Grand Final Memories

L

Lockyfan05

BRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
2006 is undoubtedly the greatest broncos gf win of all time. Against the odds, Webcke's last game, it was what they call a fairytale. Hopefully there are many more Broncos Grand Final memories soon

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
2006 is undoubtedly the greatest broncos gf win of all time. Against the odds, Webcke's last game, it was what they call a fairytale. Hopefully there are many more Broncos Grand Final memories soon

I'm not so sure it was as against the odds as a lot of people make out.

The Storm, despite being minor premiers and beating us twice in the season, lacked experience in the big games. They only had 1 game of GF experience in their side.

We had over 10 times more GF experience in our side, all in key positions and in the forwards.

Bennett knew that all we had to do was get them into a grind and we would come out on top. That the pressure of the occasion would get to them. In those crucial moments, the Storm wouldn't be able to handle it and get themselves out of it. They would start to panic and start going away from what worked for them all season and play into our hands which is exactly what happened.

Despite the Storm scoring early, we were well in control of that game.

Experience matters in the big games.

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
06 GF on Fox League.

Yeah just finished watching it, its all the grand finals its sweet, not watching the one tonight at 10 o'clock even though i might force myself.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
06 GF on Fox League.

This is the one i missed but will always be the one that stays with me. I was on a 8 month around the world backpacking trip, after 2 and a half years of living in Manchester ENGLAND . I only got to watch the boys play every so often when living in the UK , so i wasn't really in touch with the game anymore .
I remember leading up to the finals i went weeks without reading anything about the bronx , as i was traveling through Africa and internet wasn't easy to track down . Weeks went by until arriving in South America, every week was a wait and find a internet shop to check the results. I think it was 2 days before the GF i actually found out that we were in fact in the GF against the dreaded storm.
Now the fact i wasn't home to cheer my team and that my partners whole family are storm supporters , was rather depressing. But the fact i was on a trip of a lifetime got me through. I was in peru in a town called arequipa and the morning that the GF was played i spent searching for a internet shop. Finally i get on the computer to check the score, i remember being so nervous and the fact it was the slowest connection ever didn't help. The screen slowly dropping down on the nrl site teasing me every cm it dropped and then finally the score yyyyeeeeooowww !!! The boys did it !
Screaming at the top of my lungs, neadless to say the 2 locals not sharing my excitement giving me strange looks lol I!! I will never forget it .

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
IMG 3033

Unread

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Culhwch
  • Lozza
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.