PRE-GAME Game I 2019

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Cody Walker and Josh Addo-Carr are going to boycott singing the national anthem prior to the game.

Who fucking sings it anyway?

Cody Walker and Josh Addo-Carr are going to boycott singing the national anthem prior to the game.

Who fucking sings it anyway?

Some players do sing it (or "mouth" it), but no one calls it out or anything. Seems shitty if they did.

Some players do sing it (or "mouth" it), but no one calls it out or anything. Seems shitty if they did.

Yeah, they are going to boycott is because it does not represent Australia’s indigenous heritage.

They feel it should be changed. Thurston has also backed them.

Yeah, they are going to boycott is because it does not represent Australia’s indigenous heritage.

They feel it should be changed. Thurston has also backed them.
I support their actions. The anthem was written when the White Australia policy was thought civil. I think it should be scrapped and a competition for a new anthem that celebrates both the ancient and new cultures be run.

I support their actions. The anthem was written when the White Australia policy was thought civil. I think it should be scrapped and a competition for a new anthem that celebrates both the ancient and new cultures be run.

There's literally nothing offensive about it though. In fact, it's actually welcoming.

There's literally nothing offensive about it though. In fact, it's actually welcoming.
We are young and free?
Suggests the country and culture is newly formed. It ignores the fact the original custodians have been here for millennia.

What is Advance Australia Fair then ?

Last edited:
A lot of the criticism is just looking for any excuse to make it seem offensive.
Some impressive mental gymnastics can be used to make anything seem offensive.

Last edited:
I always liked nz's anthem. How the first verse is in Maori language.

A lot of the criticism is just looking for any excuse to make it seem offensive.
Some impressive mental gymnastics can be used to make anything seem offensive.
Ok here's the original song with all five verses. As you will see it was written during the white Australia policy times and 'Advance Australia fair' refers specifically to the white race. Jings the cringe worthy verses where they proclaim their allegiance to the poms leaves no doubt who they were referring to.

No mental gymnastics are required just a few minutes to read what was written.

Verse One

Australians all let us rejoice,

For we are young and free;

We've golden soil and wealth for toil,

Our home is girt by sea;

Our land abounds in Nature's gifts

Of beauty rich and rare;

In history's page, let every stage

Advance Australia fair!

In joyful strains then let us sing,

"Advance Australia fair!"

Verse Two

When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,

To trace wide oceans o'er,

True British courage bore him on,

Till he landed on our shore.

Then here he raised Old England's flag,

The standard of the brave;

With all her faults we love her still,

"Brittannia rules the wave!"

In joyful strains then let us sing

Verse Three

Beneath our radiant southern Cross,

We'll toil with hearts and hands;

To make this Commonwealth of ours

Renowned of all the lands;

For those who've come across the seas

We've boundless plains to share;

With courage let us all combine

To advance Australia fair.

Verse Two

Verse Four

While other nations of the globe

Behold us from afar,

We'll rise to high renown and shine

Like our glorious southern star;

From England, Scotia, Erin's Isle,

Who come our lot to share,

Let all combine with heart and hand

To advance Australia fair!

Verse Five

Shou'd foreign foe e'er sight our coast,

Or dare a foot to land,

We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore

To guard our native strand;

Brittannia then shall surely know,

Beyond wide ocean's roll,

Her sons in fair Australia's land

Still keep a British soul.

In joyful strains the let us sing

Ok here's the original song with all five verses. As you will see it was written during the white Australia policy times and 'Advance Australia fair' refers specifically to the white race. Jings the cringe worthy verses where they proclaim their allegiance to the poms leaves no doubt who they were referring to.

No mental gymnastics are required just a few minutes to read what was written.

Verse One

Australians all let us rejoice,

For we are young and free;

We've golden soil and wealth for toil,

Our home is girt by sea;

Our land abounds in Nature's gifts

Of beauty rich and rare;

In history's page, let every stage

Advance Australia fair!

