NEWS Hurting Broncos facing Maroon blackout

Not totally related to this thread, but I believe QLD could be in trouble this year.

Likely halves of Munster and Hunt - absolutely no guiding hand there at all.

Origin can be such a tight contest at times. Hell, we’ve barely scraped victory in tight games with Locky, Thurston, Cronk and Smith. Talk about some calm heads.

Neither Munster nor Hunt are organisers - so if we’re up against it we are in BIG strife.

Hope I’m wrong.

IMO, the back 5 can't be other than:

1- Slater
2- Oates
3- Inglis
4- Chambers
5- Gagai

In attack or defense, Boyd could certainly be there in Oates' stead, but with our weakened forward pack, we need our backs to help give us a good start to our sets and that's where Boyd drops off consideration for mine.

Munster killed it in his debut, and has been arguably the best 5/8th so far this year. He's definitely getting picked.

You are all over the place.
So you’re happy to have Hess in the team because he’s the incumbent but then you want to leave out Munster and Gagai who both are the incumbents and both have killed it at this level?
I know Munster has only played one game but it was one of the best origin debuts.
Take your Broncos hat off for a sec!

Yes, clearly that is what a Broncs fan on a Broncs forum should do... As I very openly stated Hess is an incumbent AND we are seriously short on quality forwards. That is not the situation in the halves and everyone is seemingly quick to forget Munster was only brought into the team due to Milford’s shoulder injury...

As for Gagai as I said it is a toss of the coin. He has played well at Origin but he has played less well in the NRL this year. Oates has been on fire and in my opinion didn’t deserve to be dropped from the team in the first place.

Yes, clearly that is what a Broncs fan on a Broncs forum should do... As I very openly stated Hess is an incumbent AND we are seriously short on quality forwards. That is not the situation in the halves and everyone is seemingly quick to forget Munster was only brought into the team due to Milford’s shoulder injury...

As for Gagai as I said it is a toss of the coin. He has played well at Origin but he has played less well in the NRL this year. Oates has been on fire and in my opinion didn’t deserve to be dropped from the team in the first place.

Munster killed it on his debut.
Milford played okay but it’s Munster spot to lose now.
It’s not even a toss of coin between Oates and Gagai.
You seriously think QLD going to drop our best players from the past 2 series?
Oates could score 20 tries in the next few weeks and Gagai will still get picked.

You can’t drop Boyd on form when Gagai is playing like a reserve grader for Souths.

So is Boyd! At least gagai has 2 working legs. And Gagai’s club form is intermittent at best while he shows up for origin regardless. Having said that happy for Oates if he does well next couple of weeks instead of Gagai.

But it ain’t last year... Kevvie knows both of the players back to front and Hunt is one of the form players in the comp this year, on top of which he was in the team in game 3 last year as well as the world cup and is playing better than that now. Plus out of all the possibilities in the halves, Milf and Hunt have worked together the most. Both Milf and Hunt were picked for Qld in Origin last year and I’m not sure either of them were ‘found out’.

Kevvie will definitely put Inglis and Boyd together I would suggest, he loves that combination and it is hard to argue against. Holmes has been awful this year and Gagai hasn’t set the world on fire either, though as you suggest he was excellent in Origin last year, so it’s a toss of the coin for me. Oates being able to fill in, in the back row and offering more utility was why I chose him. Kevvie I agree, may not feel the same.

Hess is an incumbent and we are down on stocks for forwards, particularly in the back row. Unless injured or suspended I would suggest there is very little chance of him missing out. A change of scenery may be just what he needs to find some form.

I see where you are coming from but Hunt was playing his best position of bench sub last year but barely had much opportunity. Milf was great but with an amazing half to free to him to play his natural game. Hunt and Milf are two running 5/8s with poor kicking games so not a case of either found out alone but the combination per se. Hunt looks so much better this year thanks to Widdop. He has been pretty good but isn’t a whole new man. Smith would help a lot but don’t see the upside.

