Israel Folau

sydney_bronco09 said:
hunt is the best fb in the game. slater is so overrated and cannot handle rep footy.

Slater is the best FB in NRL atm.. but his style of play does not suit rep footy. Simple as that..

mal said:
sydney_bronco09 said:
hunt is the best fb in the game. slater is so overrated and cannot handle rep footy.

Slater is the best FB in NRL atm.. but his style of play does not suit rep footy. Simple as that..

Agree wholeheartedly Mal.

sydney_bronco09 said:
Slater was the standout for QLD he made 245 metres, was awesome and the only one who acutally looked like sparking something, it will be a disgrace if he doesn't hold the jersey.

It will hardly be a disgrace... If you want to keep losing then i understand you wanting slater at fullback. If Hunt playen fullback then i doubt that they would target him as much as they would slater. Plus it wouldnt be that hard making 245m with the amount of kick returns he had to do which was NSW game plan.

QUEENSLANDER said:
i thought this thread was about folau haha
Hunt VS Slater is a whore topic atm. [icon_lol1.

Anywho, I like the idea of Falou being on the wing, but does anyone seriously think it will happen? I sure as hell dont!

depends on where Cullen tells Henjak to play him. he wont want his money sitting on the wing.

we need to ban all "Hunt vs Slater" talk.

Folau will play center sadly left Center

I don't think it's going to stop the coaching staff from putting Folau on the left just because he got showed up in Origin which is largely due to the fact that Thurston barely kicked it over there and that Inglis virtually got torn apart from Gasnier. I think he's more than competent playing at left centre and will grow into the role.

SimplyBronco said:
I don't think it's going to stop the coaching staff from putting Folau on the left just because he got showed up in Origin which is largely due to the fact that Thurston barely kicked it over there and that Inglis virtually got torn apart from Gasnier. I think he's more than competent playing at left centre and will grow into the role.

Like Hodges and Tate? Maybe we should apply your logic to Hodges and groom him as a left centre?

Thurston "barely kicked it over there" because he had to do it all on his own without a creative playmaker at 5/8 and Inglis got torn apart by Gasnier purely because of Wallace's kicking game and Bellamy's game plan.

IMO, the difference between the 2 teams in SoO 1 was Bellamy.

You'd like to compare Tate to Folau? Hodges in any case plays a style that is elusive yet involves power when he's already half broken the line with that massive step but from what you see with Folau is that he plays with more aggression and power upfront followed up by amazing aerial skills that Hodges doesn't have. You simply can't compare the two. Based on your logic we should be comparing every player who has flopped when switched onto the other side of the field. Obviously it's not favourable but a player of Folau's quality shouldn't have an issue to grow into that position. You can afford to put him there at club level simply because of the difference in standard of Origin with first grade.

There's absolutely no reason why Thurston wouldn't kick it there just because he's the sole playmaker. He had every chance to kick it onto Folau's wing yet on numerous occasions decided to kick it to the other side of the field. Wallace's kicking game was great but it was more to do with Gasnier's individual brilliance more than anything and him being set up. Had it been any other centre in Gasnier's position and I believe that he would've been stopped more times than he got through.

Frank the Tank said:
SimplyBronco said:
There's absolutely no reason why Thurston wouldn't kick it there just because he's the sole playmaker. He had every chance to kick it onto Folau's wing yet on numerous occasions decided to kick it to the other side of the field. Wallace's kicking game was great but it was more to do with Gasnier's individual brilliance more than anything and him being set up. Had it been any other centre in Gasnier's position and I believe that he would've been stopped more times than he got through.
it looked like Thurston had one side of the field, Hunt had the other - and Hunt failed miserably at getting the ball to his men.

That was thurstons fault tho, the halfback should be on both sides of the ruck throughout the set of 6

Frank the Tank said:
SimplyBronco said:
it looked like Thurston had one side of the field, Hunt had the other - and Hunt failed miserably at getting the ball to his men.
Hunt would get the ball to Slater, only to have Slater drop it or throw it into touch.

draggx said:
we need to ban all "Hunt vs Slater" talk.

Folau will play center sadly left Center
sorry i didn't see this when i made my Hunt > Slater statement.

Folau will be awesome wherever he is in our backline. icon_thumbs_u

Frank the Tank said:
SimplyBronco said:

True to a certain extent that you see teams continually have one playmaker on each side of the ruck but it's ridiculous that you bypass any opportunity to get it onto the other side of the field at any opportunity when you have two giants with as much talent as Inglis and Folau and choose to kick to Tate and Hodges simply because you're playing on 'that' side.

SimplyBronco said:
You'd like to compare Tate to Folau? Hodges in any case plays a style that is elusive yet involves power when he's already half broken the line with that massive step but from what you see with Folau is that he plays with more aggression and power upfront followed up by amazing aerial skills that Hodges doesn't have. You simply can't compare the two. Based on your logic we should be comparing every player who has flopped when switched onto the other side of the field. Obviously it's not favourable but a player of Folau's quality shouldn't have an issue to grow into that position. You can afford to put him there at club level simply because of the difference in standard of Origin with first grade.

Then why don't we play Hodges on the left? Is he not "quality"? Clearly, some players are just better on one side than the other.

As for Wallace's kicking game, he inevitably kicked on the 4th tackle and kicked it exactly to where Bellamy said in his game plan.

To argue that had it been any other centre than Gasnier is pointless. Gasnier was and will be there and they will play to his strengths.

Dare I say it - I agree with Frank. Hunt just couldn't deliver in attack and Folau was out of reach of quality ball. I hope he's on the right in Origin 2 and Hunt is nowhere near 5/8.

So much for our brilliant backline which would carve up the Blues as so many posters argued. No-one figured on Bellamy's astute analysis of our strengths and weaknesses.

For mine, the halves should be Prince at 7 and Thurston at 6, although it does look like Locky will return as 6.

BroncoMatt said:
Gould when on and on and on.. about how 'lost' he was on the left. I dont think it was the fact he was lost, I think it was the fact QLD hardly attacked down that side!

BINGO!

Falou wasn't lost at all. It was the QLD forward pack, so inevitably the QLD halves that were lost.

Falou didn't get the ball enough to be "lost"

Frank the Tank said:
if it was Mal Meningas game plan then its Mal Meningas fault.

Don't think it was Mal's game plan at all. I have heard all of the coaching staff and at least 3 of the players publicly state that they (Qld) did not stick to the game plan in any way, shape or form.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • mieko
  • Broncosgirl
  • marw
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.