Dobbo Warning Israel Folau’s secret meeting with the Brisbane Broncos revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

roo-ted

NRL Player
People can spend their money as they see fit, I can have an opinion on that (although I don't recall voicing one in here), people can have an opinion about my opinion and on and on ad infinitum. Just because he's not forcing anyone to donate doesn't make it a better look for a multi millionaire to be rattling the tin for other people to cover his legal bills. It seems like he's less looking for freedom of speech and more for freedom from consequences.
Yeah not a good look I agree, but I can see why his GoFundMe account is making headway. I’m predicting there to be a massive spike in donations tomorrow afternoon once church services have finished.

I think the whole freedom of speech argument lays in the consequence that he’s received. There is no freedom of speech if consequences such as losing your livelihood are being forced as a result of that speech.

Battler

NRL Captain
North Brisbane
What’s astounding is how many rich idiots there are in this world.

Numerous $5,000 donations?!? You’ve got to be kidding me.

Give that money to cancer research, MND research, RSPCA, Dolly’s Dream or one of the thousands of other worthwhile causes there are out there.

I actually find it disgusting.
At the end of the day people can spend their money how they like. It's not a zero sum game where if you're spending X dollars on Y luxury you're somehow a villain because there are sick and dying people who need support (which they get in our country with Universal Healthcare, but that's a different argument).

25% of people develop potentially fatal cancer in their lifetimes and others live with chronic illnesses (I personally have Colitis, which isn't the worst thing in the world but still requires medication which gets expensive over time). It sucks, but it's reality and people with money shouldn't feel bad about it because they're donating to what they believe is a big deal, and it sort of is when you consider that a decision in Folau's favour could very well set a legal precedent.

So what would you say about people who suggest we set up a GoFundMe to keep a sports player at a particular club? Where is the disgust and outrage over there?
A suggestion I made that could make sense to some who avidly follow and support their sporting team, including already parting with large sums of money for membership etc. Rich super fans like Politis already likely do this and skew the competition anyway. Again, people can spend their money how they like and Go Fund Me doesn't exist purely to assist those with horrible illnesses.

JAHHW

NRL Player
At the end of the day people can spend their money how they like. It's not a zero sum game where if you're spending X dollars on Y luxury you're somehow a villain because there are sick and dying people who need support (which they get in our country with Universal Healthcare, but that's a different argument).

25% of people develop potentially fatal cancer in their lifetimes and others live with chronic illnesses (I personally have Colitis, which isn't the worst thing in the world but still requires medication which gets expensive over time). It sucks, but it's reality and people with money shouldn't feel bad about it because they're donating to what they believe is a big deal, and it sort of is when you consider that a decision in Folau's favour could very well set a legal precedent.

A suggestion I made that could make sense to some who avidly follow and support their sporting team, including already parting with large sums of money for membership etc. Rich super fans like Politis already likely do this and skew the competition anyway. Again, people can spend their money how they like and Go Fund Me doesn't exist purely to assist those with horrible illnesses.
People can absolutely spend their money how they see fit, I’m not debating that.

Equally, I can, and will continue to, call them idiots and find it disgusting that they waste it on unworthy causes like supporting a multi-millionaire in his personal legal fight because he chose to repeatedly breach his employment contract, rather than put it to good use supporting people who not only have no choice regarding the fight they find themselves in but also truly need it.

Allo

NRL Captain
People can absolutely spend their money how they see fit, I’m not debating that.

Equally, I can, and will continue to, call them idiots and find it disgusting that they waste it on unworthy causes like supporting a multi-millionaire in his personal legal fight because he chose to repeatedly breach his employment contract, rather than put it to good use supporting people who not only have no choice regarding the fight they find themselves in but also truly need it.
Exactly. People can do, say, spend their money or whatever they want in whatever way they want. It doesn’t mean they are immune to criticism or consequences of their choices, particularly when it’s played out so publicly.

Israel has freedom to say what he wants, but he has to face and accept consequences of losing his job (‘vilifying’ entire sections of society will do that). He has the right to set up a gofundme and people have the right to donate to it, but they can be criticised for it.

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
Yeah not a good look I agree, but I can see why his GoFundMe account is making headway. I’m predicting there to be a massive spike in donations tomorrow afternoon once church services have finished.

I think the whole freedom of speech argument lays in the consequence that he’s received. There is no freedom of speech if consequences such as losing your livelihood are being forced as a result of that speech.
That’s not what free speech means, it means people can say what they want without fear of persecution from the government, not lack of any and all consequences.

In any line of work if you say something publicly that causes reputational damage to you employer, you will lose your employment. If you do something that you have already been warned against, you will lose your employment. End of story.

