NEWS Gorden Tallis: enough with the learning already

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The hardest man in the history of Rugby League (ask Adrian Morley) has stern words for his former club in a self-penned (ahem) piece for today's Sunday Mail. For legal reasons, these are not his exact words - unless "in quotes:"

El Toro Loco starts by accusing the club of "lacking strong leadership" and insists that "someone puts their hand up to explain the state of the club." He says he "felt the same pain" as us watching the recent run of mega losses orchestrated under Anthony Seibold's oversight. But he doesn't want to "bash the players up" because "they’ve been put in a situation they are not ready for."

B881889014z1 20190408102508 000gac1ft38j2 0 dubh096o991aqg4h3s2

Tallis: put them in the air; show you care

He points out they are the comp's youngest team, a symptom the "
Broncos’ recruitment and roster management has been poor" despite being the "NRL’s biggest and richest club" and having the "pick of the state when it comes to players."

He can't see the "
leadership needed at the club in general and at a time of need" and insists it has to "start somewhere, whether that's CEO Paul White, chairman Karl Morris, coach Anthony Seibold, recruitment boss Peter Nolan or board member Darren Lockyer. Someone needs to shine a torch on this moment of darkness and explain how the Broncos intend to fight back."

A skeptic of book learning in general, Tallis warns "
don’t let Seibold’s Harvard University education fool you – he throws up more theories than Einstein. When he was appointed coach to replace Wayne Bennett I said that it was the wrong decision and I stand by that."

Lessons

Enough with the learning

He reminds us "Rugby league is about passion, playing for each other and having the right mix of people to be successful." And demands to know "what sort of message does it send to the club when the CEO is being linked to jobs at the NRL?"

He slams the club's recruitment policy: "
they've got a 20-year-old kid in Payne Haas leading the forward pack," an "amazing young player but he cannot do the heavy lifting every week at his age." And believes "the club will burn him out." Then questions the club for shopping Alex Glenn to other clubs and then making him captain.

He'd like to ask Darren Lockyer if this is "
the same club he arrived at in 1993 as a young player. If not, why isn’t it and how does he plan to change it?"

But it's not just the losses, he admits he was "
part of the worst ever Broncos side in 1999 when we only won one of our first 10 games." He says it’s the "way you lose that matters most and not one person has been accountable for that loss, apart from Seibold claiming to accept responsibility in his media conference."

And then doubles down on the administration, demanding the players talk to their fans instead of refusing to do post-game interviews: "
these are the members who have pledged their hard-earned dollars to the club this year despite not being able to attend games. They have got nothing back and the club and players don’t even have the gumption to front up and apologise for that performance."

He says "
if they are scared of a journalist with a microphone and pen then they are playing the wrong game. The Broncos told the media that pays billions of dollars to broadcast the game they had bigger issues to worry about. Next time the players whinge about wanting a bigger slice of the pie they need to remember how they acted in times like this."

542f31dbbfd12d1863cfdeb9c3594316

Tallis: spin on this you ****

But don't confuse his rant with sour grapes, he reminds us "I had my time in the sun at the Broncos and enjoyed plenty of success and some hard times. I am a fan of the game and have been a paid member of the Broncos since I retired. I had all the emotions of every Broncos fan on Thursday night. I was hurt, sad and embarrassed. I want to know how it has got to this and what the club is doing to fix the problem – without the Harvard spin."

McHunt

Last edited:
I've been sick and tired of Tallis continually coming out against the club over the past few years.
But fk it, rip in Tallis.
This club needs a massive wake up call and I think the more and more "old boys" that come out and question the direction and what is happening at the club is a good thing.
Things need to start changing, and start changing quickly.
We are now at Sunday and haven't heard a word from the club.
It's pathetic.

Published reactions to this article as so far almost all positive, despite a general weariness with Gorden's inccessant diatribes against the club.

Published reactions to this article as so far almost all positive, despite a general weariness with Gorden's inccessant diatribes against the club.

Probably because so many people want to see the Broncos go down, which they, or rather, we, won't

Probably because so many people want to see the Broncos go down, which they, or rather, we, won't
Oh I don't think that's it. These are Broncos' supporters. It's the Sunday Mail, after all.

Last edited:
Oh I don't think that's it. These are Broncos' supporters. It's the Sunday Mail, after all.

I take your point however, for mine it doesn't change anything, other than to clarify: Tallis and those who support his rant, and his private agenda want to see this administration, this coach and a number of our current roster go down in flames, based on 2 results which ignore the context. Context is everything, and one of the key contexts here is our poor response to the new 6 again Rule, and ignores the context, the importance of, injuries and the inexperienced roster that was our only possible response to those injuries.

