NEWS Hurting Broncos facing Maroon blackout

Would have been good if Milf had kicked on consistently given open halves and utility spots. Aside from McGuire no one deserved selection this year (Gillo was playing hurt so not his fault). Oates if his hands are better would be very valuable having said that.

Salary cap has been around for years now so can’t just say it is that. We also have a lot of Kiwi and Islander guys. And a couple of blues out of form or cause they play for Broncs out of favour. Injuries and players winding down careers also factor. So is random chance.

What says most is our highest paid players just aren’t meeting the standard for one reason or another which for me is not just injuries but when you don’t have superstars or great leadership become more reliant on the right structures to let them shine. Hopefully it’s coming but hard ride for a while yet I imagine. I think if Milf plays outside a green, Widdop or has cam smith as hooker and/or under a Cleary or Bellamy who would know better to make him primary organising member of spine then he earns the bench spot this year. Would be devastating late in an origin against tired big NSW forwards.

These opinions, I believe are very short-sighted. There is a good reason every coach talks up their own players for selection in rep teams.

Surely for game 1 at least Oates will be selected ahead of Holmes.
I think it's understandable for fans to be short sighted this year with the full strength team struggling to string two wins together. I've always been a big believer that origin makes a good player better but this year I'm happy to keep them in the team so we can have a better shot at the premiership

I think it's understandable for fans to be short sighted this year with the full strength team struggling to string two wins together. I've always been a big believer that origin makes a good player better but this year I'm happy to keep them in the team so we can have a better shot at the premiership

But without players who are top tier and in form to warrant selection hoping and praying can snap into miracle form late in the season. 11 is too many but no players is a real concern for the quality and health of the roster in short term and long term.

But without players who are top tier and in form to warrant selection hoping and praying can snap into miracle form late in the season. 11 is too many but no players is a real concern for the quality and health of the roster in short term and long term.
It is a concern that there might be no one pick from the broncos but not a surprise. It might be the kick up the ass some of them need

These opinions, I believe are very short-sighted. There is a good reason every coach talks up their own players for selection in rep teams.

Surely for game 1 at least Oates will be selected ahead of Holmes.

Yes and no tbh. Gillette is injured, McGuire is injured....both of which would be certainties. A case can be made for Oates to play this year. Roberts should be playing for NSW, Bird is out of form but is an incumbent. Plus a number of younger players that if they reach their potential, will be rep players.Plus a number of rep players at the end of their rep careers.

I think a lot of us as Broncos supporters are just happy to not have to worry, for once, about losing players to Origin......and the potential injuries that brings.

We have origin players, it’s just that they are injured. Gillett and McGuire walk into the Queensland team fully fit... Milf was picked as a starting half last year ahead of Munster and may well again this year too despite what the ‘eggspurts’ are saying. Roberts would be in the NSW team if I were picking it and a good long look at Oates would be in order too given his form.

My Qld origin team (and extended squad):

1. B. Slater.
2. D. Boyd.
3. G. Inglis.
4. W. Chambers.
5. C. Oates.

6. A. Milford.
7. B. Hunt.

8. M. Scott.
9. C. Smith.
10. J. Wallace.
11. F. Kaufusi.
12. G. Cooper.
13. J. Arrow / J. McGuire (if fit).

14. M. Morgan.
15. D. Napa.
16. C. Hess.
17. J. Arrow / J. Papalli (depending on J. Mcguire’s fitness).

18. C. Munster.
19. D. Gagai.
20. J. Bukuya.

We have origin players, it’s just that they are injured. Gillett and McGuire walk into the Queensland team fully fit... Milf was picked as a starting half last year ahead of Munster and may well again this year too despite what the ‘eggspurts’ are saying. Roberts would be in the NSW team if I were picking it and a good long look at Oates would be in order too given his form.

My Qld origin team (and extended squad):

1. B. Slater.
2. D. Boyd.
3. G. Inglis.
4. W. Chambers.
5. C. Oates.

6. A. Milford.
7. B. Hunt.

8. M. Scott.
9. C. Smith.
10. J. Wallace.
11. F. Kaufusi.
12. G. Cooper.
13. J. Arrow / J. McGuire (if fit).

14. M. Morgan.
15. D. Napa.
16. C. Hess.
17. J. Arrow / J. Papalli (depending on J. Mcguire’s fitness).

18. C. Munster.
19. D. Gagai.
20. J. Bukuya.

Eggspurts... you’ve got one of the worst halves pairing in the Nrl last year in Origin.

Hunt and Milf couldn’t organise a chook raffle. Have 2 years of form at NRL level to confirm that. Would be found out in 5 mins at origin level even with Smith guiding them.

No way Munster misses out. Boyd if fully fit (which he isn’t) doesn’t deserve displace Gagai who was phenomenal. Oates happy about but thinking he is closer to 18th man at moment unless Homes doesn’t perform in game 1. Like the forward pack. Hess if desperate due to injury but hasn’t done enough and isnt yet a loyalty pick for me.

This is not good news for us. It shows that our player development and retention is still on the slide. Plus origin makes a player better, so in turn makes the Broncos better.

