Grand Final Memories

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
As Sydney & Manly fans gear up for the final in 8 days time, I can't help but sit back and reminisce about our own grand finals and all the build up and anticipation that went with it. Grand Final memories threads folks! I especially want to hear from those who have been supporting from the very beginning.

2000 - I was extremely fortunate, not a lot of fans get to witness their team win the premiership when they first start watching the sport but thankfully I was one of them. I never appreciated the fact we were rebuilding after life without Langer or anything like that - I just thought we were this utterly powerful and professional unit that was a good step above everyone else.

Being 10, I didn't really get too swept up in the build up. The extent of it was that I was happy to see the Roosters beat the Knights in the manner they did, but had to alter my perception pretty much 24 hours later when Brisbane confirmed their place. The actual build up to me is really blurry these days, I just remember hearing snippits on the radio about how the Roosters were confident which caused me to laugh and feel sorry for them at the same time as well as a Broncos GF team poster in the CM.

Gameday I had to listen to the bloody thing on the radio! First grand final and I got dragged to my mum's softball grand final. So I listened to the game in the car and would race all the way over to ma whenever we scored which thankfully wasn't too often! We won, came home and rubbed it in my dad's face and then had some Red Rooster while I watched the replay on telly.

2006 - This was a completely different story. This was the first year I became a season ticket holder so I experienced every high and low of the season. It was a real rollercoaster of a season, perfectly summed up in that Bulldogs game. That's where the build up really begins for me. See, I was on my way to Sydney just as the game was kicking off and only caught snippits of the first half as we were making our way through the terminal. It was so frustrating because it seemed like every time I had access to a television, the Bulldogs score had increased and it appeared that our fairytale season was over.

Fortunately the plane I was on had ABC radio so I got to listen to their half-time show. In true ABC fashion, they already had the Dogs penciled into the GF and were putting the boot into Brisbane. At that point, I just wanted the boys to give me something to smile about - a nice long field try would be enough for me...and boy oh boy did they deliver. Still remember the moment on the plane, Sherwin's great clearing kick and Hodges' even better return. That plane ride would still have to be the best, everytime the Broncos scored the majority of the room would let out a little cheer and I couldn't wait until I got to watch the replay. I still remember eventually getting to the hotel, watching the sports highlights and logging onto here and LU and reading all the celebrations - it was fantastic.

It was the perfect build up in a sense because I got to experience reactions from both Rugby League heartlands. It was interesting to be in Sydney when they didn't have a team to support because it just felt more like a celebration of the sport than the contest itself - meanwhile in Brissie it seemed like plenty of places were coloured with maroon and there were plenty of Broncos emblems about. Personally, I don't think I'd been more excited for the match. I was quietly confident we could win the match because it seemed like after the Bulldogs game we could beat everybody. Also the loss of Michael Crocker on the eve of the contest seemed to serve as a good omen - at that point Melbourne had never been beaten with him in the side and that run would continue well into 2008 I believe. Anyways, this didn't stop me writing all sorts of reports (written and player comparisons), playing through a number of GF games on Rugby League 2, buying every newspaper/magazine and watching through all the festivities (GF breakfast, Footy Show, GF replays and the full gameday coverage).

Thankfully this time I was home to watch this game and had just about every television in the house tuned in so I could pace nervously around the house. Game was well and truly in the balance right up until Tate scored. I couldn't believe that try when it happened, and honestly still can't. Berro got rewarded for terrible play but the way our senior players responded was amazing, particularly McGuire who threw an awesome hail merry pass which bounced up perfectly for us. At that point, it was our premiership to lose and every play from that point became crucial. It wasn't until Gus came up with his typical famous mocker that I believe we could win it. Ha, that still brings me a smile to my face. "Broncos are out of it...you could throw a handkerchief over them" next minute 60m set and not long after that boom, Lockyer field goal and that was that.

Winning the game felt like an ending to a Rocky movie. I even had the victory song blasting in my head as we won and must admit I was disappointed when Webcke didn't give us a 'Yo Allison' but that's just me.

I bought about every piece of merch you could imagine celebrating the GF and still remember the Sydney media denouncing the grand final as tarnished and most reviews seemed to be more about Simpkins than about the Broncos winning. No skin off my nose since the Broncos won but just proof positive that they're just a bunch of sore losers. Similar antics emerged when we won in 2000.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So that's my recollection, I'd love to hear some of yours.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
The first Grand Final memory I have as a true Broncos fan was 1998. I was around for the ones before then but I was always a bit cut up about what the Broncos did to BRL, so I never really threw my full weight behind them.

by 1998 I had finally accepted the Broncos and was developing a big man crush on Shane Webcke. I remember being dreadfully nervous before the final, particularly about the Bulldogs forward pack as Darren Britt was such a gun back then. I think I nearly threw the TV out the window when Renouf's try was disallowed in the first half and I didn't really loosen up and began to enjoy the win completely until about 5 minutes left in the game.

hayseed

hayseed

QCup Player
Feb 20, 2013
1992-Only arrived in the country in ''91 and whilst I was still getting over the shock of going back in time by 20 yrs, RL was a game I immediately took to as I pictured it as a bunch of idiots smashing the shit out of each other which about sums it up. The Broncos narrowly missed the playoffs in 91 but 92 was a different story, an absolute unstoppable powerhouse. Grand final week was massive, everyone was into it, I walked to my workplace to watch the game and everybody tooted their horn at me as I was wearing a Powers jumper. Watched the game at the restaurant, went of the Leagues club later on, got kicked out of there and partied on the oval where the majority of the fans were gathering, had long passed out by the time the team got there. It was a huge night but probably not as big as I thought it would be, In 1989 the Calgary Flames won the Stanley Cup, now that was huge where the whole city partied in the streets and I was smack dab in the middle. The Broncos celebrations weren''t even near that level but fun nonetheless.

1993-Broncos finished 5th but won every game to get to the GF and we watched the game at the Red Hill, the atmosphere was still huge and the place erupted when Carne scored the match clincher. Managed to last till the boys got back this time but got absolutely shitfaced to say the least, definitely my fave premiership.

1997-SL war, a very low key build up as RL was in tatters, only GF I have ever attended along with 56,000 other fans, the most stale environment I have ever been in. Don't even remember the score

1998-Brissy still suffering from the SL hangover and it was a very meagre build up, lot of fans walked away from the game. think I watched it from home and watched a very impressive Broncos performance as they easily disposed of the Doggies. Was a well entrenched family man by this time.

2000-Watched it at a mate's house and stopped at Red Hill on the way home, had only a fraction of the people as in 92/93, got bored and went home.

2006-Definitely the sweetest title as they endured a 7 game losing streak earlier in the season and that amazing comeback vs the Dogs in the GFQ, will never forget how happy Hodgo's pop was. Don't think I had a drink as my party days were a distant memory.

We plan to attend the next GF the Broncs participate in even if we are 80 yo when it occurs.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Damn you all, 6 years and counting.

Last time I felt we were a genuine force with no injuries was 2008, great year and crazy finish that has me chasing the dragon every year.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
As I've written before I was at the first GF in 1992. I had queued for hours to buy tickets, bad seating tickets (obstructed views ) early one morning at a shopping centre. They sold out as I breasted the counter but I convinced a scalper kid to sell me two for a massive $300 for the pair. My buddy was flying in from Townsville so I had to get some no matter what the cost, he simply said earlier he had faith in me so I couldn't let him down. He'd already booked and paid for the flight without even knowing we had them !

The night before we got on the #iss and woke the day of the game sick as dogs but headed for the game. At the gates we encountered scalpers with handfuls of good tickets they couldn't unload and were selling them at face value, $42.50 from memory ! The seats we had were behind the dead ball line and pretty crap but amazingly they turned out to be sensational in the second half. We were facing the Broncos who came at us all second half which is when the Broncos did the bulk of their scoring. The try to Cann was right into our faces followed up by the brilliant 90 metre try to Renouf. It was then that I understood how fluent Renouf was. Following that Cann scored again, again straight into us. If he kept going my mate and I would have had to tackle him !

