Fullback rankings - NRL 2008

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
OK, given the discussion in the other forum, how about we rank the fullbacks currently playing in the NRL. Wade McKinnon ruled out with injury of course.

Here goes:

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Billy Slater
3. Brett Stewart
4. Anthony Minichiello
5. Kurt Gidley
6. Luke Burt
7. Matt Bowen
8. Brett Hodgson
9. Preston Campbell
10. Ben Hornby
11. Brett Kearney
12. Rhys Wesser
13. Nathan Merritt
14. Luke Patten
15. Bronx Goodwin
16. Lance Hohaia

Good idea

1. Hunt
2. Slater
3. Gidley
4. Stewart
5. Burt
6. Hodgson
7. Minichello
8. Hodgson
9. Bowen
10. Campbell
11. Kearney
12. Hornby
13. Goodwin
14. Wesser
15. Merrrit
16. Hohia

I would've put Patten up a bit higher.. He's always been a great fullback for the 'Dogs.. eusa_think

SimplyBronco said:
I would've put Patten up a bit higher.. He's always been a great fullback for the 'Dogs.. eusa_think

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

Only positive thing in his game is his support play. He has very little else.

True that, Coxy - but I'd still rank him higher than Merritt & Wesser.

Frank the Tank said:
Frank does not understand why everyone here thinks Patten isn't very good? Patten rarely makes mistakes, is a solid defender, bugger all skill as an attacker, and has been consistently average for more years than you can poke a stick at.

Corrected your assessment on Patten.

1. Hunt
2. Slater
3. Minichello
4. Hodgson
5. Stewart
6. Gidley
7. Bowen
8. Burt
9. Pattern
10. Campbell
11. Kearney
12. Hornby
13. Wesser
14. Merritt
15. Goodwin
16. Hohaia

Frank the Tank said:
Coxy said:
[quote="Frank the Tank":b4gtgbh6]
Frank does not understand why everyone here thinks Patten isn't very good? Patten rarely makes mistakes, is a solid defender, bugger all skill as an attacker, and has been consistently average for more years than you can poke a stick at.

Corrected your assessment on Patten.
Silly Coxy, why would you change Franks post to intentionally lie?[/quote:b4gtgbh6]

I gotta say that i agree with coxy on this one... sorry Frank

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, it just happens you're wrong [icon_wink [icon_lol1.

How dare you "edit my post"...I want you to change it back and apologise to me or I'll get my lawyers onto you :P [icon_lol1.

1. Karmichael Hunt / Matt Bowen
2. Matt Bowen / Karmichael Hunt
3. Kurt Gidley
4. Ben Hornby
5. Anthony Minichello

The others are all equally average. None of them can playmake (like the top 4 in my list) or defend as well as Mini.

Is this Current 2008 performances? or like.. are we meshing 2007 into this? or is this just overall?
Im rating mine in overall.
This is probably more personal preference more than anything, I am not a fan of Hodgson/campbell type fullbacks, sure they are nifty and skillful, but I dont like their squishyness, its just not the style of fullback I like to see. Which is why Bowen probably gets a slighter lower rating, but to be perfectly honest, I dont rate him as much as everyone does anyway.
As far as Im concerned, Hunt, mini, slater, stewart, Gidley. Those top 5 are welcome in my footy team anyday.

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Anthony Minichiello
3. Billy Slater
4. Brett Stewart
5. Kurt Gidley
6. Ben Hornby
7. Matt Bowen
8. Luke Patten
9. Rhys Wesser
10. Luke Burt
11. Brett Kearney
12. Nathan Merritt
13. Preston Campbell
14. Brett Hodgson
15. Bronx Goodwin
16. Lance Hohaia

Billy Slater has been far and away the best fullback in 2008.

Je$ter said:
Billy Slater has been far and away the best fullback in 2008.

I agree 100% so far he is my test fullback if we are picking it purely on form otherwise he has to be on a wing if hunt is given the gig on loyalty.

People really seem to be underrating Bowen, and overrating Slater and Stewart IMO.

It's not current performances or overall, it's how you perceive each of the 16 fullbacks that ran around in the NRL in round 3. Hence why Wade McKinnon isn't included - he would easily be top 10 if he were fit and playing.

The Rock said:
Coxy said:
It's not current performances or overall, it's how you perceive each of the 16 fullbacks that ran around in the NRL in round 3. Hence why Wade McKinnon isn't included - he would easily be top 10 if he were fit and playing.

But Karmichael Hunt didn't play in round 3 either. :P

Pfft. He was named! :P

oh round 3, my bad.
I probably havent seen enough games to really have a say.
I guess my judgement is just overall personal preference.
Has slater got those small weakness out of his game? high ball, loose carry etc.
For some reason, I've never felt safe with him in defense, great tackle on mini the other week though.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • kiwi2
  • Fozz
  • bazza
  • The True King
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • Dash
  • levikaden
  • ivanhungryjak
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.