If you were broncos coach

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Alright, I think we all agree we suck pretty badly at the moment, so if you were teleported into Seibold, what would you do? What would your 17 be? I'm interested to see who individuals lineups would be, if they would put project players into the squad, would they bench/drop half the team, would they move people into other positions ie Milf to FB?

Try to keep it somewhat realistic instead of yeah i'd sign Smith from Melbourne etc.

So to kick it off.

1. Isaako (he's making mistakes but I think he'd be better at the back, and at the very least he'd put in more than Boyd)
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Roberts
5. Boyd (I loathe to have him in the side but if he's simply on the end of backline movements and defusing the highball he'd be adequate)
6. Milf
7. Dearden (probably premature after 1 Q Cup game but if he's the long term heir, why not throw him in the deep end and see how he goes? he handled Q Cup just fine)
8. Lodge
9. Tanah Boyd (Simply my opinion but he strikes me as someone that could handle it, he's got decent speed, has a good pass, good kick, has the body shape to handle the defensive load, why not? not like Mccullough is giving us anything)
10. Pangai Jr.
11. Gillet
12. Fifita
13. Bird (runs with purpose, provides a ballplaying option and can handle the defensive load)

14. Nikorima (Wouldn't be bad for 10-15min spurts around the ruck)
15. Flegler
16. Haas
17. Carrigan

18. Glenn (I like Glenn and he's trying but he's really not providing much at the moment, I can't fit him into the squad as much as I'd like to. I'm sure he'd get a run most games tho with injury + suspension)

Dropped to Q Cup - Su'a, he's really struggling atm and I don't see what throwing him back in each week is achieving, get him a run in the lower grades and let him build back up. I'm a big a fan of his but he's just not cutting the mustard atm.

McCullough. I just don't really see what value he provides anymore, he doesn't direct the ruck, he offers nothing in attack, he's a willing defender but that's it. If we want a tackle sponge we'd be better off using Fensom

Fire away. Try to keep it civil.

Last edited:
Alright, I think we all agree we suck pretty badly at the moment, so if you were teleported into Seibold, what would you do? What would your 17 be? I'm interested to see who individuals lineups would be, if they would put project players into the squad, would they bench/drop half the team, would they move people into other positions ie Milf to FB?

Try to keep it somewhat realistic instead of yeah i'd sign Smith from Melbourne etc.

So to kick it off.

1. Isaako (he's making mistakes but I think he'd be better at the back, and at the very least he'd put in more than Boyd)
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Roberts
5. Boyd (I loathe to have him in the side but if he's simply on the end of backline movements and defusing the highball he'd be adequate)
6. Milf
7. Dearden (probably premature after 1 Q Cup game but if he's the long term heir, why not throw him in the deep end and see how he goes? he handled Q Cup just fine)
8. Lodge
9. Tanah Boyd (Simply my opinion but he strikes me as someone that could handle it, he's got decent speed, has a good pass, good kick, has the body shape to handle the defensive load, why not? not like Mccullough is giving us anything)
10. Pangai Jr.
11. Gillet
12. Fifita
13. Bird (runs with purpose, provides a ballplaying option and can handle the defensive load)

15. Flegler
16. Haas
17. Carrigan

18. Glenn (I like Glenn and he's trying but he's really not providing much at the moment, I can't fit him into the squad as much as I'd like to. I'm sure he'd get a run most games tho with injury + suspension)

Dropped to Q Cup - Su'a, he's really struggling atm and I don't see what throwing him back in each week is achieving, get him a run in the lower grades and let him build back up. I'm a big a fan of his but he's just not cutting the mustard atm.

McCullough. I just don't really see what value he provides anymore, he doesn't direct the ruck, he offers nothing in attack, he's a willing defender but that's it. If we want a tackle sponge we'd be better off using Fensom

Fire away. Try to keep it civil.

Is this for 2020 and with the chance to make signings or starting next round?

1. Bird
2. Oates
3. Roberts
4. Boyd - gets his shit together or is replaced by Staggs.
5. Bring Pearson back from the Dragqueens. Failing that, Isaako fights it out with whoever else we have on our books.
6. Milford
7. O'Sullivan, I guess. Give him the rest of the year, replace him with Dearden in 2020 if he's not showing anything.
8. Lodge
9. The best hooker in reserve grade who might be lured away from his current team (the Storm have got a couple). Failing that, Macca with Staggs/Turpin/Nikorima spelling him for 25-30 minutes a game.
10. Pangai
11. Gillett
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Staggs/Nikorima/Turpin
15. Ofahengaue
16/17. Haas/Flegler/Glenn/Mago/Su'a

Something like that.