I didn't realise it at the time but we were there on an historic day and until Alzheimer's gets me Ill remember it. Of course I can still look at the admission ticket if I need a memory prompt !

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
At the 92 gf as a youngish 15 yr old but a massive league fan and big broncos supporter living in Sydney. Was there with 4 mates, one of them a Dragons supporter but the banter was friendly. Obvious memory was Renouf's try but I was a massive Hancock fan so I kept yelling out for him to pass it to Mick. I will also remember Alan Caan's efforts.

Saw the 93, 98, 2000 and 2006 gf's live as well but 2006 was the most satisfying for me. I fucking hate the storm and had a piece of shit storm fan behind me giving shit to the broncos all pre game and left when we kicked the field goal. I gave him a massive serve as he walked down the stairs.

Other memorable moment, during the victory lap in 98 my dogs mate hung around and Tallis shook his hand and told him the Dogs will win one for him soon. My mate really appreciated that and became a big Tallis supporter.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I remember the 98 Grand Final quite well. Melbourne was on top of the table, and we still beat them by like 30 points.

Also I was living in Adelaide betweem 98 and 2000 and we didn't get NRL there, so I had to watch the inferior sport.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
I remember the 98 Grand Final quite well. Melbourne was on top of the table, and we still beat them by like 30 points.

Also I was living in Adelaide betweem 98 and 2000 and we didn't get NRL there, so I had to watch the inferior sport.
I think you're remembering 1998 wrong...

interesting that most of the people posting so far are only "recent" supporters.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, I was making a joke about having to live in Adelaide and watch AFL instead. :tongue_smilie:

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
interesting that most of the people posting so far are only "recent" supporters.

:glare: what do you mean, "most" are only recent supporters? 7 people have written in here and of them, 4 were around for the 1992 Grand Final and 3 of them have written specific recollections about that Grand Final. I would actually say that most of the people posting so far seem like long-time supporters.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Do you have anything to add to the thread AP?

This isn't the thread for judging other members.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
Well it's 3-3 actually.

well ... since I think we're both capable of basic maths, its fair to say we're just categorising people differently.

besides, whether it is 3-4, 4-3, 3-3-1, 3-3 doesn't really change the fact that there is a mix of supporters, most of whom have been following the Broncs for 10+ years

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I think you're remembering 1998 wrong...

I think he meant the prelim result: Broncos 30 - 6 Storm

Funny how you show up as soon as anyone mentions anything about Melbourne...

How old were you in 1998 btw, 7?

Last edited:
Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Are you thinking a reverse bandwagon....pile onboard when the team has gone to ****?

Weirdos....
That's so post modern.so I guess this means we will get all of souths old supporters.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
92 and 93 are my favourites. I still remember how crazy Brisbane went in the build up to both....the Newspapers had coupons for stuff at the 7-11 on game day and there was a bunch of other promo stuff as well. I'll never forget going to Red Hill on both occasions though....that atmosphere as the bus pulled up.

06 has crept it's way into my favs list as well given the 2010 revelations regarding the Storm. The fact that we were expected to get beaten was also sweet.

hayseed

hayseed

QCup Player
Feb 20, 2013
Damn you all, 6 years and counting.

Last time I felt we were a genuine force with no injuries was 2008, great year and crazy finish that has me chasing the dragon every year.

Why only 6 years? R u one of those "know it all" immigrants like Porthoz and I?

Active Now

• barker
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • Bucking Beads
  • Galah
  • Brocko
  • HarryAllan7
  • broncs30
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncs1459
  • Nerd
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Browny
  • broncos4life
  • Manofoneway
  • winslow_wong
  • Maroon4life
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.