How should the halves play?

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I think the big reason why our halves both had a worse season than 2015 was the style of halves play that they employed for the majority of the time.

In 2015 Milford and Hunt were covering both sides at different time throughout the game, putting each other through gaps and creating for other, but in 2016 they were stationed on one side each and didn't rove to the other side (other than the first game we played against the Panthers).

I think if Milford and Hunt followed each other around and did not stay fixed to one side of the field, they could replicate the type of form they had in 2015.

Also Hunt just needs to run the ball way more than he did this year. He is just so dangerous when he runs and this will in turn create more space for others including Roberts and Gillett.

I think hunt should stick to the right hand side and the middle and get Milford roaming. Milford needs to get his hands on the ball as much as he can.

I like the idea of then rotating as they set up a huge amount of tries for each other in 2015. I think Milford is more potent down the left edge and am really hoping we see Roberts shift sides so we can take advantage of this. More running of the ball from Hunt is imperative, and a few more short balls to Gillo close to the line would be nice.

Just let them do what they want, along with Boyd. On paper our halves and the speed in our outside backs is our strength. Gone are the days of Maranta, Reed, Vidot's lack of speed. We have more speed than oxford street with the addition of Mead Lets use that and our mobile pack that can offload to our advantage. Wouldn't mind Macca kicking a little more too.

Last edited:
I believe the whole style of play changed in 2016 and not just at the broncos. It appeared that teams were taking note of the dogs play and started trying to use a middle forward as a pseudo halfback... Blair, McGuire and parker for us and can think of debelin for drags. I don't remember the broncs doing this in 2015 as much as 2016.

If so 2016 would represent a complete change in offense. It also took the ball out of the halves hands and too many times this year parker and co. would be first receiver after a quick play the ball. The key to league nowadays is exploiting the "good ball" opportunities and we have two of the best exponents in the game to do this. For mine the bulldogs style doesn't suit us and we shouldn't have gone down that path; however Bennett may have thought it would work having 2 5/8's.

I believe macca should be controlling the middle and let it fly to the halves when it is on or if they call for it

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • Skyblues87
  • dirtyharry
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fatboy
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Bish
  • Sproj
  • Dazza 92
  • broncsgoat
  • Aldo
  • Morkel
  • Gaz
  • Xzei
  • lynx000
  • BruiserMk1
  • Tmac
  • Big Del
  • Culhwch
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.