NEWS Gun Reynolds replacement Broncos want but 'can't afford'

BHQArticleImageLarge126

Brisbane is starting to look at life after Adam Reynolds as the champion halfback nears the end of his NRL career.

The 2014 premiership winner is contracted for 2025 but is currently long odds to sign another deal in the NRL beyond that.

It means the Broncos need a new No.7 - and at the moment there is no answer staring the Red Hill club in the face.

Reynolds told Wide Wide of Sports during pre-season he thought Ezra Mam had the ability to transition into a quality halfback and potentially replace him in the jersey.

But coach Kevin Walters didn't put Mam in the No.7 jumper once in 2024, despite having the perfect opportunity when Reynolds spent nearly three months sidelined by injury.

Legendary five-eighth turned Broncos director Darren Lockyer admits Mam doesn't strike him as a natural halfback.

"Not in the short term," Lockyer told Wide World of Sports' QLDER.

"I think Ezra is very much a player that plays what's in front of him, he's not an organising player.

"I think (Panthers playmaker) Jarome Luai this year, when he had to go to seven he was really impressive. But he's got a few more years' experience under his belt (than Mam).

"I think Ezra maybe in the long term is an option, but in the short term no."

The inability of Mam to step up leaves Brisbane with a glaring issue heading into 2025.

There's been ongoing speculation the club will try to bring Sam Walker back to Queensland.

Walker, 22, is in the midst of contract negotiations with the Roosters but rumours suggest he will want as much as $1.5 million a season in the coming years. Kalyn Ponga is currently the NRL's highest earner and pockets about $1.4m a year from Newcastle.

Walker is the most promising young halfback in the league and is considered next in line to Daly Cherry-Evans' Queensland jumper.

And while the Broncos would no doubt love to bring him home, Lockyer concedes the club won't be able to.

"Sam's a quality player, and I feel like the Roosters without Sam can't win the premiership," Lockyer said.

"He's getting better with every year and every game of experience.

"The salary cap probably restricts you from bringing someone like that to the club at the moment, because he's demanding big money.

"He's already got a decent offer on the table from the Roosters, even though it's well below what he's asking.

"The Broncos at the moment would not be in the market, could not afford that type of player."

Reynolds' exit at the end of next year won't free up a lot of money given he accepted a significant pay cut to re-sign with the Broncos for 2025.

And with guns like Reece Walsh and Payne Haas already on big dollars, the club will find it tough to splash the cash on bringing another superstar into the fold any time soon.

Lockyer says the Reynolds succession plan will likely fall to a young gun who will still only be 19 next year.

"The spine long term, I think there's a couple of players there... there's a young kid called Coby Black coming through, he's been pretty impressive in Q Cup," Lockyer said.

"He will have another year under his belt while Adam's there, and he's learning from Adam.

"I think there's options there, but you don't replace Adam overnight. It will take time."

WWOS

Black was sitting on the bench at the Storm game so he's clearly earmarked in the queue.

It's interesting that Badel has been banging the drum for us to throw the bank at Sam Walker. So whatever he's hearing must suggest someone is telling him Black isn't as close to ready as we think and signing Walker might actually be a possibility.

Make of that what you will.

But , but , but , he put in a grubber that led to a try in the trial .
He`s being held back and it`s all Billy`s fault . LOL .

Well he talks to everyone: the players, the coach, the board, club admin, the NRL official, the player agents, the scouts, police and other sports journalists. His entire life rotates around the Broncos. And, of course, he works for the Broncos owners.

But I'm sure he'd rather just make stuff up than rely on any of his sources.

Just on that.

The write up originally appeared yesterday as Walsh did not make a single media appearance at Broncos training this season.

It was pointed out to Pete by the Broncos that in fact Walsh did and that they keep all that data so they're rotating it.

It has since changed to Walsh did one in season media at Red Hill.

Pete made the original figure up.

Just on that.

The write up originally appeared yesterday as Walsh did not make a single media appearance at Broncos training this season.

It was pointed out to Pete by the Broncos that in fact Walsh did and that they keep all that data so they're rotating it.

Pete would never do that mate, he's the pinnacle of professionalism.

I know memory's not your strong suit, but what's a recent example of something he's made up? Preferably something that hurt you deep inside, leaving your penis limp and useless in your hand.

Well, well well.....

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF

Nobody will go to you blokes. Pressure cooker from fans and can't play behind a soft team...lean times for broncos
I cant speak for anyone else but the only reason I haven't ripped into you is because SURELY you either have a learning disability, are seriously depressed and lonely, or you're about 10 years old. It is so sad and just a joke that you're on here lol. I think you're probably giggling to yourself but there is no doubt everyone is laughing at you. If you're none of the above it's bloody sad, and I'm guessing you don't (and shouldn't) tell people in public what you do in private. It is so, so, so sad mate haha.. definition of a loser lol.

Just on that.

Never saw that so can't comment. I would think correcting an error isn't the worst crime to commit.

Pete would never do that mate, he's the pinnacle of professionalism.
It's a weird paradox when you make shit up about other folk you don't know, and that shit you make up is that they make shit up.

Langer debuted for the Broncos at 21.
Sure but he played state of origin the year before he was a bronco and was playing first grade brl for ipswich prior to that which we're all sure your aware of.

Active Now

• Maddy
  • IceWorks
  • NSW stables
  • teampjta
  • Johnny92
  • Waynesaurus
  • kman
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.