Game 1 - Post Match Discussion

That decision by TC to go for a penalty kick can be added to the list of dumb decisions.

lol Browny, you watching the replay too brother?

Lolz @ People having a go at Gallen for swearing at the referee and all that shit. Thurston does it ALL the time and the douche bag isn't even captain! And gets away with it! So please, spare me the bullshit.

He went off tap. Haha. It was awesome, anyone who gives a shit need to grow a set and realise.... it's Origin.

Nah mate I saw the second half whilst "working" we don't have fox here

Lolz @ People having a go at Gallen for swearing at the referee and all that shit. Thurston does it ALL the time and the douche bag isn't even captain! And gets away with it! So please, spare me the bullshit.

Bill harrigon would have sent him

That was a tough game of footy to watch as a Qld'er. NSW definitely ambushed us and did exactly what they said they would do... Run the bigger Qld forwards ragged. They dominated the forward battle and that isn't something easily achieved against the Qld pack! I thought Farah was excellent, Gallen himself, and Tamou gave them plenty of go forward. Bird was also very good, but he is a grub of the highest order.

On the other hand, there is an even bigger difference between the Qld and NSW backline. Even with Cronk having the worst performace I recall seeing from him, and Slater a bit off his game, we looked dangerous every time we came in NSW's last 20, while NSW never looked like scoring, except from a dropped bomb.
Still, we will need big improvements from Cronk, Harrison and Scott, if we want to decide this series in Sydney, they were frankly well below par.

So no, NSW wasn't the better team, but they were certainly good enough to rattle Qld and can look back with pride to this game.
I know there's gonna be uproar in NSW about the refs calls, but they were both justified imo.
- Jennings can't come running from 40mtrs, throw a punch as the 4th or 5th man in, and expect not to walk.
- On the GI try, it's simple really... Farah kicks the ball into GI, who then grounds it. And even if GI didn't ground it, it should be a penalty try, as Farah deliberatly kicked the ball out of his hands. That's still illegal AFAIK...

On the Broncos players, Civo clearly struggled to cope with the NSW speed around the ruck and from the line in his first stint, but was much better in the second. Thaiday was himself really, maybe not as strong in attack as usual, but certainly great in defense. Hodges was quiet, but still did his trademark dummy runs and trademark defense, although he was seriously let down by Cronk, who had a night to forget. Gillett came in to relieve the pressure and seemed a bit caught out with the different beast that is Origin, but he will be better for it. Finally, the best Bronco was Hannant, he bent their line with each run, defended strongly and didn't get nearly enough time on the paddock imo. Hopefully he can back up against the Storm!

Finally, Nate Myles MOM? He did plenty of good work in the ruck, but seriously... Tate deserved it by far. It's incredible how he turns into a superhuman when he puts the marron jersey on!
Johnathan Thurston was a good second with his decisive work leading to both Boyd's tries, and Hannant was the third best for mine, despite his relatively short stint.

Foxtel sport update is saying Gallen was 'having' a go at the ref, going up the tunnel at half time.

IMO: NSW were the better team tonight.

I can't believe they didn't win, and that they only scored 2 tries from dropped bombs. They had all the possession and field position. Carney, Pearce, Farah produced NOTHING.

Gotta gree with everything JaseC said.

My thoughts from the game:
1. Our forward pack was SOOOOOOO slow. We literally just got back the 10 as farah was already passing the ball. Too slow for origin. Need to find a way to speed them up, or slow down the play the ball more. I got sick and tired of seeing the "33m" gained on screen when we had the ball. 30m, in 5 tackles... thats 6m a tackle. pathetic!!! We played this game from our own half.
2. Hodges did nothing but useless dummy half runs.
3. Tate. Tate. Tate. He is QLD spirit personified. I never doubted him, but what i did doubt was his ability under the high ball, yet he was the only one who didnt drop one tonight! He easily made the best runs from dummy half, and was our best forward on the field. Civo and co, look at tate and get inspiration from him. No idea how he didnt get MOTM.
4. Cronk's kicking game was dreadful. Straight to the blues everytime. Thurston and smith need to kick more.
5. Inglis is a freak and needs as much ball as possible. He fended off the first defender every time yet we just dont give him enough early ball. That comes down to our shitty forward pack tonight tho
6. Thurson saved the day i thought. Without him we dont win. easy.

Only change for next game would be to drop civo. it wont happen, but we need a player like mcguire who can play 80 without tiring after 5 mins.

and as for the inglis try. it was a deadset certain try. farah played at it with his legs 100%. if u play at it with ur legs, its either going to be a penalty, or if u do happen to free the ball, its going to be play on. same result if farah slapped it out of inglis' hands. he played at it, end of story

QUEENSLANDER!!!!

This^

Many times in the second half I was thinking we were gone

Hodges has never really done much in Origin. If Yow Yeh was fit, I'd play him and Tate on the right.

for sure Farah and the forwards got the roll on. They got into our half/out of their own half way better than QLD did. But when they got inside the 20 they had NFI. Carney was useless. Pearce was MIA. Hayne looked dangerous when he had free reign to run in broken play.

But there was no decent set plays involving Farah, Pearce and great close runners like Lewis, Williams and G. Stewart. B. Stewart didn't TOUCH the ball in the attacking 20.

Yeah yeah, new spine, whatevs. They had no plan in attack at all.

Dudd Carney ........had NFI tonight.

582443_10150825568143379_572908378_9620532_1547418043_n.jpg

-> Hayne - Honestly, if I'm an Eels supporter, I'm dirty. If he had the right attitude he would be pulling those performances on a weekly basis. Definitely looks like a bit of a shithead though.
-> Creagh - Hasn't performed in the origin arena and they made the right decision dropping him and now he's back?
-> Tamou - went great guns early then ran out of juice... he's the future for them
-> T-REX - stop this guy please.
-> NSW execution - the 'Inglis' call didn't cost them the game. Execution did. NSW have to get this part of their game right for a chance
-> Buhrer - as predicted, came in at a weird time. Just let Farah play 80. I think Choc will come in for Buhrer surely

Overall QLD were off the pace. Our kicking game was sub-par. Which is why Lockyer is deadset one of the best game winners in RL history. He may not be the flashiest or most skillful, but his demeanour, approach and execution in a game is second to none and he makes it look easy. Once JT and Cronk settle down we are sweet so I'm not worrying. We just needed to calm the **** down and settle. Kick deep and wait for the opportunity then pounce. I thought that would be second nature to Cronk but I think he was a bit nervous.

btw, how does hayne escape punishment for a clear punch, not shove or push, PUNCH to thurstons jaw?!!

Last edited:

Active Now

• The Don
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.