Featured
Brisbane’s Jamayne Isaako wants
to win the Broncos fullback spot
in season 2020 over
Darius Boyd and Anthony Milford

Fatima Kdouh,
The Daily Telegraph
October 17, 2019 5:57pm

Jamayne Isaako is being groomed as Brisbane’s long term fullback option but the future has arrived according to the winger. Broncos coach Anthony Seibold is expected to make wholesale changes not only to his top 30 roster but his best 17 over the upcoming pre-season. One of those moves will be in the no. 1 jumper and Isaako, 23, is determined to win the position over veteran custodian Darius Boyd and Anthony Milford.

“It’s going to be a pretty big year in terms of positional changes within the team and we know the coach will be making a few changes when the season starts,” Isaako said. “I’m not too sure at the moment [where I will play], I want to get through the Nines and then the Test matches and then worry about club footy once all that is done.

Isaako wants to play fullback next year. AAP Image/Darren England.

Isaako wants to play fullback next year. AAP Image/Darren England.

“Whether I play on the wing or at the back next year, that’s a conversation I need to have with the coach.” Fullback is Isaako’s preferred position - he was named Queensland Cup Fullback of the Year in 2017 during his time at the Souths-Logan Magpies. Since making his NRL debut at the back in 2017 — his one and only game that season — the Aranui Eagles junior has only played three other games at fullback.

“I debuted at fullback for the Broncs, it’s not a position that I am unfamiliar with and I played all my Queensland Cup football at fullback so hopefully I can crack that spot there next year for the Broncos,” Isaako said. “It’s definitely my preferred position, I never played on the wing until my opening season last year so I’ll be looking to get back there next year for sure.”

Isaako has played most of his NRL career on the wing. AAP Image/Darren England.

Isaako has played most of his NRL career on the wing. AAP Image/Darren England.

A standout performance from Isaako during the World Cup Nines for New Zealand will be his first chance to press his case to Seibold. The previous stranglehold skipper Boyd had on the position forced the pointscoring machine out onto the wing in 2018 and 2019. Despite being in a new position, Isaako finished season 2018 as the game’s top point scorer and was awarded the Dally M Rookie of the Year award.

A slow start to this year’s campaign for the Broncos finally forced Seibold to switch Boyd from fullback into the halves in round 15 with Anthony Milford replacing the skipper in the back field. But Seibold’s impending pre-season positional shake-up could see the Broncos field a relatively new look back five combination — especially if Isaako is handed custodian duties.

It was an up and down campaign for Isaako in 2019. Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images.

It was an up and down campaign for Isaako in 2019. Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images.

It’s a move that could squeeze Boyd out onto the wing or even out of the best 17 players. It also opens up an opportunity for the likes of Xavier Coates, Gehamat Shibasaki and Izaia Perese to press their claims for regular starting spots. Winger Corey Oates is a free agent in less than two-weeks as his protracted contract negotiations continue with the club.

But utility Jack Bird is now likely to see out the final year of his deal at Red Hill and should hold down a centre spot if can remain healthy in 2020. The marquee signing has only played 17 games in two seasons. Melbourne halfback Brodie Croft had a meeting with Seibold in September about a touted move north to Brisbane. His signing will only add another piece to Seibold’s roster puzzle during the pre-season.

Last edited:

NSW stables

QCup Player
Wasnt there an article almost exactly like this about a month or two ago? Geez, league journalism is a joke.

kluppy

NYC Player
And I want to win the lotto without buying a ticket...... I like my odds more then Jamayne's

• Haha
Reactions: LGH

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I'd be happy to see him get a shot, but I'm not convinced. Hopefully he can add more to his game.

Last edited:

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
I thought I posted them up when I compared his prior work in numbers to Darbs?

