Head to Head

The Broncos could have won the premierships they did in the 90s with John Plath, or even Brett Plowman, playing halfback. Take Johns out of the newcastle team, and I doubt they'd have won it either time.

Buderus made Johns look good!!!!!

OXY-351 said:
The Broncos could have won the premierships they did in the 90s with John Plath, or even Brett Plowman, playing halfback. Take Johns out of the newcastle team, and I doubt they'd have won it either time.

I really don't know about that. I think people tend to underrate how important Alf was to the Broncos in the 1990s. Walters, as good as he was, wasn't a creator.

The Broncos wouldn't have won in 1993 without Alf. No way in the world.

Alf was the heart and soul of our entire 90's decade of dominance. Yes the Broncos had some legend players, but the season's Alf didn't perform, neither did the club.

The Gymp said:
One thing to consider Allan Langer won 4 premierships with Kevin Walters (a great player in his own right) outside of him. Johns won one with his brother (a far inferior player to Walters) and one with Sean Rudder outside him (LOLZ).

I don't buy that. You are correct in saying that Langer had a better 5/8th beside him than Johns did, but halfbacks win games off the back of their forwards, and Johns had some very good front runners to set the platform for him. I know, Langer did too, but IMO that whole argument that you have put forward is irrelavant to this debate.

Achievements and such factors can be considered unnecessary when judging who was the better footballer etc etc.

There is no doubt Johns was a dick on and off the field. He admits it himself. He admits he was a douche bag in his twenties and during his peak of his success, ironically he just happened to be a bloody damn good footballer... some people are just lucky.

Premierships, stats, off field crap and all that aside, I reckon Johns was a better footballer than Alfie Langer, but that was about it, Langer is a true champion - I don't think Joey is.

lockyer47 said:
Achievements and such factors can be considered unnecessary when judging who was the better footballer etc etc.

There is no doubt Johns was a dick on and off the field. He admits it himself. He admits he was a douche bag in his twenties and during his peak of his success, ironically he just happened to be a bloody damn good footballer... some people are just lucky.

Premierships, stats, off field crap and all that aside, I reckon Johns was a better footballer than Alfie Langer, but that was about it, Langer is a true champion - I don't think Joey is.

[eusa_clap.gi Great post, my sentiments exactly.

I see a split hairs difference in them just so happens I rate Johns that little fraction higher. Langer is a great bloke who people loved to play with and I wouldn't have swapped them for one second.

I think most people who rate Johns higher were too young to remember Alf at his best. Only possible explanation.

The Rock said:
Coxyz said:
I think most people who rate Johns higher were too young to remember Alf at his best. Only possible explanation.

I agree with this. The only thing that Johns had over Langer was goal kicking.

icon_smile So have you ever seen either of them tackle?

Not to mention, Langer's defence was so good that his technique was banned!!!

The Rock said:
Pffft! Langer was fine in defence, and take a look at Langer compared to Johns! There is a big size difference, Johns was taller and was a much bigger build. Not a fair comparison.

You said Langer was better than Johns at everything except goalkicking, he clearly wasn't a better defender just to name one thing.

Alfie also made the players around him play better, I don't think I ever saw that in Johns.

Flutterby said:
Alfie also made the players around him play better, I don't think I ever saw that in Johns.

[icon_lol1. That's the worst comment yet, that was what Johns was best at. He played (as a general rule) with worse players than Langer did and got his teams many times further into September than you would think they could have. Look, Langer was great and help others to be great. But to say Johns one of the greatest halfbacks the game has ever seen never made the players around him better is just crazy.

Not nessesarily true... I thought Bederus made Johns look good not the other way around.

Aeetee said:
Not nessesarily true... I thought Bederus made Johns look good not the other way around.

I totally agree with your comment! icon_thumbs_u

Aeetee said:

That's fine but your talking about the dynamic Johns had with 1 of the 100's of players Johns played with in his career.

I disagree Gymp, I often saw Johns let his team-mates down when things were going badly, rather than picking them up and inspiring to play better. Alf on the other hand rallied the troops when they were down. And when things were going well for Johns' teams, it wasn't because he made those around him play better, but because he mostly did it himself. And partially agree with Tee - Johns and Buderus both made each other better, neither player was as good without the other one beside him.

The Rock said:
[quote="The Gymp":3pk1ghyu][quote="The Rock":3pk1ghyu]Pffft! Langer was fine in defence, and take a look at Langer compared to Johns! There is a big size difference, Johns was taller and was a much bigger build. Not a fair comparison.

You said Langer was better than Johns at everything except goalkicking, he clearly wasn't a better defender just to name one thing.[/quote:3pk1ghyu]

Ummmmmm he wasn't better than Langer in defence when you take into consideration his size.[/quote:3pk1ghyu]

And Johns was only better at goal kicking because alfie didn't goal kick, right?

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Griffo
  • Spoon
  • Wolfie
  • bert_lifts
  • bazza
  • Brocko
  • Santa
  • Emanon
  • Fitzy
  • The Don
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncs30
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.