Hunt: I'll prove I'm worth the money

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BEN Hunt has declared he wants to reclaim his beloved halfback spot at the Dragons and has assured ruthless Red V fans that he will live up to the club’s massive $6 million investment.

Hunt will get a snapshot of his future when the Broncos utility faces the St George Illawarra club that was crucified for handing him a five-year, $1.2 million per season deal in January.

Even Dragons powerbrokers were entitled to question the wisdom of the richest offer in their history when Hunt was sensationally axed to reserve grade by Broncos coach Wayne Bennett two months ago.

But Hunt has fought his way back to play a critical role in a Broncos side relying on his utility value at hooker following the season-ending loss of first-choice rake Andrew McCullough.

In a cruel twist of fate, Hunt can destroy his future club’s finals hopes at Suncorp Stadium but the Maroons Origin ace ultimately has his heart set on wearing the Dragons No. 7 jumper next season.

“Halfback is still my favourite position,” said Hunt, who will play on Friday night after being cleared of a broken hand.

“Long term I see myself as a halfback, I’ve played most of my footy there and it’s the position I want to play at the Dragons.

“I’ve never thought of myself playing in the No.9. If I get put there in the future, I’m going to be more than happy. Whatever the team needs me to do is OK and I’m enjoying it at the moment, but I like playing halfback.

“I noticed a few weeks ago that we were going to be playing them (the Dragons) soon.

“It’s just another game for me, I’m still playing for the Broncos and I’m going out there to get a win for us.”

Hunt accepts there are critics who believe the Dragons have paid a ridiculously inflated amount for his signature but the former Australian utility is determined to be a matchwinning force.

Hard-marking Dragons fans are among the most fickle in the code and Hunt concedes he needs to go to another level as a playmaker in the Red V.

“The Dragons have a great supporter base and their fans are tough like the Broncos, but I’m looking forward to getting down there,” he said.

“I’ve come to terms with it (leaving Brisbane) a while ago.

“It’s probably not until the pointy end of the year, when I play my last game for the Broncos, that I will really have to prepare myself for leaving the club.

“I’ve had some highs and lows at this club but I’ve just stuck at it.

“I know next year I need to go to another level to where I am now. But I think I can do it and I need to have a good pre-season at the Dragons.”

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett is adamant Hunt will not be an overpaid flop at the Dragons.

“In Ben’s case he has nothing to prove to the Dragons,” Bennett said.

“He is going there for the next five or six years and the deal is done. So he doesn’t need to show them what he can do, they know what he can do, that’s why they bought him.

“I don’t think you get excited about the club you are joining, I don’t think that’s an issue, but when you have played somewhere, you want to prove a point.

“Ben has been a tremendous player at this club and he will have to make the adjustments to another team next year.

“He has the ability to do it. He will do a good job.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/d29788b8f961b4639adb9ced893ec905

More talk. Excellent.

You usually get all the info you need in the first 2 or 3 sentences of RL articles. I rarely read past them unless it's something particularly interesting to me.

What better way to prove it than to score and set up tries against them tomorrow night. Get it done hunt.

Last edited:
That's what Ben Hunt needs is more pressure and unfulfillable expectations.

Needs to accept he isn't JT and is no 1.2 million dollar halfback, thank his good luck for the windfall and just try to relax and enjoy his football. Best hope for actually playing well anyway.

Failing that he can choose to go further into the world of delusion...

Unread

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Justwin
  • Jedhead
  • Broncs1459
  • Brotherdu
  • Galah
  • Santa
  • Bucking Beads
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Tim K
  • maddo
  • mitch222
  • Behold
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.