NEWS Isaako eyes big switch

Re Jamayne....my gut tells me he is a fullback.

That try he scored against the Roosters to win us a game....broken field, two right foot steps...that was a classical fullback try faced with a broken line.....

Not a bad option.

I agree we don;t want to put too much faith in 9's form, but his efforts on the weekend for me clearly earned him the right to be starting fullback in the trials, and then trials form can say if he earns it for round 1

For what it's worth I think in two years time he'll be rated by everyone. I think that after the trauma of losing his father and associated grieving process combined with greater maturity he'll come out the other side a complete package and at the top of his game. Yes, I know many things can prevent or impede but with luck he'll kick on to a great career.

For what it's worth I think in two years time he'll be rated by everyone. I think that after the trauma of losing his father and associated grieving process combined with greater maturity he'll come out the other side a complete package and at the top of his game. Yes, I know many things can prevent or impede but with luck he'll kick on to a great career.

His Dad is still alive for the record. He's never seen him play a Test match live, but is hoping to be well enough to make it to the NZ test in a couple of weeks in Christchurch to watch him play.

Wonder if sharks would trade Bird for Johnson. An spine of

1. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Johnson
9. Turpin

will be exciting at least.

Johnson is absolutely the opposite of what we need
I'd still take him just not at a big price.

That being said, I think Croft is the best available signing we could make out of any other option. SJ is 30 next year, he doesn't have much time left in the NRL.

His Dad is still alive for the record. He's never seen him play a Test match live, but is hoping to be well enough to make it to the NZ test in a couple of weeks in Christchurch to watch him play.
Kind of anticipated someone would point out his father was still alive but thought you guys would know I knew. No matter. It's very likely he will pass in the coming months especially considering the published prognosis. I hope he survives long enough to fulfill his desire to see his boy play.

Wonder if sharks would trade Bird for Johnson. An spine of

1. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Johnson
9. Turpin

will be exciting at least.
Please NO! couldn't think of anything worse.
Wait maybe Pearce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't be against Pearce,just be sure to lock up your dogs.

Isaako at Fullback forces Milford back into the Halves which forces Boyd into a non-spine position (most likely Wing or Centre) so for me that alone is worth the risk.

Isaako may not set the world on fire, but as long as he turns up in January with all four limbs attached and working then he's basically guaranteed to be more effective in the role than Boyd.
I think the good thing about Isaako is you can't ever doubt his effort. He always tries very hard, and from memory the couple games he did play there had good kick returns and lurked around a bit for offloads. With our current forward pack, we need someone with the energy to sniff around for the offloads and run from that. Isaako is probably one of our better open field runners at the moment, so would be perfect for that. Decent pace, good feet, it would help a lot with people like Fifita, Haas and TPJ so good with offloads.

Sure, he might not have the best passing game in the comp, but that can improve over time, and it will allow milf to go back in to the halves where he belongs. Boyd is only good at the 2 on 1 / cut out pass at fullback, not like he is good with short balls or anything like that. Pretty easy skillset for Isaako to just really focus on over the off season in my opinion.

**** that career went quick. I’m sitting here waiting for him to reach his potential like 2011 was 2 years ago.
Some players are just like that, in a blink of the eye they go from being the next big thing to being past their prime and looking down the end of their career, Johnson is no different.

I think the good thing about Isaako is you can't ever doubt his effort. He always tries very hard, and from memory the couple games he did play there had good kick returns and lurked around a bit for offloads. With our current forward pack, we need someone with the energy to sniff around for the offloads and run from that. Isaako is probably one of our better open field runners at the moment, so would be perfect for that. Decent pace, good feet, it would help a lot with people like Fifita, Haas and TPJ so good with offloads.

Sure, he might not have the best passing game in the comp, but that can improve over time, and it will allow milf to go back in to the halves where he belongs. Boyd is only good at the 2 on 1 / cut out pass at fullback, not like he is good with short balls or anything like that. Pretty easy skillset for Isaako to just really focus on over the off season in my opinion.
I think another thing Isaako could provide potentially is a general play kicking game which would be of huge benefit considering the lacklusture one our spine provided this season, injuries aside it's completely unacceptable to be in a position where your two halves can't even provide a satisfactory kicking game and the opposition need only pressure one player to outright kill their kicking game. (though you can argue bringing in a proper halfback would make this a non issue it certainly couldn't hurt to see the potential of this).

Last edited:
I think another thing Isaako could provide potentially is a general play kicking game which would be of huge benefit considering the lacklusture one our spine provided this season, injuries aside it's completely unacceptable to be in a position where your two halves can't even provide a satisfactory kicking game and the opposition need only pressure one player to outright kill their kicking game. (though you can argue bringing in a proper halfback would make this a non issue it certainly couldn't hurt to see the potential of this).
I've suggested this before, Isaako's kicking ability in general play that is but quite a few doubted his ability to do it effectively. My argument then and now is that (in my experience with foot and ball) anyone who has a fantastic kick also has that ability with the many and varied other kicks. It may not be as good as their specialty but good nonetheless.

I've suggested this before, Isaako's kicking ability in general play that is but quite a few doubted his ability to do it effectively. My argument then and now is that (in my experience with foot and ball) anyone who has a fantastic kick also has that ability with the many and varied other kicks. It may not be as good as their specialty but good nonetheless.
It's something worth at least exploring if he indeed does end up at fullback, we need more kicking options then Milford, it may work it may not. I just don't want to see us repeat this.

Last edited:
It's something worth at least exploring if he indeed does end up at fullback, we need more kicking options then Milford, it may work it may not. I just don't want to see us repeat this.
Even just using him for the long range kicks from in our own half. I think he has a lot of power with his kicks. If he c an learn to do a decent cheeky grubber like karmichael hunt used to do, he won't need to know how to pass.

Assuming Bird will either fly the coop at the of 2020 or be told he isn’t wanted, then making the investment in Isaako at FB now and keeping Jack in the centres makes sense to me. Easier to drop in a new centre than replace a spine member, surely? Be that Perese or Coates after another full season, I think centre will be covered.

I for one really hope Isaako makes it at the Broncos. Seems like the sort of guy that would give his all for the club.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Strop
  • KateBroncos1812
  • simplythebest
  • winslow_wong
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Brotherdu
  • porouian
  • GCBRONCO
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Battler
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncoFan94
  • Organix
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Mustafur
  • Culhwch
  • Scorchie
  • Hoof Hearted
... and 36 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.