We do have a lot of Kiwi's on the books now, but I couldn't see any of them making the QLD anyway. TPJ would be the only forward in line for selection but he has chosen Tonga so we may well have no Origin players for the first time.

Eggspurts... you’ve got one of the worst halves pairing in the Nrl last year in Origin.

Hunt and Milf couldn’t organise a chook raffle. Have 2 years of form at NRL level to confirm that. Would be found out in 5 mins at origin level even with Smith guiding them.

No way Munster misses out. Boyd if fully fit (which he isn’t) doesn’t deserve displace Gagai who was phenomenal. Oates happy about but thinking he is closer to 18th man at moment unless Homes doesn’t perform in game 1. Like the forward pack. Hess if desperate due to injury but hasn’t done enough and isnt yet a loyalty pick for me.

You can’t drop Boyd on form when Gagai is playing like a reserve grader for Souths.

If the Broncos don't supply a single Origin player, it's because of injury and not form/quality

Barring injury, without doubt McGuire and Gillett get picked, and I get that's only 2 which is low for the Broncos, but the agenda driven media and the 'sky is falling' pundits claiming it's zero just isn't true

On top of that, you've got selections that get made that defy logic or just comes down to not being able to select everybody

If Oates doesn't get picked on the wing because they choose to go with Gagai and Holmes, does that make Oates not Origin standard? No of course not, it means they had 3 Origin standard wingers to choose from, and only 2 wings to fill :)

Roberts probably doesn't get picked for NSW, but that doesn't mean he isn't Origin standard either

So while injury and selection headaches could mean the Broncos don't supply anyone to Origin, it just as easily could be 4 or 5

So all in all, just another nothing story designed to be negative toward Bennett and his Boys

The wingers should absolutely be Boyd and Gagai.

Gagai is one of the first blokes picked. He is the sort of player who shows up in origin regardless of form and he is one of the main reasons we won the series last year. The other wing should probably be Boyd but I can see an argument for Oates. Form aside, his size, speed, and physicality would be a good match up for Trbojevic or Addo Carr (depending on who they pick). If they pick Ferguson then it is probably more important that we have Oates.

Boyd should be there given his experience but I would be really worried if he is up against the athleticism of Tom, the pace of Addo-Carr or the aerial threat of Ferguson. Holmes moving around positions so often this season has not helped his chances - doubt he is there for game 1.

Centres will be Chambers and GI. No doubt about it.

Edit: thought I would throw my team in just for discussion purposes
1 Slater
2 Gagai
3 Chambers
4 GI
5 Oates/Boyd

6 Munster
7 Hunt

8 Scott
9 Smith
10 Wallace
11 Hess
12 Kaufusi
13 Arrow/McGuire

14 Morgan
15 Napa
16 Papalii
17 McGuire/Arrow

But it ain’t last year... Kevvie knows both of the players back to front and Hunt is one of the form players in the comp this year, on top of which he was in the team in game 3 last year as well as the world cup and is playing better than that now. Plus out of all the possibilities in the halves, Milf and Hunt have worked together the most. Both Milf and Hunt were picked for Qld in Origin last year and I’m not sure either of them were ‘found out’.

Kevvie will definitely put Inglis and Boyd together I would suggest, he loves that combination and it is hard to argue against. Holmes has been awful this year and Gagai hasn’t set the world on fire either, though as you suggest he was excellent in Origin last year, so it’s a toss of the coin for me. Oates being able to fill in, in the back row and offering more utility was why I chose him. Kevvie I agree, may not feel the same.

Hess is an incumbent and we are down on stocks for forwards, particularly in the back row. Unless injured or suspended I would suggest there is very little chance of him missing out. A change of scenery may be just what he needs to find some form.

But it ain’t last year... Kevvie knows both of the players back to front and Hunt is one of the form players in the comp this year, on top of which he was in the team in game 3 last year as well as the world cup and is playing better than that now. Plus out of all the possibilities in the halves, Milf and Hunt have worked together the most. Both Milf and Hunt were picked for Qld in Origin last year and I’m not sure either of them were ‘found out’.

Kevvie will definitely put Inglis and Boyd together I would suggest, he loves that combination and it is hard to argue against. Holmes has been awful this year and Gagai hasn’t set the world on fire either, though as you suggest he was excellent in Origin last year, so it’s a toss of the coin for me. Oates being able to fill in, in the back row and offering more utility was why I chose him. Kevvie I agree, may not feel the same.

Hess is an incumbent and we are down on stocks for forwards, particularly in the back row. Unless injured or suspended I would suggest there is very little chance of him missing out. A change of scenery may be just what he needs to find some form.

You are all over the place.
So you’re happy to have Hess in the team because he’s the incumbent but then you want to leave out Munster and Gagai who both are the incumbents and both have killed it at this level?
I know Munster has only played one game but it was one of the best origin debuts.
Take your Broncos hat off for a sec!

Active Now

• ozzball
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Gaz
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  • phoenix
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • johnny plath
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • dasherhalo
  • Johnny92
  • Skyblues87
  • Footy Fanatic
  • davidp
  • bert_lifts
  • Broncones
  • Culhwch
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.