Glenn: World Cup Snub Can Help Me

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/0fb3ac6e5b7a3a39602da39e5e72da05

BRONCOS forward Alex Glenn has revealed how he had to turn down a late call-up from the Kiwis ahead of the World Cup, after he was overlooked for the initial squad.
But that phone call with New Zealand coach David Kidwell could also lead to Glenn’s best season yet as he chases his first premiership ring.
The backrower has played 12 Tests for the Kiwis over his nine-year career but did not make Kidwell’s first cut for the World Cup.
Off the back of his disappointment, Glenn booked himself, fiancee Jemma and two children, Miller and Gisele, on a holiday to Bali.
Then came the call from Kidwell.

“I didn’t hear anything so I assumed I missed out,” Glenn said.
“I was shattered. I thought I gave it my all. Then I got a call real late before the press conference saying they wanted to bring me into the squad.
“It was kind of hard on my family because I’ve done it to them that many times where I’ve had to pull out of our holidays to pursue my career.
“I felt like I owed them and I couldn’t do it again. I had to knock it back. I told (Kidwell) I had to put my family first this time.”
While it was a sacrifice, Glenn has no regrets about the decision because of the memories he made with his young family.
And now he hopes it can also benefit him on the field, with a full pre-season under his belt.
Glenn said one of his best seasons was 2015, in which the Broncos made the grand final.
It was also one of the few years where he managed to get in a full pre-season.

“When I played some good football in 2015, I had a full pre-season under my belt,” he said.
“That was one of the positive things I took out of not making the World Cup squad. I’m 29 now and the hunger to win a premiership is at its highest.
“I don’t want to be one of those players who retires and, although I may have so many games and got to captain the Broncos, it’s really nothing unless you have a premiership ring on your finger.
“That’s my goal and who knows how long I have left to play rugby league. I have to make every year count.”

Good on Glenn for knocking them back. Nothing worse than late as notice. That kiwi side is a shambles anyway and I really hope that guys like Glenn will win a premiership ring before they retire.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Foordy
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • Spoon
  • Scorchie
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.