How much better do we look now with a REAL dummyhalf

Bennett said himself that he wanted Granville. He was unhappy that the Broncos let him go.

But you completely missed the point of
The reality is we don't have any good hookers coming through and none of the good ones that we could actually get are coming off contract.

McCullough is definitely not in the 3 of hookers in the game.
so why would Bennett re-sign him for 4 years?

A few points...

Ben Hunt vs Andrew McCullough - Ben Hunt is the better player, McCullough is still the better dummy half. They're both guilty of being on auto-pilot at times, but McCullough has an underrated cut-out pass where he can put Milford over the advantage line which has been sorely missed and he just has better awareness overall around the ruck. There have been times where Hunt could have run but has just chosen to go with a nothing one off the ruck run. Defensively, there's no comparison, McCullough is head and shoulders above Hunt and unless Hunt really works on his technique it will always remain that way. As far as the team looking better with Hunt there, I can't agree with that at all. Across the past three seasons, the Broncos have played their best football with McCullough in the 9. If there was a common denominator this season, it's Kodi Nikorima in the starting team. Where Hunt does shine is individual brilliance and when he plays more like a half which is what we saw against Sydney.

McCullough is irreplaceable - This has certainly doesn't hold up anymore. Yes, the Broncos miss certain qualities he brings but it isn't like the Storm without Smith or the Cowboys without Granville the Broncos can still get by without him.

McCullough has signed on for four years - How many Broncos players were off contract this season? There were so many moving pieces that if you could lock down a few players pretty simply you'd take it. McCullough isn't a superstar, but he's a great club man and for Bennett very easy to get along with. Bennett could have taken the chance, punted him and looked to enter the market into the unknown but at a time where he was looking to sign Anthony Milford, James Roberts, Darius Boyd, Jack Bird etc. he was willing to compromise.

A few points...

Ben Hunt vs Andrew McCullough - Ben Hunt is the better player, McCullough is still the better dummy half. They're both guilty of being on auto-pilot at times, but McCullough has an underrated cut-out pass where he can put Milford over the advantage line which has been sorely missed and he just has better awareness overall around the ruck. There have been times where Hunt could have run but has just chosen to go with a nothing one off the ruck run. Defensively, there's no comparison, McCullough is head and shoulders above Hunt and unless Hunt really works on his technique it will always remain that way. As far as the team looking better with Hunt there, I can't agree with that at all. Across the past three seasons, the Broncos have played their best football with McCullough in the 9. If there was a common denominator this season, it's Kodi Nikorima in the starting team. Where Hunt does shine is individual brilliance and when he plays more like a half which is what we saw against Sydney.

McCullough is irreplaceable - This has certainly doesn't hold up anymore. Yes, the Broncos miss certain qualities he brings but it isn't like the Storm without Smith or the Cowboys without Granville the Broncos can still get by without him.

McCullough has signed on for four years - How many Broncos players were off contract this season? There were so many moving pieces that if you could lock down a few players pretty simply you'd take it. McCullough isn't a superstar, but he's a great club man and for Bennett very easy to get along with. Bennett could have taken the chance, punted him and looked to enter the market into the unknown but at a time where he was looking to sign Anthony Milford, James Roberts, Darius Boyd, Jack Bird etc. he was willing to compromise.
Agree with all of that. But, if you think Wayne Bennett will fall into re-signing a player for longer than he wants because he is "desperate" think AGAIN!

Agree with all of that. But, if you think Wayne Bennett will fall into re-signing a player for longer than he wants because he is "desperate" think AGAIN!

Where did I say Bennett was desperate?

A few points...

I think you make a good point about the awareness. So many times I've seen Hunt scoop up a quick play the ball and not run at the retreating defence instead choosing to dump it off. He really needs to exploit this better.

There are also the crash passes that macca puts on when we're 1-5m from the goal line. He's one of the better ones at setting it up and picking the right pass.

I don't think his passing is that bad. He's been given shit ever since the markers used to get out and hit his arm suggesting it was slow service causing it and even though that's been fixed there are still the easy calls of slow service to put him down, but never any evidence to back it up other than ZOMG do you even watch the game. That doesn't happen anymore and he is quite often required to throw 20m passes to the halves who like to stand wide and somewhat flattish

He still has glaring holes one being his kicking. He picks great times to kick (long only, his short game is horrendous) however it never has the legs to really put the defence on the back foot. It always seems to be 15-20m short of where you'd want it.

