Have David Smith and Paul Gallen Ruined State of Origin ?

Discussion in 'State of Origin 2014' started by Mr Fourex, Jun 22, 2014.

1. CaptainHook

CaptainHook NRL Player

I think these comments are dead on and cut right to the heart of the matter. The problem with the "one punch, you're off" mandate is that it has opened to door for every other grubby act to be let go. The Tamou forearm in Game 2 was only a penalty because Myles reacted and it stopped play. It should have been penalised immediately. Penalise all dog acts and they'll stop doing it. If that means blowing a few early penalties both ways then so be it.

I like this point. I think it's a side effect of QLD's enormous success over the last 8 years. NSW are/were under pressure to break the drought so they'll resort to any low act they can. Whether it's Ricky Stuart blatantly trying to influence the ref with some of his comments on the eve of the decider of 2011 or the dog shots by Gallen in Game 1 of last year. Acts of desperate men trying to stop the rot for their team.

If a forearm (that won't be penalised) or punch is going to the give a team the slightest bit of advantage, more often than not, they're going to take it. I don't necessarily agree with it but it is what it is.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014