Israel Folau wants out... I'll show him the door.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The thing is the defectors are being used, but at the same time, are using the other code.

Wendell Sailor was on NRL on Fox the other week and talked about his defection to Union. He basically said he had never played a game before in his life and had no idea if he'd like it or be any good at it, but it was 4 years of guaranteed money. Who turns that down?

And that's the trick. Hunt is being used as a publicity tool, sure. But he's also going to make a guaranteed $3 million out of it, even if he's an abject failure at the sport.

What it will come down to with Izzy is whether he'd be happy to have 3 years of boredom and frustration in exchange for easy money. If his family and morals are as nice as everyone makes out you would think the money side wouldn't be the be all and end all.

But we'll see.

As I said, I'm treating it as though I expect him to announce he's leaving pretty much at full time of Game 3 of Origin this year. If he announces he's staying loyal to league, and particularly the Broncos, then I'll be very pleasantly surprised.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
unfortunately the players managers are hte ones who are money hungry and will put a nice spin on the deal to izzy

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:
OXY-351 said:
I can't see Folau being a hugely successful AFL player. Sure he can catch, but can he even kick? He just doesn't strike me as the AFL type of player

Agreed. Can jump and catch, and is strong, but isn't particularly agile, I've never seen him kick, I haven't heard if he's ever played a game in his life (at least Harmichael had played a few games at school)...not saying he couldn't do it but damn it'd be hard work.

yeah but can he catch while contesting with other players who can actually jump and catch as well or better that izzy can? [icon_lol1.

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
In all seriousness the Rugby Union and Rugby League are facing an uphill battle against the AFL with their huge wods of cash that they through around everywhere. The Union and League Bossess need to get togeather and make a pact of some sort that if a NRL or Rugby player defects to AFL then no NRL or Super 14 team can ever sign that player again.

This way it is a much much bigger risk. Sure they can get the 3mil for playing three years but what happens if they are a complete dudd after three years. They have nothing but overseas rugby offers. I couldnt care less if they went overseas but just dont let them play in the Aussie comps.

Its time the NRL got tough on the kids who they have spent countless hours and millions of dollars on!!!!!!!!!!!

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Donny said:
In all seriousness the Rugby Union and Rugby League are facing an uphill battle against the AFL with their huge wods of cash that they through around everywhere. The Union and League Bossess need to get togeather and make a pact of some sort that if a NRL or Rugby player defects to AFL then no NRL or Super 14 team can ever sign that player again.

This way it is a much much bigger risk. Sure they can get the 3mil for playing three years but what happens if they are a complete dudd after three years. They have nothing but overseas rugby offers. I couldnt care less if they went overseas but just dont let them play in the Aussie comps.

Its time the NRL got tough on the kids who they have spent countless hours and millions of dollars on!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah but telling them if they go they can't come back is pretty pointless. They'll just go and not come back! [icon_lol1.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Donny said:

IMO, AFL are only a threat for the first 3 years of their new franchises because those clubs will be exempt from the AFL's salary cap for the first 3 years. guys who take these million dollar offers are going to have to take 500k pay cuts to stay at these clubs after that because not many clubs can afford to pay players 1 million odd a season an fit under the cap... in fact only 2 or three players in the AFL this season are on that money. Judd, Brown and possible Gary Abblett

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
Coxy said:
Donny said:

Yeah but telling them if they go they can't come back is pretty pointless. They'll just go and not come back! [icon_lol1.

But on the other hand if AFL doesnt work out for them and they turn out to be shit at AFL what will they do. If they cant play Rugby of NRL in Australia then they will be forced to move overseas to play.

My point is if we make an example of one or two of them the other's would be thinking twice about such a big risk IMO. Knowing they would never be aloud to play NRL or Rugby in Aus if AFL didnt work out might just make them think its not worth the risk.

Like i said before NRL has got to stand up and make a stand against some of these players!!!!

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Foordy said:
Donny said:

IMO, AFL are only a threat for the first 3 years of their new franchises because those clubs will be exempt from the AFL's salary cap for the first 3 years. guys who take these million dollar offers are going to have to take 500k pay cuts to stay at these clubs after that because not many clubs can afford to pay players 1 million odd a season an fit under the cap... in fact only 2 or three players in the AFL this season are on that money. Judd, Brown and possible Gary Abblett

Agreed. Not only will they no longer be able to afford it, but they'll quickly realise (like union did) that these guys are not ready-made AFL superstars. Union in Australia is now less of a threat because they're no longer offering the big bucks for league players. The real union threat is from Europe and Japan because there is simply oodles of money over there, something Aussie Rules does not have going for it.

If we can weather the storm for 3-5 years, I think the AFL threat will drop dramatically.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
schmix said:
Agreed. Not only will they no longer be able to afford it, but they'll quickly realise (like union did) that these guys are not ready-made AFL superstars. Union in Australia is now less of a threat because they're no longer offering the big bucks for league players. The real union threat is from Europe and Japan because there is simply oodles of money over there, something Aussie Rules does not have going for it.

If we can weather the storm for 3-5 years, I think the AFL threat will drop dramatically.

In the meanwhile, we'll miss on one of the most promissing players in the code... :evil:
I believe Folau has the potential to become the best centre in the game, so I really hope he stays! [icon_pray.

But if he doesn't, I will be the last person to blame him, as I'm not sure I would resist the kind of money he is being offered to leave the NRL. :oops:

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Izzy's got what he wanted from this whole debarcle. He'll have an improved contract at the Broncos due to the increase in the salary cap and he'll still be close to home with his family.

A

Aeetee

State of Origin Rep
Mar 4, 2008
NEWS FLASH! Fox sports report folau will sign with GWS tomorrow!!

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Aeetee said:
NEWS FLASH! Fox sports report folau will sign with GWS tomorrow!!

he better farken not!!!! [icon_non

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Nothing on the net about it yet.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Man this makes me wish we still had Michaels signed, then we could just send him to GWS with a Falou face mask, problem solved. icon_thumbs_u

A

Aeetee

State of Origin Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Honestly.... Ihave no idea. Something I heard from someone in the NRL circles. He could have been geeing me up...time will tell.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Down here in Melbourne they just had a preview for an AFL show and they pretty much stated that Izzy had signed up to play AFL.

A

Aeetee

State of Origin Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Well maybe the mail i got about him and GWS is on the money.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • TimWhatley
  • Skyblues87
  • Fozz
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Bish
  • Shane Tronc
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • eggstar10
  • Jedhead
  • Harry Sack
  • Jazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.