The way you paint it you make it sound like freedom of speech means you can walk into your bosses office and tell them to go **** themselves and they can’t fire you because it would infringe on your freedom of speech.

roo-ted

NRL Player
That’s not what free speech means, it means people can say what they want without fear of persecution from the government, not lack of any and all consequences.

In any line of work if you say something publicly that causes reputational damage to you employer, you will lose your employment. If you do something that you have already been warned against, you will lose your employment. End of story.

The way you paint it you make it sound like freedom of speech means you can walk into your bosses office and tell them to go **** themselves and they can’t fire you because it would infringe on your freedom of speech.
It’s a bit different when a boss sacks you over your religious belief. Would it be acceptable if the shoe was on the other foot and a boss sacked someone over their sexual preference or lifestyle belief?

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo

You can argue that but it's a hell of a stretch. Players aren't typical employees, they're essentially spokesmodels for whatever brands sponsor their team and code. Israel was warned about posting about gay people on instagram, agreed not to do it, then did it again anyway in full knowledge of the consequences. It's a pretty piss poor effort from him and he then tried to push the financial consequences of his actions onto other people who on the whole are far less able to afford it than he is. I wouldn't want someone like that anywhere near the team.

E:
It’s a bit different when a boss sacks you over your religious belief. Would it be acceptable if the shoe was on the other foot and a boss sacked someone over their sexual preference or lifestyle belief?
He's not being sacked for being Christian, he's being sacked for publicly continuing to speak against a marginalised group after being directed, and agreeing, to stop.

Last edited:

roo-ted

NRL Player
He hasn't been sacked for his religious beliefs. He's been sacked for bringing his employer into disrepute.
Really? So the social media post wasn’t the problem?
I understand he was asked to remove it and refused to do so, but that still leaves us with a social media post, which was outlining his religious beliefs..

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
One question that should be asked by these dipshits giving the multi-millionaire money is ...

Why does he need $3 million to fight an unfair dismissal case?

Surely, it doesn't cost anywhere near that, if it did then the unfair dismissal laws are pointless as only a very miniscule portion of people could fight them

NSW stables

QCup Player
Stepping away from the freedom of speech issue (which it isnt, it is that he breached contract stipulations), and the fact he is begging for money given the amount of money he has earned and property portfolio. What has pissed me off reading a quote from him saying "it is the fight of my life" and he has posted a go fund me page right next to people (including children) who ARE actually fighting for their lives! Fucking pull your head in dickhead and open your eyes, there are more important things than you.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
I understand he was asked to remove it and refused to do so, but that still leaves us with a social media post, which was outlining his religious beliefs..
Breaching his employer's social media policy is still a legit reason for termination of contract

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
What the ****? How are you not getting this.

He didn’t post on Twitter “I am a Christian”. He posted something incredibly offensive to a huge group of people. A view that not all Christians agree with btw.

Dash

NRL Captain
Brisbane
One question that should be asked by these dipshits giving the multi-millionaire money is ...

Why does he need $3 million to fight an unfair dismissal case?

Surely, it doesn't cost anywhere near that, if it did then the unfair dismissal laws are pointless as only a very miniscule portion of people could fight them
For $3 million you'd hope he's bringing Johnny Cochrane back from the dead to win one last case.

roo-ted

NRL Player
What the ****? How are you not getting this.

He didn’t post on Twitter “I am a Christian”. He posted something incredibly offensive to a huge group of people. A view that not all Christians agree with btw.
BUT YET STILL HIS RELIGIOUS BELIEF.
Hell awaits gays, drunks ect ect,

It baffles me that you don’t think that was his religious belief. Do you think he just made it up ?

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
BUT YET STILL HIS RELIGIOUS BELIEF.
Hell awaits gays, drunks ect ect,

It baffles me that you don’t think that was his religious belief. Do you think he just made it up ?
Religious beliefs don't exempt you from contracts or workplace codes. Muslims still have to pay interest on their mortgages and Muslim bank employees still have to charge interest on loans. Rastas aren't allowed to fail drug tests and Hindus don't get religious festivals off without prior agreement.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Some people's religious beliefs are to kill all infidels, that shit wouldn't float.We wouldn't give someone a pedestal to preach that shit.

Israel's tweets fly very close to hate speech.

Also important to remember there are young people that look(ed) up to him. If anyone scared a young relative of mine with that going to hell to burn forever shit I would be pissed off and damn near tear their throat out. It is pretty much a threat.

roo-ted

NRL Player
Some people's religious beliefs are to kill all infidels, that shit wouldn't float.We wouldn't give someone a pedestal to preach that shit.

Israel's tweets fly very close to hate speech.

Also important to remember there are young people that look(ed) up to him. If anyone scared a young relative of mine with that going to hell to burn forever shit I would be pissed off and damn near tear their throat out. It is pretty much a threat.
Hate speech condemning them to a hell in which they don’t believe in. The whole thing is just ridiculous, both sides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter