VOTE If Walters is the wrong man for the job?

Who should be our coach if Walters is gone

• Total voters
Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Follow up question for those who don't want to play along.

Who should Kevin Walters bring in as assistants to help him in 2022?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
He re-signed last year till 2023 but I wonder if Rohan Smith has any NRL aspirations? Since joining Norths in 2018 he's made them a finals contender and they've improved on every season. He's the type of coach that likes to develop players and a few players have picked up NRL deals under his tutelage (Taunoa-Brown and Petterson-Robati come to mind).

He'd be somebody I'd be looking at as assistant coach. His old man wasn't a bad and I think he may have that attention to detail the club is sorely missing.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
He re-signed last year till 2023 but I wonder if Rohan Smith has any NRL aspirations? Since joining Norths in 2018 he's made them a finals contender and they've improved on every season. He's the type of coach that likes to develop players and a few players have picked up NRL deals under his tutelage (Taunoa-Brown and Petterson-Robati come to mind).

He'd be somebody I'd be looking at as assistant coach. His old man wasn't a bad and I think he may have that attention to detail the club is sorely missing.

Great call, he just hasn't conquered the finals mountain yet. I keep predicting every finals they nail it this time but haven't done it yet.

Smith is excellent with the younger players. I remember in 2018 he debuted 22 players at Norths in ISC. He is such a thinker and explains things really well.

He's been great with Riki, Bullemor, Piakura and even Hetherington.

I think they’ll win the comp in next 2-3 years. Smith has done a great job.

Smith has done an excellent job with him and the Devils in general. I would not be surprised if Smith has a job at the Broncos soon.

S

Shane Tronc

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Great call, he just hasn't conquered the finals mountain yet. I keep predicting every finals they nail it this time but haven't done it yet.

Smith is excellent with the younger players. I remember in 2018 he debuted 22 players at Norths in ISC. He is such a thinker and explains things really well.

He's been great with Riki, Bullemor, Piakura and even Hetherington.
Would it be a good move replacing Kurt Richards with him or are we better served having him work with players in ISC?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I dont think Kevvie is the man, never have and probably never will but looking at that list it's not great. Bennett is an obvious choice and I believe he would do a good job here, but I just don't think it's the right move.

Flanagan and Toovey are probably the best proven coach options, Smith and Slater to me are the best options for taking a huge risk, but if I was picking one I'd go with Wane. He has been head coach of the biggest club with the most pressure in RL in England and been a success there and handled the pressure. Still a massive risk, and one we won't take, I just think a fresh set of eyes from somewhere else could do the trick.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Why is anyone voting for wane, the guy is a numptie, dropped Herbie from the English squad for no good reason at all

He's been a very good coach in superleage tbf. He must have seen something he didn't like at the time with Herbie.

B

broncoscope

NYC Player
Feb 14, 2014
I would still be interested in giving Adrian Lam a shot. Seems like he is going quite well in SL and is a Queensland er to boot.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Politis has a bigger sink and they lost Fitzgibbon who would have been a succession plan.
Thats the frustrating part, it could have actually been a viable option had Fitz stayed.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
All day, every day! 3m a year and that’s outside of declared income.
It would be worth every cent of cap penalty dollars they we would have to pay for the pro rata.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Would it be a good move replacing Kurt Richards with him or are we better served having him work with players in ISC?

That’s a good question. Richards is very good with younger players. I like Smith very much though.

Smith has been at the Warriors, Knights and Roosters and now done a stint as head coach. I just think he’d be perfect for a job at Brisbane.

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
The only other realistic option is Green, and I’m a big no for that.

N

Nightwatchman

NYC Player
Aug 16, 2016
I dont think Kevvie is the man, never have and probably never will but looking at that list it's not great. Bennett is an obvious choice and I believe he would do a good job here, but I just don't think it's the right move.

Flanagan and Toovey are probably the best proven coach options, Smith and Slater to me are the best options for taking a huge risk, but if I was picking one I'd go with Wane. He has been head coach of the biggest club with the most pressure in RL in England and been a success there and handled the pressure. Still a massive risk, and one we won't take, I just think a fresh set of eyes from somewhere else could do the trick.

Shaun Wane interviewed well for the Cowboys job. The candidates got whittled down to two and it was between Wane and Todd Payten. Wane may have even got the job if Payten hadn't gone a second half rally as interim coach with the Warriors which convinced Cowboys decision makers to give Payten the job.

N

Nightwatchman

NYC Player
Aug 16, 2016
The only other realistic option is Green, and I’m a big no for that.

Yeah, nah, and Paul Green has stinked it up big time in the last three years he was with the Cowboys. Green defenders suggest it was the Cowboys aging roster, and the fact the roster needed a refresh. Maybe, but I don't think he handled it well with some of the decisions that were taken when he was there.

And he won't have won many admirers after Queensland flame out this year in the state of origin. Apparently at the press conference he kept banging on about Ronaldo Mulitalo not being allowed to play instead of addressing QLD's inept performance.

Active Now

• Painin the Haas
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • mystico
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Wendall Taylor
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.