Is Jessica Watson going to die?

Oh man, when Brodies gets involved then you know that shit is for reals, yo!

No way man - I didn't agree to no sponsorship deal

if anything - she should be sponsoring us if she wants to gain from the glow of association with the awesomeness that is Where's Coxy?

OK, she has always claimed she is doing this solo thing cause it's her dream to do it blah blah blah.

So ................ why the book she's writing? Truth is she's doing this for her 15 minutes of fame and fortune. I don't begrudge her that - just wish she'd be upfront about it

So...Jessica Watson has already sailed into Australian waters. She's nearly home. I still think it was a silly thing to do, but good on her for achieving her goal...soon.

Now the question is, which magazine/TV show will give her a deal first so she can tell us how she was nigelated in a yacht stacked with sponsors for 100+ days?

KrispyKris said:
So...Jessica Watson has already sailed into Australian waters. She's nearly home. I still think it was a silly thing to do, but good on her for achieving her goal...soon.

Now the question is, which magazine/TV show will give her a deal first so she can tell us how she was nigelated in a yacht stacked with sponsors for 100+ days?
ACA.

Lisa McCune will probably play her in the Tele-movie.

You think, I would have thought someone from Neighhhhhhhhhbours or Home and Away andI have to agree about ACA

KrispyKris said:

What does nigelated mean?

Rendered a nigel - ie isolated from all human contact.

So apparently she's going to be about 2000 miles short of the actual record. Oh well it was the publicity that mattered.

The record according to the speed sailing authority...her journey is nothing to do with speed.

On behalf of Jessica and her team, we appreciate the many enquiries we have received about Jessica’s journey and feel it appropriate to provide a formal response to the claims that Jessica has not travelled far enough to claim the World Speed Sailing Racing Council (WSSRC) record, for being the youngest person to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world.

Firstly, it is very important to note that the WSSRC do not recognise any voyages from sailors under the age of 18. As such, Jesse Martin’s WSSR certificate of recognition cannot ever be challenged in the context of the WSSRC criteria. As a result of the WSSR decision to discontinue recognition of age related journeys, there is no official body to recognise Jessica’s feat and therefore no official body’s rules that need to be adhered to.

The facts are as follows.

Jessica has sailed a southern hemisphere solo circumnavigation. There are some basic key requirements that she must adhere to.

‘To sail around the world, a vessel must start from and return to the same point, must cross all meridians of longitude and must cross the Equator’.

Jessica has ticked all of these boxes.

Jessica has sailed the most challenging and treacherous oceans of the world, passing the four capes (Cape Horn, Cape Agulhas, Cape Leeuwin and the Cape of SE Tasmania) and crossed the Equator twice. She has sailed around the world, non-stop, solo, unassisted and when she completes the voyage, she will be the youngest to have done that, sailing almost 23,000 nautical miles in the process. We have official TracPlus data to confirm Jessica’s exact distance upon her return, which currently sits at 22,336 nautical miles.

Jessica has never intended to claim the WSSRC certificate of recognition. Jessica and all her team are well aware that the WSSRC do not recognise voyages for those under the age of 18. She has, however, always wanted to achieve her goal of sailing around the world non-stop, solo and unassisted before her 17th birthday and therefore be the youngest person in the world to have done so.

Please note that Jesse Martin (current youngest to sail solo around the world unassisted) and the UK’s Mike Perham (current youngest to sail around the world solo, assisted) will be at the finish line in Sydney to congratulate Jessica when she arrives.

Jessica has stated the route and information on her website right from the start and all of the facts of her route have been well documented for over 12 months now.

We are pleased to be able to formally respond to this now and hope this clarifies any concerns from her supporters.

We feel Jessica has every right to enjoy the impending accolades and celebrate being the youngest person to sail solo around the world, non-stop and unassisted, when she sails back into Sydney Harbour on the weekend of 15-16 May.

Today marks day 200 of Jessica’s voyage.

I agree she has the right to enjoy every impending accolade and to celebrate hard - she has achieved a great thing.

However I do question the definition of "unassitsed". She has on a number of occassions during her journey received advice via her internet blog from some of our finest ever sailors on how to handle certain condititions/situations she found herself in. Sure she had to follow through and act by herself, but to me she still received assistance via this advice.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • FACTHUNT
  • Redux
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.