NEWS How the Broncos missed out on Hynes

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Travis Meyn, Peter Badel and Brent Read

The Broncos have apparently "hit back" at suggestions Hynes was low balled.

DD and Walters gave Hynes a tour of facilities last year, and offered him 1 million over 3 years to play 5/8 or fullback. The Sharks offered him 1.5m (which is down from the 1.8m of other articles).

Hynes denies this however no quotes so probably gibberish.

DD: “On a personal level I’m really happy for Nicho, he has worked really hard on his game and life and is getting what he deserves,”

“He is a great young man and player and is bucking the trend of players who have left Melbourne (and struggled). He has taken his game to an even greater height. I’m really proud of how he has gone about it. “We understood family is really important to him and where he wanted to base himself. We couldn’t compete with that.

“We put forward to his agent an offer that was very close to what he was asking for. We didn’t low-ball him from that point of view. “We didn’t get to the negotiating table because he wanted to be closer to his family on the Central Coast.”

Walters: “We had a chat with Nicho, he was available and a few clubs were chasing him. I think there were five or six clubs who were chasing his signature,”

“I was looking at him as a fullback or a six to potentially play with ‘Reyno’ if they both came, but once it didn’t happen, we moved on and we were fortunate enough to secure ‘Reyno’.

“We have no hard feelings towards his decision and we respect that. I wish him all the best, but hopefully he doesn’t do too well this week. “We’re wary of Hynes. He is a quality player, but we’re very happy with where Adam is as well, so it should be a cracking contest between the halves. “I’m confident Adam can win the battle of the halves.”

Hynes' manager, Andrew Purcell takes a subtle dig that we low balled

Andrew Purcell: “Brisbane were part of the negotiations and Nicho gave serious thought to joining the Broncos,” he said.

“They are a huge club and would be attractive to any player. Ultimately, Cronulla ended up getting their man through Nicho’s conversations with Fitzgibbon and offering a package that was more in line with the role he was going to play at the Sharks.

“Fitzgibbon was confident in his ability to play the type of role after holding several meetings with him throughout the negotiation process.”

So we offered him less than we pay Flegler?

Excellent recruitment and retention policies right there… 🙄

depends which report you believe about the money Flegler is on

we offered him what he was asking for ... but when he made it clear to the club he wanted to be closer to his family in NSW, we didn't continue negotiations

I doubt anyone would have predicted Hynes would fire that quickly in an entirely different position so fair play to the Sharks. Now, we have a situation where a player is performing better than contract - will there be articles about how he needs to be paid what he's worth ... because obviously when it works out in a Clubs' favour they couldnt possibly reap those benefits.

Outplayed again. swap Haas for a Hynes.. or any quality spine player and won’t we just be a better team? Pay up for spine players and do what you can with your pigs.

really? outplayed? ....

we stopped negotiations because Hynes wanted to be nearer his family.

we did however outplay the Sharks in the battle for AReys signature, which was a far more important one to get

I doubt anyone would have predicted Hynes would fire that quickly in an entirely different position so fair play to the Sharks. Now, we have a situation where a player is performing better than contract - will there be articles about how he needs to be paid what he's worth ... because obviously when it works out in a Clubs' favour they couldnt possibly reap those benefits.

not since he is playing for a NSW team (who also happens to be Rothfields team)

So we offered him less than we pay Flegler?

Excellent recruitment and retention policies right there… 🙄
I would say looking at it in context, what Te Mare Martin is offering us currently is exactly what Hynes used to offer the Storm. A guy who can come in and play at 1, 6 or off the bench. And he would be handy to re sign as well.

We did check into the availability of Hynes which was the right thing for us thing to do. But he wanted to be closer to his family according to all news reports at the time.

Im guessing it's probably just been a slow news day down in Sydney today and they forgot that out of boredom.

We never stood a chance. Its like when the Dolphins tried to get Paulo, he was never leaving Sydney and everyone knew it. Same kind of thing with Hynes. He wanted to be around the Cronulla area.

Family or no family, **** choosing to live in Shitney/the Shire compared to Brissie

The real miss out on hynes was when he came off contract in 2019. Boyd was on his way out, we had no stand out replacement and hynes was showing what he could do but there was limited interest in him.

A decent scout would have identified this then and picked him up for peanuts.

The real miss out on hynes was when he came off contract in 2019. Boyd was on his way out, we had no stand out replacement and hynes was showing what he could do but there was limited interest in him.

A decent scout would have identified this then and picked him up for peanuts.
And we would have broken him.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Sproj
  • Footy Fanatic
  • RolledOates
  • marw
  • lynx000
  • whykickamoocow
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • Financeguy
  • Allo
  • HarryAllan7
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Fatboy
  • Strop
  • LittleDavey
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.