Gareth Widdop

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Why did we not sign this bloke?? He can defend, he can create, he can kick, he can goal kick, he can break tackles, he studied under the best in the big three, he's an international even if it is only England, he is a Broncos supporter and he wanted to play for the Broncos.

Given we have to put up sit Hoffman in the six, what the hell happened??

On a positive, how good was Milford!!

How nice would 1. Barba, 6. Milford, 7. Widdop, 9. Smith/Macca have been!! I'm a big Hunt fan but I would have taken that next year in a heartbeat!!

Didn't see the game but from what I saw on the Fox Sports match centre he had a blinder setting up 4 tries and setup 4 line breaks. Anything would've been better than what Hoffman served up last Friday.

It begins. The Broncos had a crack at him but the Dragons were willing to pay more.

because supposedly the dragons paid massive overs, and because we have griffin and andrew gee in charge of our recruitment.

I think Hoffman is an abysmal five-eight, and the decision to play him there is even more ridiculous. With that said, I don't at all blame our management for not signing Widdop. He cost the Dragons like 500k, and only ever looked good playing off the big 3 of Slater, Cooper and Cronk. Plenty of other players have looked good with those 3 and absolutely sucked after leaving them (hello Adam Blair).

I know I for one wouldn't want to tie up half a mil on a player in the situation Widdop was in. And as good as he was today, let us not forget it was against one of the wooden spoon favourites in the Tigers, who were without a few key players as well. I blame the club for our halves situation -- I cannot fathom, for instance, why we didn't go after a cheaper option that was looking for a start, like the returning Michael Dobson, or Chad Townsend etc. Cheap options who had something to prove. I won't criticize them though for not paying ridiculous amounts to Widdop, who frankly has proven nothing so far.

You could have put Corey Norman against the Tigers today and he'd have looked good.

Last edited:
because supposedly the dragons paid massive overs, and because we have griffin and andrew gee in charge of our recruitment.
So we should have paid massive overs?

Agree [MENTION=1917]Ari Gold[/MENTION] why we couldn't a Dobson or Holdsworth is beyond me. Heck even convincing Prince to play one more year.

I think Hoffman is an abysmal five-eight, and the decision to play him there is even more ridiculous. With that said, I don't at all blame our management for not signing Widdop. He cost the Dragons like 500k, and only ever looked good playing off the big 3 of Slater, Cooper and Cronk. Plenty of other players have looked good with those 3 and absolutely sucked after leaving them (hello Adam Blair).

I know I for one wouldn't want to tie up half a mil on a player in the situation Widdop was in. And as good as he was today, let us not forget it was against one of the wooden spoon favourites in the Tigers, who were without a few key players as well. I blame the club for our halves situation -- I cannot fathom, for instance, why we didn't go after a cheaper option that was looking for a start, like the returning Michael Dobson, or Chad Townsend etc. Cheap options who had something to prove. I won't criticize them though for not paying ridiculous amounts to Widdop, who frankly has proven nothing so far.

You could have put Corey Norman against the Tigers today and he'd have looked good.

I'm pretty sure Bennett had Dobson signed before Broncos decided to get rid of Wallace and Prince.

Chad Townsend looked like a good option, though. I would have liked to have seen him in Broncos colors.

Last edited:
With the salary cap rises and third party deals, we could have matched the Dragons I'm sure and with less under the cap. To me 450-500k for a player of his age, ability an potential is no problem.

Broncos could have matched their offer easily, but would he have been worth the price considering he was unproven without the big 3?

I think the Broncos turned him down because they had plans to go for Smith and DCE. Plus, they were chasing Hunt.

Last edited:
I'm sure all of that is true but would having Widdop been another selling point to Smith?

I'm sure all of that is true but would having Widdop been another selling point to Smith?

He already has Barba and Milford as selling points. I'm sure he'd rather those two and 500k a year extra than 500k less and Barba, Milf and Widdop.

Isn't Hoffman reportedly on 300k? Offload him and sign Widdop for effectively 200k, no brainer. Haha

Can someone give me an overview of the young halves coming through, and how good they are or could be?

Please

Can someone give me an overview of the young halves coming through, and how good they are or could be?

Please

I swear every post you make is you asking other people to do research for you and give you an in-depth analysis on their findings.. maybe you should do it yourself :P

I swear every post you make is you asking other people to do research for you and give you an in-depth analysis on their findings.. maybe you should do it yourself :P

Um this is the first time in months, have you been watching my posts? I have been answering peoples question and writing my own opinion.

As I have not seen an under 20's games I was seeking some information from who has more knowledge in that area.

This is a forum is it not? People are allowed to ask questions and people are allowed to answer them.

Is that alright with you?

P.S. I have looked for articles on this matter (Broncos young halves coming through) but there aren't many.

I was desperate to sign a half last year because I thought we would be in trouble (and it really looks like we are, with Hoffman being horrible and Hunt seemingly turning out to not be particularly good). I didn't think he was worth that price either based on talent, but I still think we really are desperate for a half and we might have to pay overs to get someone decent soon.

Yes, griffin and gee chose not to pay massive overs to a guy that all he has done to prove he isn't yet another guy to be made look good by the big three is steer a team through the wet cardboard defense of the tigers. Good work by them

Active Now

• Fozz
  • lynx000
  • Santa
  • barker
  • broncotville
  • NSW stables
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Painin the Haas
  • Waynesaurus
  • Manifesto
  • Foordy
  • Tim K
  • theshed
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.