Greatest Sportsman in the world?

When you say sportsman, to me you have to take into account sportsmanship as well. So Maradona isn't even worthy of a mention. He is a fat cheating crooked junkie piece of shit and is a disgrace to the sport. And to say Pele isn't close is a load of bollocks.

Scotty said:
When you say sportsman, to me you have to take into account sportsmanship as well. So Maradona isn't even worthy of a mention. He is a fat cheating crooked junkie piece of shit and is a disgrace to the sport. And to say Pele isn't close is a load of bollocks.

Sportsmanship is not a criteria I use when evaluating a sportsman. To be honest I couldn't care less about it.

You can call it bollocks that's fine. It is my opinion. From what I have seen Maradona was easily the superior player.

ok hammo, point taken, and sorry for having a go at you.

everyone knows my thoughts on Maradona, ive defended him a million times, i know im not going to change the minds of jealous englishman, so im not gonna try.

As for best sportsman of all time, I dont think it can be Ali, he lost too many times to be known as the greatest, just because he says he was, doesnt mean its true. Pele wasnt even the best player in his sport so hes out. It might actually be too hard to go past Michael Jordan. He played in an era when so many great players played including Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Shaquille O'Neill, Robert Parish etc. (i could go on forever) but Jordan was the best by far. lead the Bulls to 3 straight championships, then retired, then came back and won another 3. insane.

pennywisealfie said:

everyone knows my thoughts on Maradona, ive defended him a million times, i know im not going to change the minds of jealous englishman, so im not gonna try.

As for best sportsman of all time, I dont think it can be Ali, he lost too many times to be known as the greatest, just because he says he was, doesnt mean its true. Pele wasnt even the best player in his sport so hes out. It might actually be too hard to go past Michael Jordan. He played in an era when so many great players played including Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Shaquille O'Neill, Robert Parish etc. (i could go on forever) but Jordan was the best by far. lead the Bulls to 3 straight championships, then retired, then came back and won another 3. insane.

Just so you know, this comment is ridiculous. Sugar Ray Robinson is regarded by many experts to be the pound for pound best fighter in the history of boxing and he lost 19 fights.

pennywisealfie said:

It's got nothing to do with being English. He had amazing skill, but he was a cheating ****. If you can't see that then you're an idiot. Or you're just biased against the English. For no good reason as well (as with all Australians).

pennywisealfie said:

I thought we were just talking about current sportsman. If we're going talking about all time then yes I agree Michael Jordan would be up there. The things he did were just insane and there will never be a better player than him. When he was playing he was the most famous man on the planet, and that's no easy task for a basketballer.

We won't talk about his baseball career though [icon_lol1.

gUt said:
Bradman > Jordan.

Hmmmmmm, very hard to say mate. There is no doubt that Jordan is the Don Bradman of basketball and did equally incredible things in his career. Though I agree, if I had to choose I'd say Bradman. Very hard to name a top 5 but I'd say:

1. Don Bradman
2. Michael Jordan
3. Babe Ruth
4. Tiger Woods
5. <insert the winner of the entertaining Soccer debate here icon_smile >

Bradman, Jordan...

what about Layne Beachley?

7 time World Champion in her sport....which is a truly International sport. A female who has won entry and competed with men in her chosen sport.

There isn't too many 7-time World Champions in International Sport.

Tough call. So many with so many great features over the years.

Still, Rafael Nadal beats them all IMO.

If you were Hammo, I'd almost think you were baiting me :P

Coxy said:
If you were Hammo, I'd almost think you were baiting me :P

Blasphemy! I hate being mentioned in the same breath as a Wynnum fan wearing a Redcliffe Dolphins avatar. Blerrrrrgh. [icon_lol1.

In all seriousness though, SUCH a difficult question to answer and I don't even know about half of the great sportspeople in the world at the moment.

Would go with Federer of the current bunch - great on and off the court. Tiger Woods not far behind. Would have a list of about 15 if we were going all-time.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • sooticus
  • Old Mate
  • phoenix
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.