NEWS How Seibold has reformed Broncos

His technical coaching ability has really yet to be demonstrated but I think he’s doing an amazing job with our roster. His willingness and ability to shed unneeded or undeserving players and promote good young players (credit to Wayne for securing them) has been really impressive. Like you mentioned he still should come finish this year by saying goodbye to Kahu, Boyd, and McCullough, and depending on form possibly even Bird. At that point you can say that he holds total responsibility for our roster. We should enter 2021 with a big marquee signing and who that is will be Seibold’s legacy.

If you keep our current roster and add a (in no particular order) Ponga,Tedesco, RTS, Keary,DCE, or Cook all of a sudden we look unstoppable.
Completely agree, but you've also forgotten Milford. How he manages and attempts to ge the best out of Milford in 2020 and what he decides to do with him following that will be a huge part of his legacy at the Broncos.

Milford is the key. We can’t win a premiership without him in 2015/6 form aka million dollar form.

If he can’t bring that , drop 300K off his next contract or let him go

If you keep our current roster and add a (in no particular order) Ponga,Tedesco, RTS, Keary,DCE, or Cook all of a sudden we look unstoppable.

I think we really dont need to be chasing one of these, look at the current talent pool. Develop within, cheaper and we save around 1.0M in Boyd and Mcc alone in 21. I would guess our future contracts are rising up for a good chunk of players, so that will probably be spread into 1.0m and the back-line or further depths.

I think we really dont need to be chasing one of these, look at the current talent pool. Develop within, cheaper and we save around 1.0M in Boyd and Mcc alone in 21. I would guess our future contracts are rising up for a good chunk of players, so that will probably be spread into 1.0m and the back-line or further depths.

While I basically agree, I do think we need a marque fullback. Ponga RTS Tedesco would all bring a lot to our team in their own ways. If we do sign one of those we can afford to shed Bird and possibly Milford and promote from within to replace them.

Geez, when you look at that list, you could argue he's been the most ruthless Broncos Coach we've ever had.
I don't know about that. Of the 18 players listed, 6 left the club before Siebold arrived (McGuire, Thaiday, Opacic, Pearson, Sims, Tagataese). From the remaining 12, Gillett retired due to injury, Taueli was jailed for assault, Fai couldn't walk past a buffet and isn't contracted anywhere, Savelio went back to the u.k. and most of the rest are just no-name zero-gamers. The only guys who were squad regulars who got moved on were Kodi, Jimmy, Su'a and Shibasaki. Su'a wasn't going to get any games under Siebold for whatever reason, Roberts apparently didn't really leave us much choice either. And jeez you'd hope Shiba wasn't going to be an ongoing part of our top 17 with Bird back and the love bug charging through the field.

All in all they're fairly good decisions but a third were made before he arrived and just about all the rest were no-brainers. Even of those guys a bunch weren't cut, their contracts expired and weren't renewed.

I don't know about that. Of the 18 players listed, 6 left the club before Siebold arrived (McGuire, Thaiday, Opacic, Pearson, Sims, Tagataese). From the remaining 12, Gillett retired due to injury, Taueli was jailed for assault, Fai couldn't walk past a buffet and isn't contracted anywhere, Savelio went back to the u.k. and most of the rest are just no-name zero-gamers. The only guys who were squad regulars who got moved on were Kodi, Jimmy, Su'a and Shibasaki. Su'a wasn't going to get any games under Siebold for whatever reason, Roberts apparently didn't really leave us much choice either. And jeez you'd hope Shiba wasn't going to be an ongoing part of our top 17 with Bird back and the love bug charging through the field.

All in all they're fairly good decisions but a third were made before he arrived and just about all the rest were no-brainers. Even of those guys a bunch weren't cut, their contracts expired and weren't renewed.
I personally think that's selling him a bit short, but I would agree that not all of those names were cut by him personally. It's a monumental roster clean out whichever way you slice it though.

I think the important changes by and large were made by Seibold though: Kodi, Roberts, Su'a (who I rated, but he was clearly going to struggle to get any game time) Shibasaki, Kahu (who obviously came back, but credit where it's due for doing everything possible to move him on) and I think the other two massive ones are not necessarily moved on, but he's absolutely bitten the bullet and demoted or made tough calls on with - Macca and Boyd. In fact the evidence suggests he'd have probably moved those two guys on too if it was realistically possible to get someone else to take them, but that's extraordinarily unlikely at this point in their careers.

While I basically agree, I do think we need a marque fullback. Ponga RTS Tedesco would all bring a lot to our team in their own ways. If we do sign one of those we can afford to shed Bird and possibly Milford and promote from within to replace them.
I'd like us to look at Ponga once Macca, Boyd and Bird are off the books. But if we are paying top dollar which I suspect Ponga will seek then it is probably unrealistic.

I'd like us to look at Ponga once Macca, Boyd and Bird are off the books. But if we are paying top dollar which I suspect Ponga will seek then it is probably unrealistic.
It's not unrealistic. It's ambitious, sure, but it's definitely not unrealistic.

We have a lot to offer Ponga both on and off field outside of his NRL contract, and that may well impact our chances too, but realistically, if it comes down to pure dollars, there is no reason why with more guys moving on after this season that we can't be competitive in that sense too.

It's not unrealistic. It's ambitious, sure, but it's definitely not unrealistic.

We have a lot to offer Ponga both on and off field outside of his NRL contract, and that may well impact our chances too, but realistically, if it comes down to pure dollars, there is no reason why with more guys moving on after this season that we can't be competitive in that sense too.
I agree with all you said but my concern is that he appears to be a mercenary when it comes to his contract,which is his right. I just don't want to get him at the expense of the overall side. We wil have to upgrade Haas and Fifita and Staggs at some stage.Potentially others. Also I have no idea if we have already allocated the Boyd, Macca and Bird money in future caps after they have left.