As for Boyd trying to relive combos from over 2 years ago ignores everything since. Neither guy is 100% fit, both are arguably past their physical prime so combination sounds like a train wreck. Boyd has been at least as bad as Gagai and Holmes anyway, rather pick someone who is at least fit and also enough experience in backline already better to have succession planning given Inglis and Slater don’t have long left.

So is Boyd! At least gagai has 2 working legs. And Gagai’s club form is intermittent at best while he shows up for origin regardless. Having said that happy for Oates if he does well next couple of weeks instead of Gagai.

Did you see Boyd play against the Rabbits? Seemed like his legs were working okay for that match at least...

Whilst I think Boyd missing out is warranted, using gagai's ability to turn up for origin as a reason to pick him over Boyd is a bit much when Boyd has played 28 origin games, is the second highest try scorer in its history, and was player of the series 2 years ago. I'd hardly call him inconsistent at that level :-/

Just on broncos players missing out on origin, I'm cheering! For years we carried Queensland and you don't get much thanks for it, and then for years our players appeared to put it before the broncos (henjak and griffin eras definetly felt this way). Every year we get knocked out by the storm or the cowboys in the finals because our players are too afraid to hurt their Queensland teammates whilst they grub it up (more the storm) and laugh at us while we shake their hands at the end of the game. I love Queensland and love origin, but **** IT, I want a premiership too much now. I'd sacrifice the next 10 years of origin for a premiership

Did you see Boyd play against the Rabbits? Seemed like his legs were working okay for that match at least...

He beat a winger at half pace having a holiday and now he’s 100% fit? He looked better and has been improving each week but hardly looks 100% comfortable. Fitness wise he was jogging slowly enough a lot of the time to watch other players clean up his job at the back.

I appreciate your prefacing the statement for accuracy but that is one of the biggest issue broncs have. Only have to show up and play at average first grade level once every month or two for a lot of guys to be the next best thing or even just justify your spot. If need specifics see Sims, Thaiday since 16, Boyd of 17 and 18, Milf, Hunt of 16 and 17. At this rate Bird will join this illustrious group in a few rounds.

He beat a winger at half pace having a holiday and now he’s 100% fit? He looked better and has been improving each week but hardly looks 100% comfortable. Fitness wise he was jogging slowly enough a lot of the time to watch other players clean up his job at the back.

I appreciate your prefacing the statement for accuracy but that is one of the biggest issue broncs have. Only have to show up and play at average first grade level once every month or two for a lot of guys to be the next best thing or even just justify your spot. If need specifics see Sims, Thaiday since 16, Boyd of 17 and 18, Milf, Hunt of 16 and 17. At this rate Bird will join this illustrious group in a few rounds.

And his 50m break down the left side of the field?

Boyd was good last week (not great but a huge improvement on the last 18 months), I think we need to acknowledge that. I have been one of those calling for him to go to wing or centre but credit where it is due, he was good last week.

Milf is very unfairly copping it. He has made a LOT of improvement in his kicking game and has been really good all year, he is going to have a break out game at some point, it is really brewing.

Well it's more that we're facing an origin blackout with an Asterix attached. Not like at full strength no one would be selected. Bit of a media beat-up.

Boyd was good last week (not great but a huge improvement on the last 18 months), I think we need to acknowledge that. I have been one of those calling for him to go to wing or centre but credit where it is due, he was good last week.

Milf is very unfairly copping it. He has made a LOT of improvement in his kicking game and has been really good all year, he is going to have a break out game at some point, it is really brewing.
Maybe so re milf but I don't see him starting anytime soon for qld. He can be a super sub tho.

Active Now

• ozzball
  • Gaz
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  • phoenix
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • johnny plath
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • dasherhalo
  • Johnny92
  • Skyblues87
  • Footy Fanatic
  • davidp
  • bert_lifts
  • Broncones
  • Culhwch
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.