CRICKET General Cricket Discussion - 2023/24

Respect man. If I saw weather like this this morning I wouldn’t have gone. Will be very surprised if there’s any cricket today. Cold, windy and bucketing down, welcome to Melbourne spring.
First match has already been called off. Let's hope this very light drizzle clears.

AEDAC384 2F72 4520 9358 303571FA1AE4

Very impressive start, hope he goes on to a ton tomorrow. He is clearly not afraid to block and leave, good traits to have.

NZ were 3/25 and then one of their players dropped Philips on almost nothing. It was an absolute sitter and now he is on 63*.

Ton on debut for Ashley Chandrasinghe.

107* at lunch. He looks very classy, some beautiful drives.
Interestingly he scored 144 in his Melbourne 1st grade debut for Casey-South Melbourne and he scored 5 consecutive tons in the Darwin Premier Cricket earlier this year. For a bloke who has only ever made state rep teams he is a very promising cricketer at the age of 20. Probably joins Teague in that group of really young batsman who have very bright futures having scored tons very early in their shield careers and having great records in 1st grade cricket.

Tim Ward keeping a bit of pressure on the Australian openers, good stuff. Last 3 shield innings - 82, 60 and currently 68*

Needs to go on with it

Tim Ward keeping a bit of pressure on the Australian openers, good stuff. Last 3 shield innings - 82, 60 and currently 68*

Needs to go on with it
100% but he isn’t the only one. Harris and Renshaw are doing great and well respectively. Obviously Warner won’t get dropped and whilst Khawaja has some versatility I can’t see them changing the openers situation anytime before the ashes. However with a stacked period until then rest could give an opportunity or two but I think that would go to the capped players before Tim Ward. Obviously Hunt is no pun intended in the hunt as well but he is yet to really back up that 90 odd score early in the season.

On another note I think Peter Handscomb could very realistically snag that 5 spot in the test team for the SA series. Head is struggling and Peter not only top scored in shield last year with a 49 average he is top scorer again so far with well over a 100 runs more than the next bloke. Obviously he has a ton, the 281* and the 95 in 3 games and some more of this form with Head continuing to fail and I don’t think the selectors will be able to deny selection. Obviously everyone has a bad taste in there mouth when Peter’s name comes up cause he was in a group of quite mediocre players that got to pull on the baggy green but he is averaging 38 in the test arena and some amazing form, confidence and maturity in shield could get him to really strengthen the batting for Australia if Head can’t start pulling his weight and soon. Like in the next game or two soon.

Saffas restrict India to 133.

3-30 after 7 ….

Finch can't seem to hit much in the middle at the moment, including this innings but that was a cracking six.

Active Now

• Astro
  • Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • Mighty Bronx
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • broncoscope
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.