I think he also over plays his hand in defence often going out of his way to be in every tackle, whilst not a bad thing it does mean he gets gassed by having to make 60 tackles in 60mins. Although he has settled this down a bit.

I think he also needs to work his running game better. He often gets it from dummy half and doesn't look for support trailing back on the inside... and before you say it milf is quite often trailing him looking for an offload. Given he's not the quickest he really needs to be working on getting the trailing man into the hole rather than him trying to hit it.

Actually that is really something the broncos need to work on as a team the halves and fullback should be aware of the ruck speed and looking to exploit any offloads, quick plays and dummy half runs. When they're in their own half that's pretty much the only thing they should be focussing on with macca guiding the forwards to the right part of the field for the kick.

McCullough is only the better dummy half because Hunt hasn't played much there in years before the last 5 or 6 rounds. It doesn't matter anymore, but I'm positive Hunt would keep improving with an offseason there.

There are also the crash passes that macca puts on when we're 1-5m from the goal line. He's one of the better ones at setting it up and picking the right pass.
We've scored at least one, and probably another, off that type of pass just in the last 4 games, so Hunt can do it too.

It doesn't matter anymore, but I'm positive Hunt would keep improving with an offseason there.

What makes you say that? He hasn't improved in 4 full off-seasons at Halfback.

Great debate.. Both hunt and macca are good and both different strengths. Maccas defense is awesome but he is slow at passing or running on a quick play the ball. He does possess a good kick when required. Hunt well he has changed my mind. When he was stinking up the park at halfback i was perplexed as to why bennett would not drop him. At hooker he is a weapon. With his defense improving and stamina we now have 3 half backs really on the field at once. Genius. Je gives us another attacking option even if he doesnt use it he makes the opposition think he may thus opening up the line for the other 2. Should have signed him as our long term hooker. Broncs are going all the way this year its going to be glorious

This might be the worst thread ever. It's all very exaggerated bullshit really. McCullough isn't amazing but he certainly isn't as bad as some would have you think. He would be starting hooker for 13 other clubs too if they had the chance. He just suffers from the fact that he's not allowed to throw forward passes like the other 15 dummy halves in our game.

Alec said:
McCullough is only the better dummy half because Hunt hasn't played much there in years before the last 5 or 6 rounds.

Even when Hunt played there years ago, McCullough was clearly the better dummy half. The only time Hunt really shined in that role was when he'd come up with plays you'd expect of a halfback.

Macca isn't even that good at kicking, most of the time mis-kicking.
Nah that's wrong. He might fudge an attacking kick in the ten or so but all his clearing kicks are nearly always bang on. He has the best clearing kicks out of all our halves.

Even when Hunt played there years ago, McCullough was clearly the better dummy half. The only time Hunt really shined in that role was when he'd come up with plays you'd expect of a halfback.

Hunt was pretty shit in general back then. He only started to show his potential at the back end of 2013.

Hunt was pretty shit in general back then. He only started to show his potential at the back end of 2013.

Hunt had his moments, the problem was the positives he'd bring you would often associate with a half, not a dummy half.

That suggests to me there's more to it than a lack of experience.

......he was willing to compromise.

That says it all.....and it's really the basis of my gripes.

We shouldn't be compromising on one of the most important positions on the field. You want the best possible players playing in these sort of positions. Any less, and we're doing a disservice to ourselves.

Andrew can still be a nice guy playing in the QCup.

You want the best possible players playing in these sort of positions.

Like who?

Who should the Broncos have signed in place of McCullough this year?

Like who?

Who should the Broncos have signed in place of McCullough this year?

Ben Hunt ..... :lostit:

The bed was already made. Losing Granville and Parcell made it impossible not to sign A.Mc. Signing him for 4 yrs though....wtf?

Active Now

• Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Lozza
  • Wild Horse
  • Astro
  • cento
  • Broncosgirl
  • Aldo
  • Pablo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ell.d33
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Behold
  • BooKhaki
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Allo
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.