Half a report

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Went and watched Dearden today against the Bears. His defence was solid and the Bears tested him out. They deliberately ran their forwards wider trying to make him tackle. Page was standing a good three metres wider than normal running at the three and two in area. Page was a good test for him.

Dearden was very good at putting his body there. Arthars tested him early too and had two tries down his side in the first 10 minutes. He was probably too enthusiastic at times and would come up and in too much. Pauga was all lost out there and Dearden should have stayed with him.

Attack, he got in at dummy half a lot, set up on the left but Scarlett did all the kicking, he forced a repeat set at the end but probably needed a more attacking kick with two minutes left and down by eight.

Didn't run the ball a lot but directed and pointed a lot at what he wanted.

Last edited:
I know he's not in the 30- but thought it would be interesting to monitor the halves since it is clearly an issue. I am off to watch O'Sullivan today.

Dearden yesterday.

6 runs
18 tackles
1 miss
6 kicks
1 drop out.

Didn't engage the line, 22 passes.

Backs up what I saw.

Last edited:
I know he's not in the 30- but thought it would be interesting to monitor the halves since it is clearly an issue. I am off to watch O'Sullivan today.

Dearden yesterday.

6 runs
18 tackles
1 miss
6 kicks
1 drop out.

Didn't engage the line, 22 passes.

Backs up what I saw.

Based on the numbers all of the back-up halves are putting up so far I think Kodi & Milf can feel pretty safe at the moment, nobody even close to demanding selection.

Based on the numbers all of the back-up halves are putting up so far I think Kodi & Milf can feel pretty safe at the moment, nobody even close to demanding selection.

Can't get two sides of the game nailed down, both Dearden and O'Sullivan defend well but then do nothing with the ball or attack wellish and miss 6 tackles.

Last edited:
All i can say is no Patty, no win for Wynnum.

Unfortunately there are things stats just can't measure.

His organizing, how he directs the team on the field, his kicking game and the effectiveness of the kicks, his running game and the effectiveness of his runs, has he been spotting weaknesses in the defence and exploiting those etc.

Those are the things I would like to know more about.

O'Sullivan was pretty good today, nice inside ball for Norths' first try and absolutely outstanding defence to stop Nat Neale that close to the line. I was impressed by his robust defence. Doubt he missed too many at all and the Jets test you off the ball all day.

Dargan great ball for Shibasaki try- awesome awareness.

They got Norths around the field but Ahearn is clearly playing a massive part in that too.

Yeah, given the play starts with the 9 it would make more sense to drop Macca first to see if he's the issue. Changing the light bulb isn't going to solve the problem if your power is out.

**** me, our problems not just the light bulb it’s the whole fucking wiring in the house

I know he's still young himself, but I think Dargan might be our best pick until Dearden or one of the other kids is ready for the big time.

I know he's still young himself, but I think Dargan might be our best pick until Dearden or one of the other kids is ready for the big time.

On what I saw today (and I acknowledge it is only one game) I agree with you. He appeared to be the dominant half out of SOS and himself and he was doing a lot of talking and organising. He seemed to have first call on the ball as well.

Every time they write about Dearden he's put on more weight, it's six kilos not eight. Sattler's report is pretty much word for word I have written.

I don't agree about O'Sullivan's speed, never heard that before or thought it was an issue.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Jedhead
  • Aldo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
  • bb_gun
  • davidp
  • Battler
  • MrRobot
  • Midean
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Galah
  • TimWhatley
  • Scorchie
  • Skyblues87
  • mitch222
  • Jazza
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.