Grand Final - Sea Eagles vs Warriors (Post-Match starts pg 4)

By reports they were over by $303,000 in 2006, $459,000 in 2007, $957,000 in 2008, $1.021 million in 2009 and $1.04 million in 2010.

At first the NRL thought it was 1.7 million on the 5 years, but digging deeper it got to $3.17 million. (willing to bet it much higher)
if thats true then sure, thats some bad cheating even in 2006.

but cheating or not, the broncos still got the manly-styled referee favouring in the 2006 grand final.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...lary-cap-scandal/story-e6frg7mf-1225857053370

"- salary cap breaches amounting to at least $1.7 million over five years

- a salary cap breach of around $400,000 in 2009

- the salary cap breach projected to be $700,000 in 2010"

so in 2010 and 2009, $1.1 of the $1.7 million they were over was used up. 2007 they won the premiership, so wouldve had to significantly upgrade a large number of contracts for 2008. 2007 they wouldve had to upgrade contracts after winning the minor premiership in 2006 and making the GF.

so $600k in breaches for the year after a premiership win (2008), the year after a minor premiership and grand final appearance (2007), and then the year after......well after 2005 (2006) when not much happened at all. its safe to say that they wouldnt have been much over the salary cap in 2006.

Whatever

there was also the one near halftime where hodges clearly knocked the ball into touch and the referees said that it came off a melbourne player.

Was about 10 minutes before full-time. Slater (who was close to best on ground) makes a half-break, tries to link with Geyer (who was the worst) and Hodges looked to have gotten a faint touch to it, couldn't say 100% he did or if the pass was even legal, but a call that certainly went Brisbane's way.

I agree with Cox, the only blatant wrong call was the penalty we received to go 2 and then in the next set, 6 points in-front. Should have been a penalty to Melbourne but everything else was just 50/50's.

With that said, not only did the ref calls go our way, but so did the injuries, the biggest loss Melbourne has was Smith who copped an injury mid-game. Before then he was looking extremely dangerous but when he went off they were mostly looking pedestrian and Brisbane were winning the majority of the battles.

I'd go as far to say the ref's performance was more controversial in our game, but I can sleep easy knowing it helped us beat a pack of cheaters.

So AP thinks our Premiership is tainted because of some referee calls, but thinks that Melbourne's 2007 and 2009 Premierships are legitimate even though they blatantly cheated.

That'll do me.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned this - but Thaiday's play the ball in the prelim was penalised, yet Watmough's in the GF was called play on. ####ing ridiculous.

Guys, this is the 2011 Grand Final thread. No further posts on topics that do not relate directly to this game please. Consider this fair warning.

Talking about the Storm salary cap debacle is a natural flow of discussion? I have no issue with comments on past refereeing in comparison with this game, but I'll be damned if I'm going to read another circular debate between AP and the world on whether the storm deserved their punishment or not.

Guys, this is the 2011 Grand Final thread. No further posts on topics that do not relate directly to this game please. Consider this fair warning.

Sorry.

We just thought seeing as another admin was joining in, it was fine.

PS: Can someone change the thread heading to the Storm suck.

As Hasler has said.

Brett Stewart's "soul hasn't been cleansed" because the star fullback is awaiting an apology from the NRL.

It's not a big deal, no-one is "in trouble". It was a simple request to move away from a topic that has been done a thousand times over and is now being discussed for the thousand and first time in a thread that is not remotely related. I honestly thought most people would be grateful.

Fair dinkum, I reckon some people just like to have a whinge.

That's my last word on the topic.

Anyway, to get "back on topic" did you hear the sh1t about Brett Stewart and Gallop? Apparently neither of them will disclose what was said (so obviously it wasn't in the best taste) and apparently Stewart said to Gallop that he wanted an apology. Yet his brother comes out and says they can move on, they have closure. Move on? If you wanted to move on you wouldn't be bugging Gallop about an apology you ####ing bird brain idiot!!!!

I wonder if it's all just a media beat up though

Oh shut up the lot of you. It's an admin's job to keep things on topic. Schmix simply asked people do so

Keep complaining and the thread will be locked altogether.

Honestly. Kids!

Nah. If there was nothing in it then they would have just said, "Yeah we just put closure on the issue, it's all good now, etc etc". But they both refused to disclose what was said.

There was this guy who was some expert in lip reading and human behavior or something that was on Triple M and he said that he believes Stewart Pre-mediated what he was going to say by the way he had a quick glance at Gallop before receiving the medal. He also suggested that Stewart appeared aggressive when shaking Gallop's hand.

I don't think you need to be an expert in body language to understand the aggression he was showing.

Did the lip reader give his opinion on what was said. I've just assumed it was to the effect of "you owe me an apology". Haven't watched any youtube replay of the presentation.

The game is in absolute disrepute. The quicker the independent commission gets in and we have a separation of powers the quicker the game can get back on track. Doesn't appear to me that the players, the club administrators or the fans respect or have confidence in the current administration of the NRL

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...-gallop-says-commissioner-20111004-1l7bh.html

When asked about the matter yesterday, Grant, who will head the eight-member independent commission in charge of the game, threw his support behind the NRL chief. He took aim at Manly administrators for failing to offer the Stewarts proper advice about how to approach the face-to-face contact with Gallop in front of a large crowd and television audience.

''The commission fully supports the dignified manner in which NRL CEO David Gallop conducted himself during the grand final presentation and in the days that followed,'' Grant said.

''There are clearly appropriate and inappropriate times to raise issues of conflict, just as there is a responsibility on club administrators to provide leadership to their personnel in differentiating the two. The commission is yet to assume stewardship of the game but will continue to ensure players and clubs recognise the importance of protecting the image of rugby league.''

Hallelujah!

I.e. your halfwit footy players are a blight on your club. To the club: take appropriate discplinary action or prove that you discharged your duty to the NRL.

First time I've seen it. What a massive douche. :shake:

Last edited by a moderator:

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • barker
  • winslow_wong
  • Reds2011
  • Jason Simmons
  • Swordfish
  • kwomo
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • marw
  • Allo
  • mrslong
  • whykickamoocow
  • theshed
  • mrtij
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Bronco bob
  • FACTHUNT
... and 31 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.