Is Johnathan Thurston the GOAT?

F

FAS33

Banned User
May 21, 2016
That's fantastic.

You've taken 10 of Lockyer's seasons out of the equation, 11 from Joey and Freddy's entire career - all to quote some stat you likely looked at after the fact.

can you show me Lockyer's Try assist compared to Thurston's? So we can compare each players ;)

Lockyer had half the Maroons team his whole life. You can't say Lockyer had it hard. Quite the opposite.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
It all depends on your criteria for measuring the GOAT, and isn't that somewhat personal?

For me it is more than pure on field brilliance, it is also how you conduct yourself

JT is an exceptional talent, but he is a serial whinger

DL conducted himself always as a class act, and with his football ability right up there with JT, he gets placed ahead of JT in my view

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The stats say he is the best when it comes to try assist and line break assists.

FAS33 you said this based on a sample size from 2005-2015.

If the game had only been around since 2005, you would be correct, but since you threw it around like you threw around a bunch of other generalisations you've ruined all credibility for yourself.

I've said my piece, love it or leave it.

F

FAS33

Banned User
May 21, 2016
FAS33 you said this based on a sample size from 2005-2015.

If the game had only been around since 2005, you would be correct, but since you threw it around like you threw around a bunch of other generalisations you've ruined all credibility for yourself.

I've said my piece, love it or leave it.

All I asked was how many Try assists has Lockyer offered in a 10 year period. the same period that JT has from 2005 to 2015.

2001 - 2011 for Lockyer?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
You can move the goal-posts any which way you like, I'm not wasting anymore time with it.

Drover Joe

Drover Joe

BRL Player
Feb 26, 2016
When he was moved to 5/8, Darren Lockyer was outright the best fullback in the world and it's fair to say the best player as well. Not only did he excel in the new position and hold his spot as the greatest player in the game, it was where he truly became a game changer and earned his champion title. It is hard to say that Thurston or any other player in the history of the game bar Wally Lewis and possibly Freddy could ever achieve this.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
can you show me Lockyer's Try assist compared to Thurston's? So we can compare each players ;)

Lockyer had half the Maroons team his whole life. You can't say Lockyer had it hard. Quite the opposite.

It's not like JT is playing behind a journeymen forward pack either.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
All I asked was how many Try assists has Lockyer offered in a 10 year period. the same period that JT has from 2005 to 2015.

2001 - 2011 for Lockyer?

Lockyer has too many to count. There isn't as many stars in the sky as Locky T/As.

F

FAS33

Banned User
May 21, 2016
It's not like JT is playing behind a journeymen forward pack either.

Its true JT has had help. One man does not win a Premiership. It's funny cause an argument is made on here that winning more Grand Finals mean they're a better player. Which is not the case. Grand Finals are team awards.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Locky was the best clutch player i have ever seen... The amount of times he pulled off the big play right when the team needed it was incredible.

And IMO JT doesn't come close to him in that regard.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Big Del
  • Dash
  • Galah
  • Santa
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • theshed
  • Lazza
  • simplythebest
  • Alec
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.