Injured Newcastle Knights star Alex McKinnon weighing up advice to sue

They'll have to drag up McKinnon's actions as well. It would have been a nothing faceplant had he not tucked his head under. Whether he panicked, thought he was going further over and tucked his head in to protect himself the best way he thought, who knows. But if this goes to court everyone's actions will be fully exposed and that includes Alex.

If the game caused his injury and then the game turned its back on him in his time of need, then go for it - sue the pants off them

But, that's not what I saw

Yes the game caused his injury, but then the game supported him, financially, medically, emotionally

Turn around and sue them now? **** Off

He's not suing them. He's checking his legal options. Maybe he's entitled to something via work cover, maybe his super has to pay out or something.

So he is looking at suing despite the fact that he got injured because he ducked his head?

Okay. I hope he loses if he does go down that path.

Last edited:
So he is looking at suing despite the fact that he got injured because he ducked his head?

Okay. I hope he loses if he does go down that path.

That's rough. He's getting legal advice, you'd be a fucking retarded not to/

There was nothing wrong with the tackle.

Unfortunately for him, his injury was caused by himself.

Edit: Added video of the tackle.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was nothing wrong with the tackle.

Unfortunately for him, his injury was caused by himself.

Edit: Added video of the tackle.

Was he coached by the Knights to tuck his head in that situation?

Was there adequate coaching about safer ways to protect your head when in that situation?

Should have a reasonably competent professional rugby league team have coached their players as to how to safely avoid injury in this situation?

Were any concerns raised (or was the NRL aware) about a new or dangerous lifting style tackle, or about potential spinal injuries and did it take any steps to mitigate that risk?

This is the kind of retrospective BS that picks apart the unforseeable and makes it seem completely reckless and negligent to not avoid that risk.

**** that video is horrible though.

Is it cynical of me to think that the NRL have been so supportive because they wanted to keep him on-side for this exact reason? I know it's not the full reason, but you'd have to think there is an element of that going on here (more specifically, has been going on since the incident). Things that also go through my head:

* Why has it taken this long to "explore" legal rights? Did he want to wait until he had a better picture of his situation long-term? Has he hit a bit of a slump mentally, doesn't want anything to do with Rugby League anymore, so needs to look at alternative income to the NRL's "job for life"? Of has a solicitor just found a good time to get in to his ear?

* Why is it public knowledge? Was it simply a matter of a secretary or staff member with a big mouth? Or is there an agenda behind it, eg, someone aligned to the NRL got wind of it through their own channels, told the NRL, and the NRL leaked it so that there is somewhat of a backlash towards Alex which might make him have second thoughts?

I'm 100% sure a players association lawyer has helped him along the way. There are so many reasons why he might be doing this, but people are happy to rag on him.

Most of the time when it comes to personal injury, you need a lawyer to sort out workers comp and insurance situations.

****, maybe the NRL need to pay for his neck braces legally but they aren't? Who knows.

Is it cynical of me to think that the NRL have been so supportive because they wanted to keep him on-side for this exact reason? I know it's not the full reason, but you'd have to think there is an element of that going on here (more specifically, has been going on since the incident).

The similarities scare me sometimes.......

As has been mentioned numerous times, he's simply exploring his options or has at the least been advised to. He's said himself that he's reluctant to go down that road but you'd be stupid not to at least explore it really.

The similarities scare me sometimes.......

As has been mentioned numerous times, he's simply exploring his options or has at the least been advised to. He's said himself that he's reluctant to go down that road but you'd be stupid not to at least explore it really.

egaq0jdpj5n.jpg

It's 2015. Be better than that.

Having been through a similar situation, yes it takes time to assess the injuries. You have up to three years to make a claim. From the point of claim, it takes years to either settle or go to court. He hasn't needed to explore legal rights immediately because he isn't strapped for cash after the support he has received. That support of $1.2m or whatever the figure would have tided him over.

The support he's received is likely a lot less than his best case scenario earning potential, and significantly impacted his living situation, future needs and employability.

Like Nashy said, he's only checking his options atm. The law firm has alot of motifs to publicise this for free advertising. Sadly, the law firm stands to make a lot of money out of this so nothing will surprise me. Pretty poor form for anyody to be questioning Alex' character over this. Makes me sick.

It's not poor form at all

It's poor form to sue the company that has done it's best to help you

But that's my opinion

Anyway, I am not condemning Alex yet, because so far it's all media

He hasn't sued yet, but if he does, I stand by my comments and apologise for making anybody sick

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Hurrijo
  • Big Del
  • TimWhatley
  • Astro
  • Organix
  • bb_gun
  • Totally Unr3al
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Old Mate
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Lurker
  • blacknwhite
  • Ozired
  • Johnny92
  • thenry
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.