
5. Isaako / Farnworth
6. Sos / Boyd
7. Dearden / Macca
8. Haas / Flegler
9. Turpin / Macca
10. Lodge / Joe O
11. Glenn / Gillett
12. TPJ / Fifita
13. Carrigan / TPJ / Flegler
14. Segeyaro / Staggs
15. Joe O
16. Flegler
17. Fifita / Gillett

I'm not sure Gillett makes the team. Unless you play TPJ in the middle, but after recent performance I'm not sure that's best. Although Gillett is better than Carrigan. There are also some questions in the outside backs. Namely, Coates, Bird and Boyd.

Sound off on your opinions, I'm getti g excited for this team's future.

Lose Macca and we can start talking.

1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird/Fifita
5. Isaako

After looking like utter garbage not that long ago, shockingly the backline pretty much picks itself. After tonight I'd say Isaako has recovered a lot of ground in the pecking order and will edge out Farnworth who will continue to be rapidly developed in reserves. Any injury and Coates/Farnworth/Kennar are shoe ins. Shibasaki is there as well but personally I'm hoping we've seen the last of him. If Bird decides to go home, I honestly can see Seibs slotting Fifita in there permanently and giving him a run at centre for a season or 2. Where is Boyd? I am almost convinced he's gone by the Tuesday following Mad Monday. If he stays as well as Bird, we will have a massive selection crisis on our hands when SoS and Dearden return from injury between Boyd and Staggs.

6. SoS/Off season signing
7. Dearden

Pretty self explanatory. Obvious choices because there's nobody else, and both are looking like potential stars. I'd personally rather go to market for an experienced 6 to mentor Dearden and provide more experience to the side.

8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. TPJ
13. Gillett/Carrigan

Only reason I have McC in is because everyone here knows he will be there so we may as well suck it up. At least most of the men around him on that list are looking like the best engine room in club Rugby League. I can see Gillett being retained regardless of his own form just for his leadership and experience around the younger blokes but if he somehow does go, Carrigan goes straight in.

14. Turpin
15. Joe O
16. Flegler
17. Fifita/Carrigan

Another one that basically picks itself. Personally I think Gillett will stay and play 13,Fifita goes into the centres and Carrigan is 17th.

Last edited:
While Dearden didn’t do any wrong during his stint, especially for his age and experience level, what exactly did people see in his NrL games that have him being so talked up?

I’m not being negative, I like him as a player but I don’t remember any great kicks, or line breaks, no slick passes that creates overlaps or lead to line breaks or tries. He didn’t show any great footwork nor speed. He defended admirably for a little fella but he still got dragged around until reinforcements would help him. Definitely didn’t hit as hard as the similar sized Turpin.

We all agree Turpin isn’t a half yet Turpin has shown far more in his few games at 7 than Dearden did. Again, I like Dearden I just haven’t seen anything too exciting from him.

1. Milford.
2. Oates.
3. Bird.
4. Staggs.
5. Isaako.
6. Boyd. (C)
7. Dearden.
8. Lodge.
9. Macca.
10. Haas.
11. Glenn.
12. Gillett.
13. Flegler.

14. Turpin.
15. Offa.
16. TPJ
17. Fifita.

May not be the most popular line-up around here, but short of any significant recruitment or ‘spectacular’ retirements, that’s what it is likely to be...

While Dearden didn’t do any wrong during his stint, especially for his age and experience level, what exactly did people see in his NrL games that have him being so talked up?

I’m not being negative, I like him as a player but I don’t remember any great kicks, or line breaks, no slick passes that creates overlaps or lead to line breaks or tries. He didn’t show any great footwork nor speed. He defended admirably for a little fella but he still got dragged around until reinforcements would help him. Definitely didn’t hit as hard as the similar sized Turpin.

We all agree Turpin isn’t a half yet Turpin has shown far more in his few games at 7 than Dearden did. Again, I like Dearden I just haven’t seen anything too exciting from him.
I feel like Dearden is still a couple of years away from being a good half...if he gets there. It happens quite often, some young half looks like a future star at 17 or 18, but then just doesn't progress enough, never really gets anywhere. I really don't think you can tell with halves until they are at least 20+.

Seibold seems to really rate him though. Watching the Jharal + Thaiday podcast with him on, he talks about Dearden's understanding of the game, how much that has impressed him. Hopefully he's one of those halves that lives up to the rookie hype in a few years time.

