Gillett's comeback hits serious snag

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Matt gillett b0qk7i8uzq8u1jymzjvnwx0ei

Broncos forward Matt Gillett’s return delayed from broken neck delayed by calf injury

July 03, 2018

Gillett suffered an injury to his right calf at training on Tuesday morning and will go for a scan to determine if a possible return to matches in a month is still possible.

Gillett last played in April due to a neck fracture and said in early May that said he was hopeful of a round 17 return to action for the Broncos — which would have been this Sunday.

“It might be a bit longer now that I have this calf,’’ Gillett said.

“It would give my neck a bit more time to heal which I’d be happy with.

I’m taking it pretty seriously and want to make sure my neck is right.

“I don’t know if it (the calf) is torn or strained — it felt like someone had thrown a hard ball at it. It might be a blessing (to take more off before playing again).’’

Maroons coach Kevin Walters said before Origin I he had been told Gillett could be back for the third Origin game.

“I’ll get a scan in two weeks on my neck to see how it’s going,’’ Gillett said today.

“I’d give it a good two weeks of solid contact work at training once I get the all-clear to train.

“That would have been about 14 weeks I’d been on the sideline.

“There is still plenty of time if we can get into the finals. Jack Bird has had surgery on his sternum and hopefully he can be part of it too.’’

Gillett had his calf muscle heavily strapped when he arrived to fulfil a commitment to the Hear and Say foundation’s golf day in October at Sanctuary Cove in association with sponsors Suncorp Stadium.

Source: Courier Mail

He will certainly have some uncertainty when he returns, that neck injury would have been pretty scary.

Might as well sit out the rest of the season. If you aren't particularly confident in it, just take another 6 months.

Which words even imply that he's done though? I can't see anything

“It might be a bit longer now that I have this calf,’’ Gillett said.

“It would give my neck a bit more time to heal which I’d be happy with.

I’m taking it pretty seriously and want to make sure my neck is right.

“I don’t know if it (the calf) is torn or strained — it felt like someone had thrown a hard ball at it. It might be a blessing (to take more off before playing again).’’

Now, obviously, I didn't say he is done, I said I wonder if, as in thinking about the meaning behind the words. I have no idea but it can certainly be argued that he is not looking forward to returning any time soon. I could well be wrong too, hence using the words 'I wonder if'.

I would definitely scratch him from the rest of 2018 ... give him an entire preseason to get healed and confidence back in his neck.

we all have seen players with neck injuries come back a fraction of their former selves ... hopefully that doesn't happen with Gillo

Broken neck. Yeah, come back next year mate.

Considering that we're hardly strapped for 2nd rowers this year, just give him the rest of the year off. Rushing him back makes 0 sense.

Am I missing something? He's injured his leg, if his neck is right why would a calf injury now make everyone think he should sit the season out? We've got another two months of regular season plus hopefully a month of finals and a premiership to win.

I know we're 1000's to win but we're a lot more likely with Gillo in the team.

Am I missing something? He's injured his leg, if his neck is right why would a calf injury now make everyone think he should sit the season out? We've got another two months of regular season plus hopefully a month of finals and a premiership to win.

I know we're 1000's to win but we're a lot more likely with Gillo in the team.
He said that he wouldn't mind of the calf injury kept him out for an extra couple of weeks ... that says to me at least, that he has no confidence in the neck ...

If he starts being tentative or second guessing himself because he is worried about the neck, he will be a liability...

Better off he sit the season, so he can take his time and build his coincidence back up during the pre-season...

He said that he wouldn't mind of the calf injury kept him out for an extra couple of weeks ... that says to me at least, that he has no confidence in the neck ...

If he starts being tentative or second guessing himself because he is worried about the neck, he will be a liability...

Better off he sit the season, so he can take his time and build his coincidence back up during the pre-season...
It’s an awful injury and no one would blame him if he didn’t come back at all.

I think everyone's reading into his comments to much. He could just be trying to make a positive out of a negative.

If he'd been showing any kind of nerve damage, like Dwyer, then I'd be as concerned as some on here. But the normal stigma with a "broken neck", which normally includes nerve damage or even the more severe complications with the spinal cord, do not apply on this occasion.

Literally a hair-line fracture that could have ended up much worse if he kept playing, but apparently the only soreness came from the fracture itself, not any damage to the surrounding areas. So, really, very scary, but no different to a hairline fracture to any other bone in his body. And will likely heal stronger, so he's got more chance of damage with a brand new fracture than re-injuring this one.

If he'd been showing any kind of nerve damage, like Dwyer, then I'd be as concerned as some on here. But the normal stigma with a "broken neck", which normally includes nerve damage or even the more severe complications with the spinal cord, do not apply on this occasion.

Literally a hair-line fracture that could have ended up much worse if he kept playing, but apparently the only soreness came from the fracture itself, not any damage to the surrounding areas. So, really, very scary, but no different to a hairline fracture to any other bone in his body. And will likely heal stronger, so he's got more chance of damage with a brand new fracture than re-injuring this one.

I think the concern everyone is showing relates to how he is dealing with the injury mentally. Gillo himself is obviously a bit shaken by it all, even if he’s not explicitly saying it. Better he takes some extra time to get his head right, even if his neck is 100%.

Apparently he's going to make some announcement at 7:30am tomorrow? According to the Broncos Facebook page.

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  • azza.79
  • Wild Horse
  • mrslong
  • RolledOates
  • Confidor
  • winslow_wong
  • whykickamoocow
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • bb_gun
  • broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Hoof Hearted
  • broncsgoat
  • bert_lifts
  • heartly87
  • Financeguy
  • davidp
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.