Fullback rankings - NRL 2008

Here's a question...is every game Karmichael plays up until the ANZAC Test going to be a trial, according to the media? eusa_think

v Minicello...K owned him and then owned him some more
v Bowen, we all know that even sitting in the stands K owned him then owned him some more
v Slater...K will own him and then own him some more ...hopefully

It's a shame we don't play Manly before the Test so he can own Stewart.

As much as I would love to, I could not put Hunt in the top 3 on current form. He has not done much wrong but there are other fullbacks who have really stood up in attack.

Well who has been the best then? eusa_think Looking at the previous posts it seems everyone has K as the best fullback.

Considering Bowen's been AWOL, Mini is nowhere near his best and seems under confident also. Slater has been OK, and Patten has been the best Bulldog (but he's not Aus material). Apart from Monday night Stewart hasn't been up to scratch.... [icon_confu anyone else?

Gidley has been good I suppose, but he'd be more dangerous off the bench! Luke Burt has been pretty Good... And as for Merritt, Hodgson, Wesser & Campbell [icon_lol1.

Raiders & Warriors have nothing, Kearney has a long way to go before being considered - although he is a shark, and we all know how Sticky feels about putting sharks into the Aus team. [icon_non

In summary, let's put Hornby in at FB, just like we put him at HB instead of Thurston a couple of years ago :twisted:

After tonight Slater (particularly on 2008 form) takes the 1. spot for me. His attack and his defense are probably the benchmark of all the no.1's in the game at present, he is so tough and is so quick and smart in attack. I would probably move Hunt before moving Slater if I was to accommodate both in my side because he is just a star and a player who can impact a game far more than Hunt in both attack and defense.

I'll take Hunt over Slater everyday of the week, in fact i'd take Hunt over any other fullback in the game. Sorry Frank.

Tonight showed what a brilliant defensive fullback Hunt is. Melbourne broke through the line numerous times and Hunt either drove them into the corners while backup came or took them down himself. Plus his kick returns are excellent.

Slater was awesome, but consistency is the key and as Rocky said, Slater just doesn't do it enough. Hunt does it week in, week out.

The Rock said:
Being a fullback is tough. IMO, it's one of the most important positions on the field and definitely one of the most scrutinised. Every team needs a good fullback, and if you look at most fullbacks in the comp, there is always something that they are not quite good at.

But, look at Hunt's game - Can you fault this bloke? Sure, he might not do anything "flashy" like make 1-2 line breaks a game, but he does everything right. Also, in nearly every set play you always see Hunt there - he's got a good football brain and knows how to pull off a good play. Also tonight, his vision was fantastic - He saw Robinson on his own, but he ran straight, did an in and away, then got the ball away - That wasn't a spare of the moment thing, Hunt KNEW that the opportunity was there and he delivered.

Watch the replay and you'll find when Stagg scored, Hunt actually signaled to Lockyer that that play was on. He is quality.

1. Hunt
2. Gidley
3. Slater
4. Minicello
5. Patten
6. Bowen
7. Hodgson
8. Stewart
9. Burt
10. Kearney

Hunt may not bring the attacking flair of some other fullbacks in the NRL, but he has got to be the toughest. He runs the ball up like he is a front rower for gods sake. He plays with no fear and is safe as houses under the high ball.

That said, Slater is in great form at the moment and it is a tough decision to make for the Aus selectors. And if their form keeps up, origin selectors too.

For origin I still think I would take Hunt at fullback for safety, with Slater on the wing.

I agree with the Rock for the most part, except about Bowen. He can score tries and make linebreaks like (actally even better) than Slater when Bowen's at his best, but unlike Slater (and like Hunt) Bowen can play as a 5/8th in attack when needed. He actually did that a lot last year for NQ. Those two things combined + his improved defense is why I think he's right up there with the best fullbacks in the world.

Oh yeah, and Slater is a meh player overall. Any fullback would dominate when you have someone like Cam Smith in the side. If Hunt/Bowen aren't fullbacks for QLD, then it has to be Inglis, who is a much, much better than Slater. Slater has to the 4th option at best.

The Rock said:
[quote="Frank the Tank":3agjy6wg]LOL at the 'I'd still take Hunt over Slater' comments [icon_lol1.

face it boys, Slater knocked Hunt out of the park tonight. He made Hunt look like the pedestrian player that he is.

You're similar to those Bowen fans last year who were hailing him the best fullback in the game just because hes scored 20+ tries and made 20+ line breaks. Where is Bowen now? Probably last in the fullback ranks because he's not actually scoring any tries or making any breaks. Why? Because he offers nothing else. If Bowen was any good you'd see him saving tries, defusing bombs, setting up tries and supporting the play EVEN in a beaten side.

.[/quote:3agjy6wg]

Bowen saved more tries than he scored last year.

Bowen is so out of form this year and was the end of last year.He doesn't look like he is interested in playing.He will come good.
Gonna get bagged for this but I think K is wasted at fullback.He has so much more to offer and he is not getting involved in the play enough.
He cant even break the line atm.Slater did play him off the park last night and has done so far this year.He is on fire and back to top form.

Hunt cannot be picked on current form. Its that easy, he has been sub-par. But in my honest opinion, no one fullback has stood out for me this year just yet.

I don't think I could honestly give anyone the top fullback rank, they are all inconsistent.

Lachy said:
I don't think I could honestly give anyone the top fullback rank, they are all inconsistent.

I'm thinking along the same lines, but also because they're all very different in how they approach the fullback job and the kinds of skills they offer to their respective teams. You need look no further than the selection of the Qld No. 1 over the past couple of years, with Hunt - who hasn't neccessarily been "on fire" and exciting the crowds - constantly being one of the first players picked for Origin over players like Bowen and Slater simply due to the skill set that he offers for the type of game that's expected. Given that, its quite hard to comfortably split the top half a dozen fullbacks.

I think Hunt will keep his QLD spot... the selectors like to stay loyal to the blokes that did the job for them the previous year, unless injury or really bad form hit. but i think they'll find a spot for both Folau (miles said it was a formality that he'll get picked) and Slater in his current form. I would be happy with a backline looking like:

1. Hunt
2. Slater
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Folau
6. Lockyer
7. Prince (unless Thurston can get his form back quickly)

Slater and Hunt are clearly the two best in my opinion and they offer very different styles. Hunt won't make a mistake and will play as a link to the centres in attack but Slater does that in attack plus destroys defensive lines by himself, plus makes more line breaks from kick returns than anyone I have ever seen (except maybe Lockyer) Defensively I think they are about as good as eachother and both attack the ball so strongly. To be honest I want them both there because Slater's form warrants it and Hunt's rep history warrants it. Play Hunt at Lock or Slater on the wing if you have to but have them both in the Aust and QLD sides.

Gotta say Slater owned Hunt on Friday night, he was sensational. [eusa_clap.gi

If he can keep up that form he deserves the Jersey. Stewart does NOT deserve to retain the jersey!

The thing going for Karmichael is his combination with Thurston & Lockyer!

Slater would also be more effective for Australia than Hunt too. We already have enough chiefs and not enough indians (Lockyer, Thurston, Smith, Bird and Gidley) Hunt would just add further confusion to this and his form is not as good as Slater's. Slater would have a field day running off the shoulders of Lockyer and Bird.

If Lockyer plays.

I can't stand Bird! Argh, as if he is the best choice for 5/8th after Lockyer. Put Prince & Thurston in the halves ffs. Slater, Prince & Thurston would be deadly if they could get their combination down pat.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Sproj
  • Old Mate
  • Bish
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • Mister Wright
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.