How rich are we really?

78 year old multi billionaire. He could lose 1m a month for the next decade and he wouldn't notice it but really even 1-2m in paperbags is an enormous competitive advantage. Of course I'd never think the Roosters would do that but salary cap rotting is chump change for a personal hobby if you're a billionaire.

You underestimate how much these rich ***** love money ...

He may tolerate losses for a year or two, but it will get old for him fast

You underestimate how much these rich ***** love money ...

He may tolerate losses for a year or two, but it will get old for him fast
I honestly think you're overestimating it. Plenty of rich ***** in soccer for example, blow insane amounts of money for their teams. When it's business it's business, they will do anything for a dollar but sports has always been an outlier where there is plenty of exceptions. After all, it's a private company, they're nothing like public companies and everyone has a hobby that doesn't make financial sense, and in billionaire world millions is like our loose change.

I honestly think you're overestimating it. Plenty of rich ***** in soccer for example, blow insane amounts of money for their teams. When it's business it's business, they will do anything for a dollar but sports has always been an outlier where there is plenty of exceptions. After all, it's a private company, they're nothing like public companies and everyone has a hobby that doesn't make financial sense, and in billionaire world millions is like our loose change.
Mostly the oil rich ones have zero care the others take a slice off the top. It depends how much of their wealth is tied up in other ventures though.

European soccer vs Australian rugby league is like comparing apples and oranges

European soccer vs Australian rugby league is like comparing apples and oranges
how so? It's same same just chump change vs mega dollars.

If I was a billionaire I'd happily throw a mil a year under the table to give a couple of superstars 500k more to make it impossible for them to leave.

Or you know, set up their entire family with free cars in exchange for Instagram posts, copy of the key for my holiday apartment, etc.

It's unbelievably easy and is pennies for a billionaire. Clive Palmer spent 90m at the last election for shits and gigs.

Didn't read the thread but it doesn't matter how rich we are, no one really wants to play for us anymore.

We are now one of those shit clubs that don't win a premiership for 20+ years. Might get close... but now we have 3 qld teams and after our last 5 years we have no bargaining power.

The biggest problem is that News just won’t roll over and sell us to anyone, and because it’s public, I’m sure ASIC will have issues with anyone who could attempt a (hostile) takeover.

Ultimately we still generate more money for them as far as advertising clicks, eyeballs on Fox, ears on radio and honestly just being fodder for the rest of the competition and media than we do in club revenue/profits that their shares will ever do.

Not trying to get overly-political, but it’s their MO. Owning things a lot of times isn’t for making money, it’s for influence, power, or as a means to an end.

And we’ve fallen so far as to now be the latter.

I feel the Controlled Demolition thread I recall existing a little while ago is still very relevant. Until we can be rid of a News rep as Chairman, along with useless ***** like Lockyer on the board, we’ll still be pushing shit up a hill

And that’s not even accounting for the NSWRL, their constant mal-administration and manufactured outcomes

Didn't read the thread but it doesn't matter how rich we are, no one really wants to play for us anymore.

We are now one of those shit clubs that don't win a premiership for 20+ years. Might get close... but now we have 3 qld teams and after our last 5 years we have no bargaining power.
Yet the broncos still rate in the top three clubs players would most like to play for in the annual NRL players' poll ..

Over the years, we've all heard the line thrown out that if there was no salary cap, the entire Australian team would play for the Broncos because of how much richer we are than other clubs. But are we really that rich?

Sure, we had that Clive Berghofer thing built (which hasn't exactly helped with results). The salary cap also of course (supposedly) evens the playing field in terms of spending on players. But what about things that have no cap? When we were trying to sign Craig Bellamy, the half dozen or times we offered, we didn't we make him an offer he simply couldn't refuse? Instead we have Kevie on one of the lowest coach salaries in the league.

Shit doesn't make sense to me.

The centre looks good and is awesome but in a discussion about wealth it doesn't really feature- the state government donated the land to the Broncos and the Federal Government and Clive paid for the building.

It's not really an example of wealth.

We are not a rich club. We are hamstrung by rules put in place by the NRL and owned by a company whose only value seen in us is through the clicks they receive on their website. Being run well doesn't mean anything if we can't use the money earned and we won't ever be prioritized by our owners because they benefit more from us losing than they do from us winning.

What we support is no longer a sport team. We are supporting a business.

The centre looks good and is awesome but in a discussion about wealth it doesn't really feature- the state government donated the land to the Broncos and the Federal Government and Clive paid for the building.

It's not really an example of wealth.
Clive Berghoffer donated 3 million, part of the deal was that the Broncos would invest more time and money in Darling Downs schools. Nothing is free. The Federal Government pledged 5 mil, meaning the club paid for most of the centre, which you've left out, not surprisingly. The whole thing costed 27.2 million by the way. So the Broncos paid 19.2 million dollars.

Also the land is leased to the Broncos. In 2021 the Broncos paid 1052000 in property costs.

We're not even the most followed anymore!!! Storm and Eels 1 and 2, with South's just behind us! 😞

Clive Berghoffer donated 3 million, part of the deal was that the Broncos would invest more time and money in Darling Downs schools. Nothing is free. The Federal Government pledged 5 mil, meaning the club paid for most of the centre, which you've left out, not surprisingly. The whole thing costed 27.2 million by the way. So the Broncos paid 19.2 million dollars.

Also the land is leased to the Broncos. In 2021 the Broncos paid 1052000 in property costs.
They had a fundraising committee, one of the new directors Asplin was on it, most of the funding didn’t come from the broncos, otherwise their cash reserves would have dwindled, they didn’t. The lease is also a peppercorn lease, I don’t think the club pay much at all for it. The state government funding was also procured on the basis that the building could be used for community groups.

We're not even the most followed anymore!!! Storm and Eels 1 and 2, with South's just behind us! 😞

Kinda makes sense:
Storm adult 6 game membership: $105
Eels adult 5 game membership: $148
Broncos adult 6 game membership: $345!!!

(Plus they get a hat/scarf in their packages 😞)

They had a fundraising committee, one of the new directors Asplin was on it, most of the funding didn’t come from the broncos, otherwise their cash reserves would have dwindled, they didn’t. The lease is also a peppercorn lease, I don’t think the club pay much at all for it. The state government funding was also procured on the basis that the building could be used for community groups.
Numbers mate, who else gave the club money for it? Regarding the lease I posted how much we paid for property costs, I don’t know what else we pay for but that’s a number. Peppercorn can just mean they’re paying under the value, doesn’t mean we are paying nothing. Again, give me a number.

Support isn't just limited to membership, Broncos still have the most followed social medias and the most average attendance as well as most eyeballs of TV games.

With the much higher costs to watch the broncos we also make alot more off fans then others as well.

Either way this club needs a hostile takeover or something from a rich fan.

Given how profitable it is, the club would probably cost over a $100 million to take it from Rupert.

Unread

Active Now

• Locky24
  • Swordfish
  • Mustafur
  • bb_gun
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.