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Darius Boyd
3. Jack Bird
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. James Roberts
6. Anthony Milford
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Thomas Flegler
11. Corey Oates
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai
17. Joe Ofahengaue

2020 (assuming I am able to release players without trouble and able to sign players that are off contract after 2019)

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Gideon Mosby
3. Mahe Fonua
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. James Roberts
6. Sean O'Sullivan
7. Tanah Boyd
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Matt Parcell
10. Thomas Flegler
11. Rhyse Martin
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai
17. Joe Ofahengaue

Would have a lot of cap space to work with still

Last edited:

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Darius Boyd
3. Jack Bird
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. James Roberts
6. Anthony Milford
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Thomas Flegler
11. Corey Oates
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai
17. Joe Ofahengaue

2020 (assuming I am able to release players without trouble and able to sign players that are off contract after 2019)

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Gideon Mosby
3. Mahe Fonua
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. James Roberts
6. Sean O'Sullivan
7. Tanah Boyd
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Matt Parcell
10. Thomas Flegler
11. Rhyse Martin
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai
17. Joe Ofahengaue

Would have a lot of cap space to work with still
That team in 2020 is worse than the Bulldogs current side. WTF man.

That team in 2020 is worse than the Bulldogs current side. WTF man.

Shit, I forgot Oates.

It'd be fine.. Would win more games than it loses. That halves pairing is better than our current one.

Last edited:
1. Boyd/Isaako
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Roberts
5. Isaako/Boyd
6. Milf
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. Pangai Jr.
11. Gillet
12. Fifita

15. Flegler
16. Haas
17. Carrigan

In the immediate future the only changes I'd make are Isaako and Boyd swapping in attack and defence, Niko to the bench and one of the numerous 7's we have lurking in the lower grades into the starting side.

But I like your side as something to move towards. I like Staggs being there somewhere and I think Bird has what it takes to be a solid lock. I'd even be happy for the side to basically stay as it is atm and for staggs to come on and create some havoc at the end of the first half.

I'd definitely look into turning one of Paix or Boyd into a hooker, or even trying to sign Harry Grant.

Some of the sides listed here look alright. A bit too much Darius Boyd happening but. That's yuk.

My side for what it's worth.

1. Jack Bird
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs / Shibasaki
4. James Roberts
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge
9. Kodi Nikorima / Staggs
10. Tevita Pangai Jnr
11. Matt Gillet
12. David Fifita
13. Joe Offa / Carrigan

14. Sean Sullivan / Nikorima
15. Alex Glen
16. Tom Flegler
17. Pat Carrigan

18. Ostin86

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Jimmy
4. Bird
5. Perese
6. Milf
7. Deardon
8. Lodge
9. Staggs
10. TPJ
11. Gillett
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Nikorima
15. Glenn
16. Flegler
17. Offa

I don't want Macca and Boyd in the side anymore. Life is better when you like the players you're cheering for.

1. Isaako, 2. Vudogo, 3. Roberts, 4. Staggs, 5. Oates, 6. Bird, 7. Milford, 8. Lodge (c), 9. Nikorima, 10. TPJ, 11. Fifita, 12. Gillett (c), 13. Carrigan

14. Haas, 15. Ofahangue, 16. Flegler, 17. Glenn

Firstly, I’d be using all my smarts to investigate time travel so I could go back, uppercut myself and avoid taking on this current rabble. Failing that, for 2019:

1. Bird
2. Oates
3. Roberts
4. Boyd (I’ve been very critical of him for about 18 months, but the bloke can play centre and play it well)
5. Isaako (last year, I would have had no problem with this, but boy the bloke is in poor form right now. But who else is there?)
6. Milford (switch him and Bird in defence)
7. Deardon (love Nikorima, but he’s not a half and from all reports, this kid is the future - so give him a go)
8. Lodge
9. Staggs (may have no experience, but the bloke is an out and out footballer, he’ll be right)
10. Haas
11. Glenn (I think the poor bloke is stuffed in attack having to worry about protecting Milford - give him a good defender inside him and he’ll go a lot better)
12. Gillett
13. Ofahengaue

14. Nikorima
15. TPJ
16. Fifita
17. Flegler
18. Carrigan

I feel like I’m forgetting someone, but can’t think right now.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Justwin
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • LittleDavey
  • Xzei
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mystico
  • lynx000
  • Stix
  • heartly87
  • Hurrijo
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.