No single player would have or will fix this. Get the best side on the paddock and deal with our sloppy defence. If that doesn't work, then by all means rant. Until then, support the club and the players or STFU. Adding to the negativity only makes things worse for everyone.

I take your point however, for mine it doesn't change anything, other than to clarify: Tallis and those who support his rant, and his private agenda want to see this administration, this coach and a number of our current roster go down in flames, based on 2 results which ignore the context. Context is everything, and one of the key contexts here is our poor response to the new 6 again Rule, and ignores the context, the importance of, injuries and the inexperienced roster that was our only possible response to those injuries.

No single player would have or will fix this. Get the best side on the paddock and deal with our sloppy defence. If that doesn't work, then by all means rant. Until then, support the club and the players or STFU. Adding to the negativity only makes things worse for everyone.
I know he's a prolific ranter, but I don't think he's out on much of a limb here. Just about everyone - all the past players - are saying much the same thing. That's why I'd like to see them bring Walters in to rebuild a bridge to the past.

The Broncos can’t win. If we were to let the young players go to recruit experienced players, everyone would be questioning why we can’t hold onto our promising players. If we keep our youngsters and get injuries to our experienced players all at one time we get accused of poor retention.

You can spin it anyway you want it, but which forward have we let go recently that you would rather have than not have? I’d say Arrow is the only one. Wallace - dropped. Ese’ese on the bench, Gillett medically retired, etc.

The Broncos can’t win. If we were to let the young players go to recruit experienced players, everyone would be questioning why we can’t hold onto our promising players. If we keep our youngsters and get injuries to our experienced players all at one time we get accused of poor retention.

You can spin it anyway you want it, but which forward have we let go recently that you would rather have than not have? I’d say Arrow is the only one. Wallace - dropped. Ese’ese on the bench, Gillett medically retired, etc.

Josh McGuire seems to have his share of fans.

Josh McGuire seems to have his share of fans.
I think Arrrow is the guy but having him wouldn't change much. The problem is the quality of our previous senior players. While good in their day none were great leaders. Thaiday, Boyd, Macca, Wallace all declined. Gillett was broken. McGuire on the field was silly and not a leader off it. That is a problem with our culture. We didnt get a great leader from that group once Parker left. We had no succession plan for experience. We also signed lots of these guys to long term deals that were bad decisions. That doesn't even factor in Bird. Sure he has been unlucky but we should never have paid a long term million a year deal for a great centre hoping he become a 6 or 13. Last year we couldn't even find a captain and had to resign Glenn so we had one. He was worth keeping as he puts in but it wasn't a planned choice. Broncos never go to market to by an astute experienced purchase. We should not have kept offa on the money we paid, Oates was awful last year but got a good deal. Boyd is still being picked a year and a half after he should have been dropped.The Broncos have destroyed Milford where he does not know what to do. The Broncos arrogance used to be about their on field ability. Now its about everything they do. The Broncos deserve what is happening. That is the truth. As fans we just have to suck it up because our club fucked it all up on their own.

What a load of self righteous shit. We have injuries to our best players, a rookie pack, a new halves combination,an almost rookie coach and we need adapt better to the new Rule than we have.

Tallis needs to have his brain in a brace
I agree and he was pretty quiet after our first two wins this year. I wonder why. Why doesn’t he offer to help out and be productive for a change.

Yep, he would have been handy to have. You keep him though one of the younger players leave. Which one?

I’d keep Moose over Offa. I’d also keep Arrow over Lodge and Glenn (sorry Lexi).

edit: of course this is with the benefit of hindsight.

Last edited:
I’d keep Moose over Offa. I’d also keep Arrow over Lodge and Glenn (sorry Lexi).

edit: of course this is with the benefit of hindsight.

Give Lodge another year or two. I reckon he has what it takes, just needs maturity to temper the fire.

For mine, the prop we could use the most right now would be Petero - exactly the inspiration our younger forwards need, and we lack.

[automerge]1591503887[/automerge]
I agree and he was pretty quiet after our first two wins this year. I wonder why. Why doesn’t he offer to help out and be productive for a change.

Maybe 'cos he knows nobody here wants a bar of him

Last edited:

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • thenry
  • Howie
  • Dash
  • broncsgoat
  • Ondi
  • The Strapper
  • Dexter
  • NSW stables
  • Tristan1990
  • azza.79
  • Financeguy
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Sproj
  • mrtij
  • ozzball
  • bert_lifts
  • johnny plath
  • Bucking Beads
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.