CRICKET General Cricket Discussion - 2023/24

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I appreciate that you gave credit where its due .
I didn`t watch the 1st innings . Then tuned in at 3 for not many and Australia with a pretty slow run rate .And thought the pressure on the Aussies must be enormous . Slowly but surely they turned the ship around .
The review by Bhumra broke their hearts . Ball was clipping the stumps ...

Credit also to Marnus he wasn`t meant to be in that team a few months back .

It was kind of justice to extent the Bumrah one though as Smith shouldn't have been out earlier, that ball clearly hit him outside the line.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Speaking of Bumrah, I've always liked him, always seemed like a nice bloke but the pressure really got to him last night and I wonder if his nervousness might have caught on to other players. He just didn't seem like himself.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
A lot of ego got put aside last night, the normal Australian way is here we are big tough and fast watch us bowl at 150km and blow you away. If they had done that India win.

To recognise it's not going to work and change your thinking and bowl smart was great wrap for the coaching and captaincy and then the bowlers to enact the plan perfectly.

Australia has lost lots of games In India because we just refuse to change and treat every country like it's Perth.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
A lot of ego got put aside last night, the normal Australian way is here we are big tough and fast watch us bowl at 150km and blow you away. If they had done that India win.

To recognise it's not going to work and change your thinking and bowl smart was great wrap for the coaching and captaincy and then the bowlers to enact the plan perfectly.

Australia has lost lots of games In India because we just refuse to change and treat every country like it's Perth.

I wonder if last night might be the making of the captain and coach. I legit didn't think they had that smartness in them.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I've got five minutes until my next meeting (which I won't pay any attention to anyway BUT I wonder what the next Cup side will look like. I certainly wouldn't be pushing the guys who just won it out the door, they've more than earned their right to stay for as long as they want but I think they will need to start phasing in the next gen over the next 2-3 years to be ready for the next Cup. I believe last night was Warner's ODI retirement unless he wants to finish at a game in Sydney. It is probably time right now to move on from Stoinis and Carey and maybe even Smith, though no need to rush that.

For the next couple of series, I'd be looking at rotating through:

1. Head/Short
2. Green/McDermott
3. Marsh/Renshaw
4. Labushagne/McSweeney
5. Davies/Smith
6. Maxwell/Hardie
7. Inglis/Philippe
8. Cummins/Sutherland
9. Starc/Sandhu
10. Hazlewood/Ellis
11. Zampa/Sangha

Look to build the core squad out of that BUT I'd also be looking at giving a game here and there to Salzmann, he looks like the next Cummins.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008

after the captaincy, the planning and the execution we clearly had in this game and in the field last night, I wish we had another Ashes series this summer.. different format & opposition I know, but it feels like Pat Cummins has levelled up as a skipper & tactician

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
That crowd went from one of the loudest ever to replicating a Sheffield Shield match lmao. Deadset sounded like an empty stadium towards the end.
At least Aussies acknowledge good play.
Indians are counts like that.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
George Baily is also there on the bench ..

He has a fine cricket brain

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
At least Aussies acknowledge good play.
Indians are counts like that.
Yeah and I get the impression that for all the noise they make, they don't ever seem to try lift their side when they're down and need it. It's always just cheering something that has happened.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I think India didn't adapt, they would have had their idea about what Australia was going to do and when Australia changed it up and moved field placing stacking the leg side and slowed the bowling down I think India never got it back.

Suryakumar Yadav certainly didn't adapt. Trying to scoop slower balls, I reckon every coach and captain in the IPL will have that imprinted into their minds.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
My gut belief is that Kohli has always been more important than the team, he really hasn't won many trophies (from a team perspective). His IPL team has never won the IPL. The fans chant "Kohli Kohli", he gets out and it feels like their attitude goes from Kohli to "well, we may as well cheer for India now".

For one reason or another as great of a player as he has been, fans won't remember him for the World Cups he won or any of that. It will be individual accolades for the most part and it's not like he's surrounded by gumbies. In a weird sort of a way, I think India will be better off without him. When they beat us here a few years ago, Kohli actually went home early in that series. Of course if you dare try to relay that to an Indian fan, you can expect to be met with something like "How many 100's has Smith got?".

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
My gut belief is that Kohli has always been more important than the team, he really hasn't won many trophies (from a team perspective). His IPL team has never won the IPL. The fans chant "Kohli Kohli", he gets out and it feels like their attitude goes from Kohli to "well, we may as well cheer for India now".

For one reason or another as great of a player as he has been, fans won't remember him for the World Cups he won or any of that. It will be individual accolades for the most part and it's not like he's surrounded by gumbies. In a weird sort of a way, I think India will be better off without him. When they beat us here a few years ago, Kohli actually went home early in that series. Of course if you dare try to relay that to an Indian fan, you can expect to be met with something like "How many 100's has Smith got?".
Every debate not even including India goes that way

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I wonder if India started believing all of the hype about them and believed it was just going to happen for them when they got the first 3 wickets. Commentators were pointing out there seemed to be a change in their body language from that point.

Australia lifted, they didn't adapt and got embarrassed on their home soil as a result. They had a really good WC campaign, the type of campaign they had really should result in a win.

Ah well sucks for them lol.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Kev_Guz
  • Harry Sack
  • broncos4life
  • Allo
  • Dash
  • Xarr
  • bb_gun
  • Santa
  • Aldo
  • Bucking Beads
  • lynx000
  • ezpz
  • GCBRONCO
  • Morkel
  • leon.bott
  • Lostboy
  • Dexter
  • Shane Tronc
  • Jazza
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.