Greatest Sportsman in the world?

Jebadude said:
OK so this thread has the potential to initiate an entertaining discussion on a worthy topic, particularly post-Olympics when we have fresh evidence. So why do some people have to ruin it??

Sorry, just wanted to defend unworthy critcism.

I already contributed my vote until Coxy just couldn't resist having a go at perfectly fine sports.

ningnangnong said:
Jebadude said:
OK so this thread has the potential to initiate an entertaining discussion on a worthy topic, particularly post-Olympics when we have fresh evidence. So why do some people have to ruin it??

I already contributed my vote until Coxy just couldn't resist having a go at perfectly fine sports.

No mate I wasn't having a go at you at all!!! Was having a go specifically at those who named this a pointless exercise and suggested that some sports aren't sports.

Jebadude said:
ningnangnong said:
Jebadude said:

No mate I wasn't having a go at you at all!!! Was having a go specifically at those who named this a pointless exercise and suggested that some sports aren't sports.

Oh, fair enough then mate. icon_smile

Maybe not relevant to this thread but it must be said: no one has yet equaled what the Don achieved, no matter what the era or sport.

Jebadude said:

I have a right to suggest that it is a pointless exercise. I could quote every persons post and argue why each particular athlete isn't the best?

Hammo said:
Jebadude said:

I have a right to suggest that it is a pointless exercise. I could quote every persons post and argue why each particular athlete isn't the best?

I have a right to say the mixing foods thread is a pointless exercise because nobody can say for sure whether its good or bad. But that would just be crap and spoil it and make it no fun. Same applies here.

Jebadude said:
Hammo said:
Jebadude said:

I have a right to say the mixing foods thread is a pointless exercise because nobody can say for sure whether its good or bad. But that would just be crap and spoil it and make it no fun. Same applies here.

Point taken. If, however, you did saya the mixing foods was pointless, I certainly wouldn't take offence to it. It's the internet.

Sorry Jeb, I agree with Hammo, it's yet another "who's your favourite" thread. I know they keep getting posted because there's bugger all discussion on this place at the moment, but seriously it amounts to "I like this guy" "I like this guy" and if anyone should dare suggest one of them is not the greatest, there's an all out argument.

So there'll be no discussion. Just people naming their personal favourite, maybe provide some argument as to why which actually makes their opinion slightly more valid, but otherwise - yes, pointless exercise.

And I wholeheartedly apologise for the derogatory manner in which I talked about some particularly sports. Golf is a great sport.

Coxy said:
Sorry Jeb, I agree with Hammo, it's yet another "who's your favourite" thread.

No its not, its now the Coxy and Hammo thinks this is pointless thread #32131

Whether you agree with Hammo or not - I care none. I believe a rule of this place is that if you don't want to post something that contributes to the discussion, don't post it at all. And before you go looking at the rules, no it's not there in black and white but we've always used this place with that as one of the general rules. Some people like to talk about things, whether some other people find it pointless or not - they should keep it to themselves. There's been plenty of pointless discussion in my eyes on this forum over the years and I am happy to just stay out of the thread and let those who are interested talk about it, so why can't everyone else show the same courtesy? It's just plain friggen rude!!

WTF!?

My answer to this question;
pennywisealfie said:
So after all this, the question must be asked, who do you think is the greatest sportsman in the world?

was;

Hammo said:
IMO trying to name a single sportsman, considering the vast differences on the different sports played across the globe, is pointless and futile.

I fail to understand how that was so "negative" or "snob" or whatever. Yawn.

That is my answer, to what the thread's question was. And, I think it's a rather poignant answer TBH. I bet if you asked an Icelander and then a Mongolian, they would have some very different answers as to who they think the "Greatest Sportsman in the World" is.

I'm sorry if you all think this is an "attack" on you rights to do whatever you do. I'll broker a deal; I'll be more understanding, if you all grow thicker skin.

pennywisealfie said:
Coxy said:
Sorry Jeb, I agree with Hammo, it's yet another "who's your favourite" thread.

No its not, its now the Coxy and Hammo thinks this is pointless thread #32131

Sorry dude, but you're wrong here. I never go into a FA Cup or Soccer thread, or football transfer etc. EVER. I don't like the sport, so I don't comment. Same with boxing, I don't know enough, so I don't comment. I hardly ever go into what song you are listening too(only once, as a request from someone) or whatever. I don't understand what you are on about.

I admit, I go off topic in some threads, but that's simply because I have an excitable personality, it's not because I don't like you.

Back on this topic;

You can't name a single Greatest Sportsperson in the World, because there are so many varied sports and opinions in the World.

There are a host of people from all kinds of sports that I can think of, it is a bit hard to name one person as a greatest of everything. Donald Bradman, Babe Ruth, Pele, Muhammed Ali, Jesse Owens, Tiger Woods, Wilt Chamberlain ... there are heaps of them. It would probably be between Pele, Ali or Jesse Owens if one had to be named IMO

Scotty said:
It would probably be between Pele

Ooh, look out, the Maradona boys will be in here soon ready for a fight to the death. [icon_razz1

My pick still stands in Roger Federer.

He's just phenonmenal. Completely dominated tennis. Doesn't have one weakness.

Nadal has a long way to go before his name can be used in the same bracket IMO.

Jebadude said:
Whether you agree with Hammo or not - I care none. I believe a rule of this place is that if you don't want to post something that contributes to the discussion, don't post it at all. And before you go looking at the rules, no it's not there in black and white but we've always used this place with that as one of the general rules. Some people like to talk about things, whether some other people find it pointless or not - they should keep it to themselves. There's been plenty of pointless discussion in my eyes on this forum over the years and I am happy to just stay out of the thread and let those who are interested talk about it, so why can't everyone else show the same courtesy? It's just plain friggen rude!!

Excellent post mate.

If only more people would take heed.

ningnangnong said:
Scotty said:
It would probably be between Pele

Ooh, look out, the Maradona boys will be in here soon ready for a fight to the death. [icon_razz1

Maradona was a cheat (Hand of God anyone?)

For soccer/football Pele

The Maradona-Pele thing really has been done to death. Maradona was better, its not even close.

Usain Bolt!!!! Oh yeah he's a super freaky freak.

Active Now

• BroncosFan_Corey
  • GCBRONCO
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Johnny92
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
  • Broncos Maestro
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.