If you were coach...

Dee

Dee

QCup Player
Apr 30, 2010
Hey guys,

I know most of us consider ourselves coaches of our great club while we are watching the games haha, I know I do. So I thought I'd ask, what would you perfect and do if you were the Broncos coach?
What would you change? What would you implement?

What I want to know is - who coaches our attack? who coaches our structures and attacking plays? is it Griffin? Because at the moment, our attack can be so much better. We have no real structured set plays. Our decoy runners do not look believable. I watch the Manly, Melbourne and Souths decoy runners and they all look pretty believable, running with open arms looking like they are ready to catch the ball, leaving the defence in two minds asking them the question of are they going to catch the ball or be a decoy. It causes confusion in defence and honestly, we lack believable decoy runners. Rarely it happens, at times Thaiday and Hannant run a great decoy but it doesn't happen enough. We need to start having real choreographed set plays.

When we had the likes of Langer, Walters, Lockyer etc we didn't really need set plays as those guys could come up with something off instinct, they were once in a lifetime players, but these days, our current crop doesn't have the natural ability to cause something out of nothing, perhaps Barba could do that once in awhile, but that is why we need real set and choreographed attacking plays, in my opinion. It would assist our attack tremendously. Look at the Storms attack or Souths, they have many decoy runners running great lines and the this leaves the defence in tatters. We need to mix it up too, kick early sometimes, turn the defence around. We also need more intensity whilst playing in attack. Overall, we need to lift our intensity but especially in attack it needs to lift. When we go through the hands, it is done at a medium pace with no real intensity, it lacks any real passion, speed and threat. We will scores but imagine how many more tries we'd score if we had set attacking plays, with believable decoy runners running great lines, doing this at high speed and intensity? It changes everything. It will instil fear and confusion into opposition defensive lines, they won't be able to defend if we have real speed and intensity, doing things quick and hard.

Who coaches our defence? It's Kearny, right? Well, I don't think he's the man to shake up our defence and add that grunt we need. Our defence was poor last season. Defence comes down to wanting to make that tackle for the guy next to you & last season I think we lacked that heart & passion to do that but perhaps this season will be different. We just need to be incredibly fierce in defence and hit with sting. Communicate better in the defensive line and work on our defensive structure.

Those are my 2 cents, what do you think guys?

If I was coach Lockyer wouldn't have retired because I'd be giving him so much under the table money and gobbies.

If for whatever reason that didn't work Macca would play 80 and have the captaincy.

If I was the coach I would

- Hold weekly bonding sessions like going to a movie or dinner or break the team into groups and make them sing or dance in front of the rest of the team

- Make training fun and competitive

- Slim the players down and keep them 100% match fit and healthy

- Have a caring but tough and fair approach to the team, get to know them personally and give them the best in their football and personal lives

- Have an army style camp at Canurgra for 24 hours before the season for team building and self confidence

- Use more decoy runners in attack and make the backs stand deep and run onto the ball at speed

- Rotate the bench around more often than what Hook does

- Make the players support each other in defence, if your having trouble making the tackle stick to him and your buddy will come in and help you complete the tackle. Hit and stick

All great ideas which I'm hoping Griffin and co. implements!

We are heading in the right direction though, which is great.

I would quit and let someone more qualified to do the job. IE. Someone who doesn't put Thaiday in the front row.

LOL, we all make mistakes, including our coach. As long as he learns from them, that's what matters. Seems like he may have learned but only this season will tell.

i'd be happy because griffin finally would have been sacked.

I would be looking to try something new if I had been doing the same thing for 3 years and having it fail for the last 1/½ years.

If I was Kearney I'd go back to the Storm to make the coffee and lay out cones.

I would be looking to try something new if I had been doing the same thing for 3 years and having it fail for the last 1/½ years.

If I was Kearney I'd go back to the Storm to make the coffee and lay out cones.

Yeah, Kearney has got to go, always wondered why we hired him.

don't really think of myself as coach when watching the broncos .. this is moreso how I picture myself

images

Or we could just bring back Alfie and that would solve most of our attacking dilemmas?

Yeah, Kearney has got to go, always wondered why we hired him.

It's a handicap, we thought we might be too successful without him, and it just wouldn't have been fair to everyone else...

It's a handicap, we thought we might be too successful without him, and it just wouldn't have been fair to everyone else...

Hahaha, nice point. I couldn't agree more!

This is what I'd do

Step 1: Become coach
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Win premiership

Try to prove this method wrong.

This is what I'd do

Step 1: Become coach
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Win premiership

Try to prove this method wrong.

You just ripped that off Ivan Henjak's Mission Statement :suspicious:

Active Now

• Lurker
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Old Mate
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Evander
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.