In joyful strains then let us sing,

Verse Two

Verse Three

Beneath our radiant southern Cross,

We'll toil with hearts and hands;

To make this Commonwealth of ours

Renowned of all the lands;

For those who've come across the seas

We've boundless plains to share;

With courage let us all combine

To advance Australia fair.

Verse Two

Verse Four

While other nations of the globe

Behold us from afar,

We'll rise to high renown and shine

Like our glorious southern star;

From England, Scotia, Erin's Isle,

Who come our lot to share,

Let all combine with heart and hand

To advance Australia fair!

Verse Five

Shou'd foreign foe e'er sight our coast,

Or dare a foot to land,

We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore

To guard our native strand;

Brittannia then shall surely know,

Beyond wide ocean's roll,

Her sons in fair Australia's land

Still keep a British soul.

In joyful strains the let us sing

Most of that is already cut from the modern version. No one sings all those other verses. I don't think anyone acknowledges them. It's been changed to be as inoffensive as possible already.

I'm not against change, but looking as hard as possible to be offended by something is a slippery slope IMO.

Last edited:
Most of that is already cut from the modern version. No one sings all those other verses. I don't think anyone acknowledges them. It's been changed to be as inoffensive as possible already.

I'm not against change, but looking as hard as possible to be offended by something is a slippery slope IMO.
I acknowledge that the sycophantic verses are no longer sung. The reason I posted them was to show you that 'Advance Australia fair' was written to mean advance the white Australian culture.

Sure they don't sing the out and out toadying verses, but the title and the line is still there. If you're white it probably means nothing to you. If you're a member of the dispossessed it's still highly offensive.

I'm not looking hard for something to be offensive either - hell a nine year old Brisbane school girl was able to understand the offensive connotations of the title.

I acknowledge that the sycophantic verses are no longer sung. The reason I posted them was to show you that 'Advance Australia fair' was written to mean advance the white Australian culture.

Sure they don't sing the out and out toadying verses, but the title and the line is still there. If you're white it probably means nothing to you. If you're a member of the dispossessed it's still highly offensive.

I'm not looking hard for something to be offensive either - hell a nine year old Brisbane school girl was able to understand the offensive connotations of the title.

I kind of agree with you, if it's offensive to indigenous Australians then can we simply just change it? What do you propose is a viable solution moving forward? Two national anthems?

I kind of agree with you, if it's offensive to indigenous Australians then can we simply just change it? What do you propose is a viable solution moving forward? Two national anthems?
yothu yindi - treaty

The Anthem has been slightly changed to drop the white Australia referral and translated and sung in the Yugembah langauge by the Kombumerri choir. Perhaps like the Kiwis they change advance Australia fair to advance Australians all or something and then sing the Indigenous version and the english version.

The Anthem has been slightly changed to drop the white Australia referral and translated and sung in the Yugembah langauge by the Kombumerri choir. Perhaps like the Kiwis they change advance Australia fair to advance Australians all or something and then sing the Indigenous version and the english version.

Do you think that will satisfy the Aboriginals? I too would love to live in a nation that operates as one but I'm concerned we'll never ever get there and the damage that's done is deemed irreparable.

Aren't there like 300 and something different indigenous languages though? Is there a main one that people will all be ok with or will the same problem arise in a few years?

Aren't there like 300 and something different indigenous languages though? Is there a main one that people will all be ok with or will the same problem arise in a few years?
Originally there was some 250 nations with approx. 300 languages. But all they need do is perform the anthem in whatever nations land they are on at the time.

I can't speak for everyone but many would be pleased with just the English version so long as it had the racist line changed.

Originally there was some 250 nations with approx. 300 languages. But all they need do is perform the anthem in whatever nations land they are on at the time.

I can't speak for everyone but many would be pleased with just the English version so long as it had the racist line changed.
Follow up question, how many people on that land will know the language? I've noticed during the anthem at the All-Stars games when they zoom in on the crown, usually on the indigenous people, that literally none of them are singing along. I'm fine with them doing it by the way, just trying to understand the logistics.

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Battler
  • Old Mate
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • Santa
  • Redux
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • broncos4life
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.