Last edited:

I agree. But to be fair Dearden's job was to pull heat from Milf, organise the line and the play and give a kick option. He stood up and did that admirably. He gave Milf way more freedom while he was at 6. SOS played much more direct and Turpin is simply playing gun out of position.

Composure

I think the thing that impressed me the most was his composure, as Pagey said. He didn't look to overplay his hand, just be a steady eddy. Reminded me a bit of Cleary - not to mention he got less than a handful of games before being injured.

His defence was solid and he looked willing to engage and put his body on the line.

He involved himself well, got his hands on the ball and looked threatening several times - a couple of half breaks come to mind as well as a beautiful short ball to Gillett which would have been a try had it not been dropped.

He is talking, barking orders, organising and taking on the game general role despite his age.

He has that magical quality that all great playmakers seem to possess where he 'has time'... He is composed, never looks flustered, and takes on the line with ball in 2 hands, looking like he has all the time in the world to pick a play and make something happen. This is probably what stands out to me the most as it is so rare especially for a young player.

He hasn't set the world on fire or turned a game on its head, he is not a champion match-winning half (yet, if at all) but he has certainly exhibited everything you would want to see from a young potential future superstar half... and he will only get better.

Last edited:
1. Milford.
2. Oates.
3. Bird.
4. Staggs.
5. Isaako.
6. Boyd. (C)
7. Dearden.
8. Lodge.
9. Macca.
10. Haas.
11. Glenn.
12. Gillett.
13. Flegler.

14. Turpin.
15. Offa.
16. TPJ
17. Fifita.

May not be the most popular line-up around here, but short of any significant recruitment or ‘spectacular’ retirements, that’s what it is likely to be...

Macca at 9 would be another year of sitting on our dicks talking about rebuilding.

After last night and assuming Boyd plays on I think we will see Boyd in the 6 for next year and Deardon and SOS will fight for the 7.

Milf does seem to like the extra space he can get from fullback and I think that position can get the best out of him which is his running game and he has looked confident there.

Darius still has a decent pass, he is generally quite composed and I thought his runs from dummy half in the last couple of games have been great. We certainly looked more enthusiastic, much less frantic and more controlled last night.

So I think Darius at 6 is probably the best option for our current 'less than ideal' situation, he also gives the flexibility to move to centre or fullback if we have an injury.

Macca at 9 would be another year of sitting on our dicks talking about rebuilding.

Yep, but suck it up and face reality. Seibs and the club aren’t getting rid of him...

Yep, but suck it up and face reality. Seibs and the club aren’t getting rid of him...
We can't win a premiership with him at dummy half even if it's only Seib's regulation 50 minutes. He sucks all the life out of the attack. Might as well support the Storm if that's to be our 2020 season.

Last edited:
Some interesting opinions on Dearden. I wasn’t trying to put the kid down, was just curious on people’s thoughts.

Boyd at 5/8 is starting to look not too bad. We just need a strong game controller and kicker at 7 to get the balance right and take pressure off Milford. If Boyd keeps improving in that position and we get the right 7, I am less likely to burn down the club than I was with him at fullback. For all of Boyd’s shit shows this year, I do think he can read a game, and he has a decent pass. It could work.

Despite Macca having a decent game last night I still think a combo of Seggy and Turpin with a plan to eventually get Turpin ready to be an 80 minute player is the way to go. There has been rumours of Macca being chased by the dogs, that would be a nice piece of off season need.

If Bird goes and Gillett retires, I'd go with this:

1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Boyd
5. Isaako/Coates/Farnworth
6. SOS
7. Dearden
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Fifita
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan

14. Segs/Paix
15. Flegler
16. Joffa
17. Glenn

I would love to fit Kennedy in there but I just have no idea where.

If Bird goes and Gillett retires, I'd go with this:

1. Milford
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Boyd
5. Isaako/Coates/Farnworth
6. SOS
7. Dearden
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Fifita
12. TPJ
13. Carrigan

14. Segs/Paix
15. Flegler
16. Joffa
17. Glenn

I would love to fit Kennedy in there but I just have no idea where.

I don’t think Gillo is retiring anytime soon. His contract is even longer than Boyd’s. Signed until the end of 2022.

Defended well (I didn’t see him miss a tackle), had a few try assists bombed by Gillett and others, kicked well, and organised the side well enough (subjective I know, but we looked more assured in attack with him). He didn’t let tries in like Turpin has or come up with the wrong option such as kicking it dead: he just filled his role which was to be the steady hand and lead the side around.

Edit: Waynesaurus said it best.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Foordy
  • bazza
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Painin the Haas
  • Tim K
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.