Gold Coast Titans Discussion

T

The Don

QCup Player
Jul 19, 2020
On request from @Huge and interest from a few other members, here is a thread to enable discussion surrounding news and thoughts surrounding the Titans competitiveness going forward. In order to start things off I'll add some personal opinions on differing members of the team due to my support of the club.

Coach: Justin Holbrook
Obviously the Titans have struggled in the past to find a coach able to both recruit smartly and get the best out of the players on the roster. Neil Henry was probably the last decent coach and unfortunately from what is known he became a victim of the Hayne signing which he was always against (I won't go into Garth as god he left us in a hole). In terms of thoughts on the current coach, I can only go off media speculation and his interviews/choices thus far. I feel for many of the games this year he has been experimenting with different players in order to figure out which he'd like to keep and move on as well as where they play the best etc. In terms of dealing with media and the roster, I feel he has done well in any interviews and appearances and from all reports the squad love what he is doing with the place. His recruitment in terms of players has been solid as well as assistant coaching staff with our defence and attack both seemingly improving. The stats in terms of for and against don't show this predominantly due to changes in the squad through injury etc. especially with defence.

Props: Ryan James, Shannon Boyd, Jaimin Jolliffe, Mo Fotuaika, Sam Lisone, Jarrod Wallace and Jai Whitbread. 2021 incumbents(Herman Ese'ese and Tino Fa'asuamaleaui)
The recruitment of Jolliffe and Lisone appears to be quality with both on cheap contracts. Jolliffe has been very impressive and the club has taken a club option to extend his deal in 2021 and Sam has done his job and was extended til 2022 I believe. Mo F is obviously the big one with him being arguably Titan's best player in a fair few games this season and he is also signed til 2022. Both Wallace and Whitbread have both played limited games this year due to struggles with adapting to the 6 again rules. Wallace showed improvement in last game against Panther's however, so jury is still out there. Not sure if Whitbread will be re-signed passed next year but no news there. Ryan James has essentially not played for 2 seasons with dual ACL injuries and is off to the Raiders next year. Shannon Boyd and the club reached a settlement and he will be released shortly as well from all reports. Both James and Boyd leaving should at least cover the signings of Ese'ese and Tino with Ese'ese supposedly coming for $400k. Overall the prop rotation should be significantly strengthened going into next year and beyond. You could argue that with James gone there is possibly a lack of experience which would be the only question marks on it.

Second Row: Cartwright, Proctor, Hipgrave, Fermor, Farmer, Stone. 2021 Incumbents (Tino Fa'asuamaleaui and David Fifita)
Honestly, an area where we were probably lacking this year. Cartwright has obviously been pretty disappointing given his alleged contract size. I believe he has asked to quit to move back to Sydney though so money freed up there. Proctor is currently off contract end of year and might be re-signed for experience though I am not completely sure. Hasn't set the world on fire, but hasn't done much wrong either. Strong defensively but pretty limited in attack. Hipgrave showed glimpses this season that he could be a quality option there with some stinging defence and solid runs whilst playing with a shoulder injury for 60 odd minutes (had to be pulled off the field virtually). A bit of heart the Titans seem to lack at times. Fermor has played around 3 games this year with one being in the centres due to injury. Not sold on his defence as yet but was strong in attack with some strong linebreaks which I haven't seen from the Titans in yonks. Some fans have wraps on Stone but honestly I believe he is just depth at this point. Not bad. The reason Fifita and Tino's signings are exciting personally is I believe recently we have had no attacking options at second row which have limited our options in attack. Should give a new element in attack which makes the side less predictable. I have noticed our set plays usually get read easily, which may be down to a lack of strike inside.

Lock: Arrow, Peachey at times. 2021 Incumbent (Herman Ese'ese)
Obviously Arrow going to South Sydney next year which at the time of signing was devastating for many Titans fans. I believe he got 800k down there and from all reports mainly left for his now ex girlfriend. Arrows main upside has mostly been through his ability to get upwards of 200m for most games last year. This year he is down to 120 which may be due to a lack of minutes or increased defensive efforts I am not completely sure. Peachey rotates in there off the bench I believe, not my favourite player but keeps getting wraps from every commentator for mostly running sideways from what I see. Also gives away quite a number of penalties/set restarts hence not a huge fan but maybe I am bias and missing something. I believe a few of our forwards can play here interchangeably with their main roles but Herman has been playing 13 for the knights so I'll assume he takes over as it stands. I haven't been able to watch many Knights games but apart from against the bulldogs, fans have said he has been playing well and used to be well thought of at Bronx from what I hear. Came fairly cheap so just needs to get through metres and defensive work to cover Arrow. Some may see it as a big downgrade but that is yet to be seen.

Hooker: Peats, Rein, Clark, Tanah Boyd (interchange)
Possibly where we have struggled most in 2020. Peats struggled early in the year with a few errors and many don't like how few runs he does out of dummy half which a lot of teams use to get on the front foot. His upside is probably his defence. Rein does run out of dummy half fairly often so this resulted in many fans preferring him but after a few errors in consecutive games he was also dropped. This brings us to Clark. Probably started the most now out of our hookers and nothing special as of yet. Compared to most teams, it is a position we definitely rare struggling in with service this year being fairly poor it must be said. Peats came back in for the Panther's clash last week and although didn't run much made 55 tackles in 60 mins or so and did provide better service then seen previously. It is not his preferred position so I have been trying to cut him some slack but Tanah has produced a lot of errors given his small amount of time on field. Does bring energy however, due to errors and sometimes a lack of direction his service does seem poor. A position I am unsure on currently. Probably looking to the market.