23 Games
9 Tries
12 Runs Avg (130m avg)
59m Kick Return Avg
38m Post Contact Avg
12 Linebreaks
6 Line Break Assists
5 Try Assists
108 Tackle Breaks
3.59 Avg Play the Ball speed
16 Offloads
31 Receipts Avg
18 Passes Avg
15 Kicks total
29 Errors
9 Penalties

The errors stats worry me. If he's as bad under the high ball at fullback as he is on the wing then you may as well look elsewhere. There was a lot to criticise Darbs for but he was still pretty good at fielding kicks.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏

23 Games
9 Tries
12 Runs Avg (130m avg)
59m Kick Return Avg
38m Post Contact Avg
12 Linebreaks
6 Line Break Assists
5 Try Assists
108 Tackle Breaks
16 Offloads
31 Receipts Avg
18 Passes Avg
15 Kicks total
29 Errors
9 Penalties

The errors stats worry me. If he's as bad under the high ball at fullback as he is on the wing then you may as well look elsewhere. There was a lot to criticise Darbs for but he was still pretty good at fielding kicks.
Those stats are pretttttttttttty average. I assumed he killed it, considering he won Fullback of the year, but judging by those stats he's absolutely a winger.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
Wasnt there an article almost exactly like this about a month or two ago? Geez, league journalism is a joke.
And it's only weeks after the GF. This shit is gonna be laughably bad over the next few months. We'll be getting nothing but rumor and innuendo all the way until trials.

Big Pete

International Captain
Brisbane
Those stats are pretttttttttttty average. I assumed he killed it, considering he won Fullback of the year, but judging by those stats he's absolutely a winger.
I can't remember if it was a weak field or not, my only memory is that Isaako had an inconsistent year where he could look world class one week and then go MIA a couple of weeks later.

In fairness, it was his first year at fullback. Coming through the 20s he was a centre who could play five eighth at a pinch. He struggled defensively in the centres at QCup level so they moved him to fullback where he showed some promise.

I think the ship is sailing for Jamayne at Red Hill. I don't think he's a winger and if he was ever going to make a splash at fullback, it was this year where he was coming off a strong rookie season and the club was looking at potential replacements for Boyd. After the season he's had, I don't think the coaching staff has a lot of confidence in him.

It would not shock me to see him at St George Illawarra, in fact it's almost too perfect.

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
I can't remember if it was a weak field or not, my only memory is that Isaako had an inconsistent year where he could look world class one week and then go MIA a couple of weeks later.

In fairness, it was his first year at fullback. Coming through the 20s he was a centre who could play five eighth at a pinch. He struggled defensively in the centres at QCup level so they moved him to fullback where he showed some promise.

I think the ship is sailing for Jamayne at Red Hill. I don't think he's a winger and if he was ever going to make a splash at fullback, it was this year where he was coming off a strong rookie season and the club was looking at potential replacements for Boyd. After the season he's had, I don't think the coaching staff has a lot of confidence in him.

It would not shock me to see him at St George Illawarra, in fact it's almost too perfect.
another promising career destroyed by mediocre coaching?

State of Origin Rep

23 Games
9 Tries
12 Runs Avg (130m avg)
59m Kick Return Avg
38m Post Contact Avg
12 Linebreaks
6 Line Break Assists
5 Try Assists
108 Tackle Breaks
16 Offloads
31 Receipts Avg
18 Passes Avg
15 Kicks total
29 Errors
9 Penalties

It won't let me press quote, but in the week before his first NRL game I had massive reservations about his form consistency. It was a pretty good indicator of his NRL form too.

Earlier in the year he was bringing the ball back with real venom and involvement against Tweed he was out of this world. There was a period from round four to ten he was sensational. Statistically to put it in context he has made 2133m this year from his 16 games that's 133m on average- remember he gained 31m on Sunday a mere 102m below average.

1019m of that was scored during the period I spoke about round 4-10. That's pretty close to half his work in six games. Isaako regained some real form again the last three weeks before this week in a big effort again with three really good games.

Which brings me to my earlier point- On Sunday he looked flat and hit a wall physically.

What has remained consistent and a strength with his running is his ability to break tackles, he does that through out the year and even on Sunday he broke tackles he just didn't react and do anything- again looked flat. For the record he has 82 tackle breaks this year at five a game. Even within that consistency 44 of them again in that period earlier in the year.

His form was much much greater earlier as I said, but having said that maybe a NRL call up will be the boost he needs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter