Head to Head

Coxy - Could you list both players achievements.

Cheers pal.

In 2002 Johns was in his prime and Alfie was in his last season. Alfie got the better of Johns in most of the games they played, including origin where Johns had a much better side around him.

Coxy, my view on Johns has nothing to do with what anyone on Channel nine says.
Johns had more to his game than Alf.
You are an intelligent bloke, surely you could see that.

Coxy said:
LOLZ at Johns lovers and their brain washing at the hands of channel nein.

You could say the same thing about people on a broncos forum arguing who is best between Johns and Langer. Of course people on here are going to say Langer, because apart from maybe Darren Lockyer, he's probably the best Bronco there has been so far.

Langer was a great player, but I'd have Johns in my team over Langer everyday of the week. More of a complete player than Langer. Better kicking game (goal kicking too), passing game and defence than Langer. Perhaps Langer was better at taking the line on, but I'd be happy to lose a little there to pick up on the aforementioned things

johns wins for sure! he is up there with the likes of amy winehouse and pete doherty!

oh we were talking about rugby league, my bad

Did Alf play in that game against the knights in 02 when we got thumped? I have a feeling that was when he was out with a broken thumb.

Yeah you're probably right. I didn't check the team lists on all the games, so was going by memory (and I am in the old alzheimers people tribe for a reason).

Raw Boned Youngster said:

My point is, has, and always will be that skill is only about 20% of what makes a great footballer. It's attitude, on and off the field, winning and losing etc that defines them.

Alf was as potent in a side being beaten convincingly as he was in a team flogging their opposition. He was instrumental, he was inspirational, and he was a great leader.

Johns would disappear if the game was gone, he would chuck massive hissyfits at teammates who fucked up, and was generally a dick off the field.

I couldn't give a shit that he could land a banana kick on a 50c piece, or throw a 50 metre cut out pass to his winger. He was a douche on and off the field, and his overall record in teams that proves it. Only 2 premierships in a star studded side at his and its peak.

Alf had a star packed side too, but converted that to 4 premierships in 7 seasons at his peak.

Langer > Johns. /argument

Coxyz said:
Raw Boned Youngster said:

My point is, has, and always will be that skill is only about 20% of what makes a great footballer. It's attitude, on and off the field, winning and losing etc that defines them.

Alf was as potent in a side being beaten convincingly as he was in a team flogging their opposition. He was instrumental, he was inspirational, and he was a great leader.

Johns would disappear if the game was gone, he would chuck massive hissyfits at teammates who **** up, and was generally a dick off the field.

I couldn't give a shit that he could land a banana kick on a 50c piece, or throw a 50 metre cut out pass to his winger. He was a douche on and off the field, and his overall record in teams that proves it. Only 2 premierships in a star studded side at his and its peak.

Alf had a star packed side too, but converted that to 4 premierships in 7 seasons at his peak.

Langer > Johns. /argument
+1,000,001

Coxy is correct.

Now Coxy can you provide me with the details of both players achievments ?

Thanks pal.

Coxyz said:
Only 2 premierships in a star studded side at his and its peak.

I'm not sure team premierships should really be used to determine if one individual is better than another. Would you say Shane Perry is a better halfback than Jonathon Thurston?

OXY-351 said:
Coxyz said:
Only 2 premierships in a star studded side at his and its peak.

I'm not sure team premierships should really be used to determine if one individual is better than another. Would you say Shane Perry is a better halfback than Jonathon Thurston?
Shane perry was not the key play maker in his premiership, Alf was the key player in 4 of his.

Yeah, and if you don't use their respective teams' performances, how do you compare them? Simply viewing what they were capable of doing is not a fair comparison. Sure, I saw Johns carve up a hapless South Sydney or Cowboys when they were languishing at the bottom of the ladder. I saw Langer do the same thing.

Dally M awards? Please, voted by journalists with their own bias and agendas. At least the old Rothman's medal was based on the opinion of referees who are out on the field and see the players up close, both in what they do and how they conduct themselves.

It's not even fair to ask players who played with both of them, because Johns was on the rise when Alf was on the decline. Few, if any players were involved with them both at their peak.

Rep honours? Alf was from Queensland, Johns from NSW. NSW had 4 times as many players to choose from - thus being selected ahead of others could be seen as an indicator of greatness, but at the same time, him carving up the rather lacklustre 2003 and 2005 Queenslanders isn't as great an achievement as Alf carving up NSW in 1998, 2001 and 2002 is it? Particularly since he was a player on the decline, particularly in 2002.

Judging different players is always subjective. You're entitled to your opinions, and I mine.

I'll think you're an idiot for thinking Johns is better than Langer, and vice versa.
That's life.

One thing to consider Allan Langer won 4 premierships with Kevin Walters (a great player in his own right) outside of him. Johns won one with his brother (a far inferior player to Walters) and one with Sean Rudder outside him (LOLZ).

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Emanon
  • heartly87
  • Hurrijo
  • Mick_Hancock
  • bert_lifts
  • Fitzy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Sproj
  • Alec
  • Behold
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • Brocko
  • Huge
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.