Hoffman negotiations on hold

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Not only is the pay-packet better, the fullback position is Hoffman's preferred position and one that allows him to get more involved.

I don't think greed is the only motivator here and I should have made that clear in my original post.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
this stuff about it being a team game is nonsense. nobody on here would accept their boss telling them 'this company is a team so stop worrying about yourself as an individual and suck it up. Now sign on the dotted line and accept your lot'.

Uhhmmm.....you're wrong, it is a team sport.

and as for your employment, I for one have seen, heard of and even fired them myself, employees who do not want to be team players. The team will always be greater than any one man. IMO

Hoffman's "lot" is playing on the wing for Brisbane. It's where the team needs him to play. It's still first grade ....it's not a demotion.

If the reports are true.......he is being incredibly selfish and immature.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
People need to remember he still has 2 years to run on his contract ... alot can happen in 2 years. I'm surprised extension talks were happening this early

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Is there any direct quotes from Hoffman available. I just don't want to be one of those commenting on what Hoffman allegedly said or feels. His manager may be in his ear telling him he is earning too little so Hoffy could be being influenced to believe he is not happy or getting his due. Barba coming in 2014 to play fullback is something Hoffman has known about for months as the Broncos had been chasing for ages, it was old news but he has put his best efforts in and been close to our very best. Parkers been our best imo.

I hope Hoffman stays and he may still be a team player. A true professional will give his best regardless and I believe Hoffy will do that.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
No direct quotes from the man that i have seen so i've got no issue with Hoffman yet and i fully expect him to line up in the centres/wing next year and perform much as he has done this year.

He can privately fume all he wants and if the reports are true, i hope he can get players like Hancock and Sailor in his ear to let hiim know that being a gun winger aint a bad job.

If he really cant get over not being the Broncos fullback i hope we have the stones to say goodbye to him rather than trying to make him into a 5/8th or something equally crazy.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Can't believe the number of people already painting Hoffman as a sook/crybaby/selfish player. it is his career and he wants to make the most of it. he hasn't spat the dummy and said he refuses to sign or pulled a Blake Ferguson, he is well within his rights to look after himself and try to get the best deal.

this stuff about it being a team game is nonsense. nobody on here would accept their boss telling them 'this company is a team so stop worrying about yourself as an individual and suck it up. Now sign on the dotted line and accept your lot'.

Hogwash! If I asked to teach grade 7 (I consider myself a grade 7 teacher) but a new, more experienced teacher was coming in and the Principal said, no I need you to take grade 3 there's not much I can do about it. I can look for a transfer if I want, but I have to accept it and suck it up.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Feel a bit sorry for Hoffman TBH. He's never given less than 100%, and in stark contrast he's only had one bad season (and has looked awesome every other season) whereas in contrast Barba has only had one good season. People always say they'd rather reward effort and heart over talent, but I guess that is only true to a point.
This is misleading. Hoffman has only played one poor season BY HIS STANDARDS. Barba has been good for years (20+ tries per season), and has steadily improved until last year in which he showed an individual form streak that rivals Hayne's 09 season (which I still count as the bench mark). Admitting his form has dropped this season but with all the distractions that is understandable. When he actually made it on to the field he was more impressive than Hoffman has been at FB this year.

All of that said, I would be disappointed to lose Hoff as he is one of the best wingers in the comp.

Just a rough list of the fullbacks i'd have over Hoffman (roughly in skill order)
1. Inglis
2. Slater
3. Dugan
4. Barba
5. Hayne
6. Gordon
7. Boyd
8. Zillman
9. Milford
10. Tuivasa-Sheck (Despite limited games at fullback)
11. Stewart
12. Coote
13. Moylan
14. Tedesco
15. Reece Robinson

I think you are being a bit facetious after Boyd. Zillman is not better than Hoffman, and the rest under zill, although showing great potential aren't yet better than him. Also, as much as I hate Stewart, you're crazy if you think he shouldn't be after right after Hayne in that list.

