NEWS How Seibold has reformed Broncos

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Travis Meyn speaks to Anthony Seibold in today's Sunday Mail:

In one year, Seibold has lost two thirds of the players he inherited:

Vale: Matt Gillett, Josh McGuire, Sam Thaiday, Todd Murphy, Kodi Nikorima, Tom Opacic, Moses Pangai, Jonus Pearson, James Roberts, Andre Savelio, Gehamat Shibasaki, Korbin Sims, Jayden Su’A, Sam Tagataese, Myles Taueli, Troy Dargan, George Fai, Salesi Funaki.

Says Seibold:

“There was no excuses last season, I certainly didn’t make any excuses. There were some challenges. I took full responsibility for that last game. Failure is a great stepping stone to success. I don’t think any organisation or individual has had success without some humps along the way. It’s been challenging at different times but I love it. I feel comfortable that I know the players a lot better. We’ve made a number of changes. There are 10 or 11 players who were in the squad when I arrived last December who are no longer here. I get out of bed every day ready to do my best for the team and club.”

“We’ve tried to establish a pathway for our emerging players, you saw how many guys made their NRL debuts last year. There were eight players who made their debuts last year and seven of those came through our EPD (elite player development). Our pathways seem to be working. Many of our younger players have re-signed here because we’re trying to create something. It doesn’t happen overnight, it takes a lot of hard work. We’re on a bit of a journey.”

The biggest decision of his tenure was flicking Darius Boyd from captaincy, and handing it over to Kiwi veteran, Alex Glenn. Along with creating a new leadership group of Matt Lodge, Tevita Pangai Jr, Brodie Croft, Pat Carrigan and Payne Haas to complement Darius Boyd and Alex Glenn.

CEO Paul White is confident they will be better prepared this season:

“Anthony is a very well-planned coach and he didn’t have the benefit of planning last pre-season. He’s had that this year. Seibs has had his hand on the full squad and we’ve made good use of our pre-season. We’re pleased with where we are now. A lot of hard work has gone in. I’m really looking forward to the season ahead because it was a bit disjointed last season and we haven’t had that this time. Some of the young guys coming through probably over-achieved last year. They’ve got another pre-season under their belts and the benefit of those games they played last year and tough lessons they learnt.”

McHunt

Last edited:
Like this post if you read it in Seibold's voice
Morgan freeman

Travis Meyn speaks to Anthony Seibold in today's Sunday Mail:

In one year, Seibold has lost two thirds of the players he inherited:

Vale: Matt Gillett, Josh McGuire, Sam Thaiday, Todd Murphy, Kodi Nikorima, Tom Opacic, Moses Pangai, Jonus Pearson, James Roberts, Andre Savelio, Gehamat Shibasaki, Korbin Sims, Jayden Su’A, Sam Tagataese, Myles Taueli, Troy Dargan, George Fai, Salesi Funaki.
Geez, when you look at that list, you could argue he's been the most ruthless Broncos Coach we've ever had.

At this stage, retirements aside, you'd have to say that letting every one of those guys go appears to be the right call at this stage. He certainly deserves some credit for that.

Geez, when you look at that list, you could argue he's been the most ruthless Broncos Coach we've ever had.

At this stage, retirements aside, you'd have to say that letting every one of those guys go appears to be the right call at this stage. He certainly deserves some credit for that.

Yeah there isn’t a single name there that I’d want to keep.No disrespect to Gillo.

Yeah there isn’t a single name there that I’d want to keep.No disrespect to Gillo.
Gillett is the obvious anomaly given he was a retirement but realistically he hadn't been at his best for a very long time.

As we move in to 2020 he has Boyd and McCullough who are both probably surplus to our requirements, but given there is virtually no chance of any other club taking them off our hands, we have no choice but to honour those agreements. He also has Kahu but he can hardly be held responsible for that outcome and it's not like they didn't try everything possible to get him off the books too.

All in all, he moved on basically every player he could/should have, and we have just a handful left that are beyond his control so we're making the best of it. When you throw in the young guys he's bought on to replace them alongside the recruitment of Croft, it's pretty clear he's been willing to make big calls to get our squad to where it really needs to be and he should be commended for that.

Last edited:
Gillett is the obvious anomaly given he was a retirement but realistically he hadn't been at his best for a very long time.

As we move in to 2020 he has Boyd and McCullough who are both probably surplus to our requirements, but given there is virtually no chance of any other club taking them off our hands, we have no choice but to honour those agreements. He also has Kahu but he can hardly be held responsible for that outcome and it's not like they didn't try everything possible to get him off the books too.

All in all, he moved on basically every player he could/should have, and we have just a handful left that are beyond his control so we're making the best of it. When you throw in the young guys he's bought on to replace them alongside the recruitment of Croft, it's pretty clear he's been willing to make big calls to get our squad to where it really needs to be and he should be commended for that.

His technical coaching ability has really yet to be demonstrated but I think he’s doing an amazing job with our roster. His willingness and ability to shed unneeded or undeserving players and promote good young players (credit to Wayne for securing them) has been really impressive. Like you mentioned he still should come finish this year by saying goodbye to Kahu, Boyd, and McCullough, and depending on form possibly even Bird. At that point you can say that he holds total responsibility for our roster. We should enter 2021 with a big marquee signing and who that is will be Seibold’s legacy.

If you keep our current roster and add a (in no particular order) Ponga,Tedesco, RTS, Keary,DCE, or Cook all of a sudden we look unstoppable.

Unread

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • johnny plath
  • The Strapper
  • Allo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Browny
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fozz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Volvo Driver
  • lynx000
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.