Grand Final Memories

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I was a young Roosters fan in 2000 and I remember being confident and excited that the Roosters were in the grand-final. Dad has told how upset I was at losing.

I was at the 2006 grandfinal I went with my uncle who is a Broncos die-hard we flew down the morning of the game and came back early the next day and celebrated with the team at the leagues club. Throughout the week my dad kept telling me the Storm were superior and far stronger and the Broncos had no chance of winning so it was great to rub it in his face for a bit afterwards, I still remind him of it everytime we play Melbourne.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
1998 Premiership is a special one to me. We had a side with some of the best players in the world and was good to win a unified competition.

2000 was great as it was confirmation of our dominance for the whole year. It's become more impressive in hindsight as there have been several teams in the years since (Eels in 2001, Storm in 2006 etc) who have had terrific years, had the minor premiership wrapped up early, cruise into the GF only to stumble at the final hurdle.

2006 was the sweetest win of all. Tbh, the week before was maybe more exciting. To be down and out at half time against the Bulldogs in the Preliminary Final and to surge back the way we did in the 2nd half is the stuff dreams are made of. The actual GF was gripping and and the quality of the game was outstanding. I can understand how some neutral supporters would have found it boring but Broncos and Storm fans would've have found it edge of the seat stuff.

It's become even better since the revelations of the salary cap cheating. Even cheating they Storm still weren't good enough. What a great feeling.

Great thread, btw. This club has had some great times. Hopefully there are many more just around the corner.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
06 has crept it's way into my favs list as well given the 2010 revelations regarding the Storm

I agree. It's great knowing we beat them despite the cheating.

Does anyone remember some of the post match reporting about how the Storm were upset about some of the refereeing decisions (the Slater strip etc). Like they can talk.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I agree. It's great knowing we beat them despite the cheating.

Does anyone remember some of the post match reporting about how the Storm were upset about some of the refereeing decisions (the Slater strip etc). Like they can talk.

TBH we did receive some controversial calls from the referee. Matt King's try being disallowed, Berrigan running behind the runner and Hodges touching a pass from Cronk that went into touch yet we awarded the scrum.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
You're right, Broncoman. The 50/50 calls did go our way most of the time. It's still tough to believe the King try didn't get awarded. I just meant that they can't really complain. Who knows, if they were following the salary cap rules, Cronk, Slater and King may not have even been there. That's the point I was getting at.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Everything went right for us in that game. Smith got injured relatively early, Geyer dished up his worst performance of all time and we received the rub of the green. I still don't think the refereeing was as bad as people make it out to be - the only call they got 100% wrong was the Berrigan obstruction. Rest were all 50/50s.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Everything went right for us in that game. Smith got injured relatively early, Geyer dished up his worst performance of all time and we received the rub of the green. I still don't think the refereeing was as bad as people make it out to be - the only call they got 100% wrong was the Berrigan obstruction. Rest were all 50/50s.

Hodges definately played at a ball that went over the sideline and we got the scrum, nothing 50/50 about that one.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Pass was forward from Slater to begin with.

The only other non-50/50 was when Stagg tackled Slater over the sideline with like...10 seconds left on the clock. Basically, the call had little to no affect on the game.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I don't remember the plays themselves or any particular event that helped us when we beat the Storm but I certainly do remember us having an extra man on the field in the shape of a referee. We got all the good decisions that day and if we had been on the receiving end would have been seething and most likely would have lost the game. Melbourne were dudded although the later revelations meant it was justice done.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
2006 was the best. The rest all happened when I was in school.

God how I would cherish another premiership now in my "adult" years.

As an aside, watching Souths against Manly last Saturday reminded me of how the young gun Storm side succumbed to the pressure against the hardened and experienced Broncos in 2006. Watching the Storm lose to the Knights this year also had Bennett written all over it. The way Tyrone Roberts smashed Billy Slater on suspicion reminded me of Berrigan wrapping up Inglis all night in 2006.

Storm were heavy favourites and full of (young) stars. The Broncos just wore them down and I distinctly remember Cooper Cronk losing it in about the 60th minute.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
lol at people calling them 50/50.

broncos player knocks ball over sideline, ref gives broncos feed....how is that 50/50 again?
the disallowed melbourne try was a try as clear as day as well, nothing 50/50 about it.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
broncos player knocks ball over sideline, ref gives broncos feed....how is that 50/50 again?

Pass from Slater was forward so it was justice

the disallowed melbourne try was a try as clear as day as well, nothing 50/50 about it.

Hoffman knocked on

However, let's not turn this into a 2006 thread. This is about focusing on the positive Broncos related victories.

Last edited:
Broncos1995

Broncos1995

BRL Player
Mar 15, 2012
I have great memories of the 2006 Grand Final I was 11 at the time and it was also the first season I could sit through and watch a full game without getting bored. Anyway, I remember the week leading up to the final people didn't give us a chance they were too old and didn't deserve to be in the final and so on........ But it was a great feeling being able to watch the team you support win the final after the flak the they coped during the season.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I have been lucky enough to attend three broncos grand finals in the flesh. Firstly, 1992, I was in uni, had a significant hurdle that set me on the path to where I am today on the Friday night of the week leading into the grand final weekend. Saturday morning flew to Sydney with my brother and his family and then enjoyed a great grand final from a broncos fan's perspective. We had great seats and it was my first time at the football stadium.

1997- went to the superleague grand final. I had season tickets for many years and went with mum and dad. They were overseas so a couple of friends filled in and once again it was a good night. I can remember having a few drinks in the club under the stands after the game with some of the players there.

1998 - I paid for mum and dad to travel down and their accomodation and tickets and I came down later to join them for the grand final. One of my cherished memories, a great game and a very fond memory of my parents (who have both since passed on).

Active Now

• Bronco bob
  • KickHaas
  • pennywisealfie
  • Brocko
  • Morkel
  • Strop
  • Galah
  • BroncosAlways
  • thenry
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • DrGee
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • scobie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manofoneway
  • Lostboy
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.