Last edited:
P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Maybe back when they had a fulltime job and league was a good way to make some money on the side and play the game they love but they are professionals now, it's how they make their living this way and if they want better they are entitled to look elsewhere as anyone in any other job is entitled to. If my boss said I was now a janitor(and I'm not saying playing out on the wing or in the centres is beneath him, rather a different role) at my work I don't know how I would take it, I may even look at my options which I'd be entitled to.

I understand what your saying and agree how he would be dirty at the situation but there is always a positive to a negative situation and in his case a possible premiership or two if he looks at the bigger picture

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Not only is the pay-packet better, the fullback position is Hoffman's preferred position and one that allows him to get more involved.

I don't think greed is the only motivator here and I should have made that clear in my original post.
The pay isn't necessarily better at fullback, we forked out heaps for Folau for example. Hoffman's involvement generally isn't all that flash anyway from fullback.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I understand what your saying and agree how he would be dirty at the situation but there is always a positive to a negative situation and in his case a possible premiership or two if he looks at the bigger picture

He would still want to win a premiership sure, but if he believes that's possible elsewhere in the position he prefers when the chance arises then that's his right to take it. All we can ask of him while his at the club is to do his job to the best he can and his done that this season, I've seen other players during his time at the club asked to play different positions they don't prefer and put no where near the effort he has, including our own captain.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The pay isn't necessarily better at fullback, we forked out heaps for Folau for example. Hoffman's involvement generally isn't all that flash anyway from fullback.

Not necessarily true particularly if a club needs a fullback like say the Cowboys do for life after Bowen, it's an open market, if the club wants to keep him at off contract time they will need to make a deal worthwhile, you can't expect him to stay for less in a position he doesn't necessarily want to play in.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Give him a shot in the centres. It isn't as "embarrassing" as playing on the wing, I guess.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
As I said in the Ben Barba thread he has every right to be dissapointed in losing his favourite position but he is still going to get a spot in the 1st Grade Team on the wing so it's not all bad news.

Hoffman has had a very good season this year and has impressed at fullback but you can't knock down a player like Ben Barba.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
He would still want to win a premiership sure, but if he believes that's possible elsewhere in the position he prefers when the chance arises then that's his right to take it. All we can ask of him while his at the club is to do his job to the best he can and his done that this season, I've seen other players during his time at the club asked to play different positions they don't prefer and put no where near the effort he has, including our own captain.

We will have to wait & see how he responds to this knowing Barba will b around for 3 years . As for thaiday not putting in when he was up front that's laughable

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
Hogwash! If I asked to teach grade 7 (I consider myself a grade 7 teacher) but a new, more experienced teacher was coming in and the Principal said, no I need you to take grade 3 there's not much I can do about it. I can look for a transfer if I want, but I have to accept it and suck it up.

Um, I think you"re actually agreeing here. Like you say, you can look for a transfer of you want. That is all Hoffman is doing. He obviously prefers fullback and he is weighing up his options. Hoffman isn't doing anything different to what all of is do when considering a job

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Hoffman at FB is not a game breaker. Barba is. That's that for FB

Hoffman on the wing is as good a winger as there is IMO. Given JYY is unlikely to play there, and given Hoffman's exceptional finishing as a winger, that's his niche and if it were me, I'd be fucking proud to have that level of skill and be offered a Broncos jersey.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
The last player who wanted to be a fullback and subsequently went to another Club will play wing for the rest of his time there with the signing of a better fullback.

Given Barba and Milford will turn a team of potential superstars into a premiership winning one, I'd be sucking it up and revelling in the quality ball that Barba will be providing.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
The last player who wanted to be a fullback and subsequently went to another Club will play wing for the rest of his time there with the signing of a better fullback.

Yeah, but Beale is just not a very good player. He shouldn't be a first choice fullback at any club if they want to be taken seriously. And I don't think he'll be playing on the wing either, given they have the far superior Morris and Nightingale.

Unread

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.