Halfback/Five-Eighth: Ash Taylor, Jamal Fogarty, Tanah Boyd, Tyrone Roberts
I will start with Roberts as I doubt he will be here next year, played well 2016, shouldn't have been brought back. Tanah Boyd has been filling in at interchange hooker this year so can't say much for his playmaking abilites as of yet. Fogarty has been solid without being the flashiest 7 going around. Won us the game against the Warriors after Ash was taken off with a concussion down 12-10. He seems to be becoming more comfortable each game and for the moment willing to see how he goes. I might be among the minority in thinking Ash has been playing better, however, a lot of fans seem to be bias due to contract size and previous poor performances etc. My only problem with Fogarty so far has been his lack of creativity in terms of end of sets in opposition half. It always seems to be bomb and hope Don gets it. Don't know if it has come off very often but there has definitely been a few poor kicks on that front. I guess combinations will take time given our backline has changed weekly through injury. Ash has been involved in something like 55% of our tries this season (highest percentage of any player in NRL), and has been steadily improving throughout the season. Many people still hold a grudge due to his contract however, if we can get him on a reduced deal next contract I would jump at it personally. Poor dummy half service has also restricted our attack I believe.

Centres/Wingers/Fullbacks I will finish tomorrow as my brain is fried.

Peachey rotates in there off the bench I believe, not my favourite player but keeps getting wraps from every commentator for mostly running sideways from what I see. Also gives away quite a number of penalties/set restarts hence not a huge fan but maybe I am bias and missing something.

You're not missing anything, he hasn't been good for years. The sooner you get rid of the remaining Panthers frauds, the better off you'll be. For your sake I hope Cartwright & Peachey are gone for next season. Following in the footsteps of other phenomenal signings from the Panthers such as Latu & Brennan.

I'm not convinced that Brian Kelly is much better. Atrocious defensively and ill-disciplined with the ball in hand.

If I were constructing a realistic hit list for the Titans for 2021, it'd look something like this:

Release: Arrow, Proctor, T.Roberts, James, Peats, S.Boyd, Peachey.
Sign: Ese'ese, Fa'asuamaleaui, Fifita, B.Smith, Hiku, Cust, Welch.

I have no idea if the funds work out, B.Smith is the only one you'd have to pay a decent amount for. 2021 Titans could look something like this, if properly constructed -

1. AJ Brimson
2. Corey Thompson
3. Peta Hiku
4. Brian Kelly
5. Phillip Sami
6. Cade Cust
7. Ash Taylor
8. Moeaki Fotuaika
9. Brandon Smith (c)
10. Christian Welch
11. David Fifita
12. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
13. Herman Ese'ese

14. Tanah Boyd
15. Jaimin Jolliffe
16. Jarrod Wallace
17. Sam Lisone

How do you block a thread so it doesn't pop up in the "new posts"??

What a troll job. Where is the block button?

Yeah lets not give Mal 'Im a big man' Meninga or Gordie 'knobhead' Tallis anymore air time on this forum.

Those guys are all about delusional self promotion and carrying out personal agendas regardless of the cost.

Lol, a Titans thread..
We are in the worst season of our history and still on the same points as the Titans, with all that separates the two teams being +/-.
Countless ex-broncos on big money at the Tits and the only half decent one has been Arrow, who is packing up and leaving anyway.
Yep, massive congrats on the Fifita singing. Keep rolling out the 'he isn't there for the money', but just remember he rejected (from memory) 2 offers, 900k and 1.1m?
At 1.25m a year, I think anyone would go to the Tits, I know I sure would.
I reckon the Tits should go after Milf, would compliment Taylor nicely in the halves I would think.

**** them. Have hated them from day one and the hate has intensified.

Probably my favourite game that I've been to was a playoffs match in 2009 and we beat the Titans 40-32 at the Titans home. We had a "Broncos section" behind the goal but it extended to the outskirts of it as well, it was so loud that night in that area.

geez some precious ***** in here. fair enough if we opened a subforum on here for them but a singular thread in a general rugby league subforum isn't a huge deal.

imo it's good to have other fans on here, otherwise the echo chamber becomes defeaning, and most oppo fans that have ventured here have been pretty reasonable.

geez some precious ***** in here. fair enough if we opened a subforum on here for them but a singular thread in a general rugby league subforum isn't a huge deal.

imo it's good to have other fans on here, otherwise the echo chamber becomes defeaning, and most oppo fans that have ventured here have been pretty reasonable.

You can always go to their forum and discuss their team. At any case I just want to know how I can not see this thread, if you guys want this thread to have your little love in with Titans trolls then have at it I just don't want to see it when I hit 'New Posts'.

I actually look forward to a day when the titans are competitive. I think they’re building toward something but their squad make up is looking dangerously close to ours and there’s a good chance it’ll shit the bed like ours has. No real leadership to replace James and Arrow.

Last edited:
You can always go to their forum and discuss their team. At any case I just want to know how I can not see this thread, if you guys want this thread to have your little love in with Titans trolls then have at it I just don't want to see it when I hit 'New Posts'.
I think if you ignore a user, it doesn't show the anything they post.

I think if you ignore a user, it doesn't show the anything they post.

Correct but it does show the thread once others reply. still hides all their posts including the thread starter.

I never use the ‘New Posts’ function fwiw

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • BroncosMan
  • Organix
  • Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.