Grand Final remains anchored in Sydney

3e59c0efedba3a4f4b25227d26a66a29

NRL boss Todd Greenberg to pull Grand Final from NSW if government backflips on stadium promise
EXCLUSIVE, Anna Caldwell, The Daily TelegraphDecember 4, 2017 11:00pm

NRL boss Todd Greenberg has threatened to pull the NRL grand final out of NSW unless the state government stays the course on its $2 billion promise to build two new stadiums.

As the government comes under sustained political pressure on the commitment to rebuild ANZ and Allianz stadiums, Mr Greenberg said any variation would send marquee matches to Queensland and Victoria.

He said his commitment to NSW was “contingent on the stadiums program being delivered”.

“That means a new stadium at Homebush Bay and a new stadium at Moore Park.”

Labor is pushing for the money to be redirected to health and education. Leader Luke Foley has long opposed a rebuild at Moore Park and is not committing to plans to rebuild ANZ saying all options were “on the table”.

Mr Greenberg said other states — particularly Queensland and Victoria — had been lobbying to host big matches.

“Without the stadium agreement, we would have to do the best thing by the game and take matches interstate,” he said. “That would ensure our game was showcased in the best possible venues — and that our players and fans are able to experience world class facilities.

“We would need to do the best thing for the game and that means generating more revenue from the other states which are willing to pay to host (them).”

The NRL grand final is worth about $50 million to the NSW economy. The Daily Telegraph revealed last month Queensland had made a $10 million offer to the NRL to take the match, which was being considered. But NSW trumped Queensland, securing 25 years of grand finals by signing the stadiums deal.

Source: Courier Mail

“Without the stadium agreement, we would have to do the best thing by the game and take matches interstate,” he said. “That would ensure our game was showcased in the best possible venues — and that our players and fans are able to experience world class facilities.

Although i could be misreading things, this quote from Greenburg has me slightly concerned about the state of mind of the NRL ... sounds to me like he is trying to do anything to ensure the games is Sydney-centric, even if it isn't whats best for the game.

Although i could be misreading things, this quote from Greenburg has me slightly concerned about the state of mind of the NRL ... sounds to me like he is trying to do anything to ensure the games is Sydney-centric, even if it isn't whats best for the game.

Yep, that's about the size of it

And what's with Labour suggesting that footy fans having a nicer venue is less important than the education of our children and the health care of our nation? How dare they??

He's trying to pull what little weight in the world he has. He's got **** all, and I hope the Government spend the money on something that the people of NSW actually need. That's not two stadiums in a place with too many seats in stadiums.

Stop being a flog Todd.

He's trying to pull what little weight in the world he has. He's got **** all, and I hope the Government spend the money on something that the people of NSW actually need. That's not two stadiums in a place with too many seats in stadiums.

Stop being a flog Todd.
Yep, no matter what the NSW govt. do Sydney will get the GF. Why exactly does he need 2 stadiums for a GF anyway?

And to think in the last three years only one Sydney team has made it to the grand final

And to think in the last three years only one Sydney team has made it to the grand final

And that year the Broncos and Cows wiped each other out letting them through

And that year the Broncos and Cows wiped each other out letting them through
Haha that's right...no wonder a blind eyes been turned to the roosters salary cap, they are desperate. The thing I don't understand is that they can't give any good reason for why they won't move it out side of Sydney, it's just because sort of answer. Queensland has out done NSW crowds for years now, we've had more success as of late. Even Melbourne should get a go at hosting a GF over NSW

Biggest underused market in Australia, Todd’s doing his best to get them engaged when the answer is really to lower the ticket pricing and subsidise it to give the perception of a better product...

It'll probably be cheaper to fly to Sydney, get 2 tickets and stay 2 nights at a 5 star hotel than just getting 1 Suncorp ticket in a few years.

Active Now

• Santa
  • MrMoore
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Alec
  • johnyE
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  • Griffo
  • Tim K
  • Broncosgirl
  • Behold
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.