I don't want players who just care about getting the biggest contract possible.
I want players that want to play for the Broncos, that want to build something, and are happy being being paid well - but not worrying about being paid the 'most'.

Last edited:
I agree with all you said but my concern is that he appears to be a mercenary when it comes to his contract,which is his right. I just don't want to get him at the expense of the overall side. We wil have to upgrade Haas and Fifita and Staggs at some stage.Potentially others. Also I have no idea if we have already allocated the Boyd, Macca and Bird money in future caps after they have left.
I'm curious where the 'Ponga as a mercenary' innuendo comes from?

He was behind Lachlan Coote at the Cowboys, and it was made pretty plain to him at the time that he was going to struggle to dislodge Coote from that position.

It can be easy to look at a guy like Ponga and presume it was arrogant of him to think he deserved more money and more opportunity than he was offered at the Cowboys, but history has shown that Ponga was right and Paul Green was wrong and the Knights are now the beneficiary of that.

If that makes Ponga a mercenary, then just about anyone in the game can rightly be called a mercenary now too.

He
I'm curious where the 'Ponga as a mercenary' innuendo comes from?

He was behind Lachlan Coote at the Cowboys, and it was made pretty plain to him at the time that he was going to struggle to dislodge Coote from that position.

It can be easy to look at a guy like Ponga and presume it was arrogant of him to think he deserved more money and more opportunity than he was offered at the Cowboys, but history has shown that Ponga was right and Paul Green was wrong and the Knights are now the beneficiary of that.

If that makes Ponga a mercenary, then just about anyone in the game can rightly be called a mercenary now too.
He started off with us though didn't he? And left to the Cows? Presumably for more money.

He

He started off with us though didn't he? And left to the Cows? Presumably for more money.
Well realistically he came from Rugby, but he had a scholarship with us and then the Cowboys offered him a full time contract.

You can consider it a 'mercenary' move to accept a full time job and the financial security that comes with that, when you currently have basically the real world equivalent of a work experience arrangement at your current workplace, but I think personally that would be pretty reasonable decision by most people's standards.

Last edited:
Well realistically he came from Rugby, but he had a scholarship with us and the Cowboys offered him a full time contract.

You can consider it a 'mercenary' move to accept a full time job when you currently have basically the real world equivalent of a work experience arrangement, but I think personally that would be pretty reasonable decision by most people's standards.
Word at the time of leaving the Cows was his old boy was controlling negotiations and was a greedy bastard. Maybe he is his own man now, but the apple hardly ever falls far from the tree.

Word at the time of leaving the Cows was his old boy was controlling negotiations and was a greedy bastard. Maybe he is his own man now, but the apple hardly ever falls far from the tree.
If you read any of the articles where his father is quoted, he has a very different version of events about why they chose to go to Newcastle. Some of it may be true, some of it may not, but if I was the Cowboys CEO I'd hardly be wanting to go on the public record and admit to their fans that there was anything more they could have done to retain him, so I'm not sure you can really trust their version of events entirely either.

There was also a bunch of talk partway through the year of Kalyn wanting to renogotiate his contract with the Knights and aiming for $2M a year. In and of itself it could be written off as the usual journo garbage but leaving here for Townsville then going to the Knights already paints a small part of the picture. I guess we'll see in the long run, if he wants to be here he can come for good but not crazy money, if he doesn't or money is more important he can chase the bucks wherever. While he's a good player i wouldn't want to gut the team to pay him.

There was also a bunch of talk partway through the year of Kalyn wanting to renogotiate his contract with the Knights and aiming for $2M a year. In and of itself it could be written off as the usual journo garbage but leaving here for Townsville then going to the Knights already paints a small part of the picture. I guess we'll see in the long run, if he wants to be here he can come for good but not crazy money, if he doesn't or money is more important he can chase the bucks wherever. While he's a good player i wouldn't want to gut the team to pay him.
You guys do realise that when you take utter speculation like this, with no real first hand sources or quotes that anyone will put their name to, and then use it to form a firm opinion of someone or something, you really are letting the journos win and only further encouraging them to keep it up by letting them get away with it.

When Kalyn Ponga comes out and says he wants to renegotiate his deal and wants 2 million bucks a season, I'm happy to reassess my opinion of him. When it's just Buzz Rothfield, or The Mole or anyone like that speculating it, the only thing worth worrying about is the wasted real estate on the internet.

Last edited:
You guys do realise that when you take utter speculation like this, with no real first hand sources or quotes that anyone will put their name to, and then use it to form a firm opinion of someone or something, you really are letting the journos win and only further encouraging them to keep it up by letting them get away with it.

When Kalyn Ponga comes out and says he wants to renegotiate his deal and wants 2 million bucks a season, I'm happy to reassess my opinion of him. When it's just Buzz Rothfield, or The Mole or anyone like that speculating it, the only thing worth worrying about is the wasted real estate on the internet.
Sure, I made reference to it possibly being written off as the usual bs the "journalists" spin. But at the same time if he had a burning desire to be a Bronco he could have stayed here instead of buggering off to Townsville. At the end of the day I'm happy to wait and see what he actually does, but the guy's actions so far don't give a lot of confidence that he'd come here for anything other than top dollar. We'll see in the long run.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Fozz
  • cento
  • Galah
  • Financeguy
  • Aldo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Organix
  • Harry Sack
  • Nerd
  • Battler
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Browny
  • Brocko
  • Mr Fourex
  • Tim K
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • Rambstien
  • winslow_wong
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.