'He's ready': Bennett's tip for NSW selectors

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
MAROONS coaching legend Wayne Bennett isn’t about to help NSW win a State of Origin series.

But the seven-time premier coach has got one tip for Blues selectors — pick try-scoring machine Jimmy ‘the Jet’ Roberts in the centres.

“He’s ready,” Bennett declared when The Daily Telegraph sounded him out about his Brisbane Broncos flyer and his ability to lift to the next level in State of Origin football.

Roberts is vying with Josh Dugan, Dylan Walker, Jack Bird and Joey Leilua for the right centre role.

Despite his wayward off-field history, Bennett is convinced Roberts would step up to the mark.

“He’s playing great football for us and each week he’s got better,” Bennett said. “His form is excellent and Origin shouldn’t be too far away for him.

“He’s very good defensively when he’s on and he’s going great in attack. You could say he’s in a better position to be picked for NSW than he was last year.

“His football is much better, he much fitter and he’s in a much better place overall.”

Arguably the fastest man in rugby league, Roberts has been in slashing form for the Broncos, scoring three tries last week against the Gold Coast Titans to push himself into contention for a Blues jersey.

His seven tries this year are more than any other Blues centre.

With Josh Mansour out, much will depend on whether Daley and his adviser Peter Sterling are prepared to switch Dugan to the wing to make way for Roberts or Bird in the centres.

Leilua, for all his attacking strength and power, is seen as too big a liability in defence.

He has six tries this year, second behind Roberts of all the centres but has been found out numerous times defending on the Canberra Raiders’ right side.

Daley told The Daily Telegraph he is a fan of Roberts who he coached in the Indigenous All Stars and with the Blues emerging squad.

“His last couple of games have been really good,” Daley said.

“Hopefully he’ll continue that and he’ll maybe find himself in a city jersey in a couple of weeks and we’ll see what happens from there. Everyone knows what he’s capable of doing.

“With Jimmy he’s always been a talent but sometimes on and off.

“There might be a couple ahead of him but you never know what might happen. He’s in the picture for sure.”

The left side centre position is as wide open with five players — Michael Jennings, Jarrod Croker, Jarryd Hayne, Josh Morris and Tyrone Peachey all under consideration.

For all the Origin experience of Jennings and Morris, there is Huge pressure on Daley and Sterling to seriously consider Canberra Raiders skipper Croker. He is a wonderful competitor and one of the NRL’s most consistent performers.

Much will depend on how Hayne comes back with the Gold Coast Titans over the next few weeks, given his record in Origin and Test football before he left to have a crack at the NFL.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/0e2cc9af88241532775a3ba927cac5c2

Smart play from Bennett, he knows everyone in the NSW media hates him so much that if he supports Roberts getting an origin call up the media will find a way to disagree with it, thus decreasing Roberts likelihood of being selected.

Smart play from Bennett, he knows everyone in the NSW media hates him so much that if he supports Roberts getting an origin call up the media will find a way to disagree with it, thus decreasing Roberts likelihood of being selected.
Also good for him that Bennett has come out and backed him publicly.

Also reinforces the work he's been doing off the field and timing just so happens to coincide with when we're trying to re-sign him

Would be happy for jimmy if he got selected but I know if he doesn't he'll have a point to prove and will be bagging more hat tricks for the broncs!

We really don't want this to happen for multiple reasons. First and most importantly, **** NSW, and second, we really can't afford Jet's contract being blown out by the fact that suddenly he's an Origin player

The centres in contention should be: joey, Roberts, Bird (he's probably better on the bench anyway), Croker, Fergie (out of form, but a centre pairing of BJ and Ferg is intimidating) in that order. Nsw will get Jennings and Dugan.

I can't believe the NSW love for Dugan, to the point where they'll move him out of position to accommodate him.

If I was NSW I would prefer anyone other than Dugan in the centers he's a total spud.

Bird is probably their best bet at right center. Left center is a little tougher with no real stand outs. Peach is probably in the best form but he's not a true center.

I think Jarrod Croker's defence is still suspect despite his huge tackle on RTS, which was a cover tackle. He's never really shown that he can truly shut down his opposition center.

I hope he does get picked, for the simple fact that it will reinforce to players that if you come to brisbane we can turn you into an origin player if you work hard enough.

Thats a pretty big incentive for fringe rep players.

I think he genuinely supports his players rep ambitions and has in the past, sacrificed continuity in the team, by moving them to their potential origin or test positions (Maguire to lock is an obvious one), knowing they will be in the long term, better players and happier ones as well. It another reason I have so much respect for him.

Would be happy for jimmy if he got selected but I know if he doesn't he'll have a point to prove and will be bagging more hat tricks for the broncs!

Good tactic by Bennett to boost Jimmy's confidence and self belief as well

I think he genuinely supports his players rep ambitions and has in the past, sacrificed continuity in the team, by moving them to their potential origin or test positions (Maguire to lock is an obvious one), knowing they will be in the long term, better players and happier ones as well. It another reason I have so much respect for him.

Bennett would always encourage players to play Origin if they have the chance.

I actually think that's why he wouldn't allow Milford to play for Samoa. Perhaps he felt Milford was a chance of playing Origin last year.

Bennett would always encourage players to play Origin if they have the chance.

I actually think that's why he wouldn't allow Milford to play for Samoa. Perhaps he felt Milford was a chance of playing Origin last year.
Milf was ineligible for origin last year as he was banned along with Hunt.

Milf was on the verge of going to the next level early last year and had he played for Samoa I don't think the rules were in place that he could also then play for Australia?? Which they are now.

I don't think milf wanted to play the mid season test either and Bennett took it on himself to wear the brunt of the dickhead media

At least sign Roberts up before talking his stock up. Seems counter-intuitive.

Active Now

• Canga
  • Battler
  • Broncorob
  • kman
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.