Israel Folau

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
An old topic but a question that occured to me earlier. With Folau seemingly so lost at left wing in Origin, what makes him any better at left centre? He played right wing last year, right centre this year. If he is poor at left wing, I would assume he'd be poor at left centre too, seeing as he is equally adept in both positions on the right side. Now obviously Hodges is crap at left centre too, so does that mean we should play Folau on the right wing, or do we play a star back on the side of the field where he isn't as comfortable, and tell him to deal with it?

He has to be on the right wing IMO. People say he is wasted on the wing but he is more wasted in the centres. Since Tuqiri and Sailor left we have not had a big winger and teams just keep exposing that by bombing to us. Look at our some wingers over the years - Bott, Minto, Tupou, (and more recently) Robinson and Kemp - all hopeless under the high ball and continually letting in 4 points. Put Folau on the wing and we have no problem. Put him in the centres, they simply kick it over him. We can also bomb to him in attack as well. I just see no reason why he should be in the centres.

1. Hunt
2. Boyd
3. Hodges
4. Michaels
5. Folau

Hodges and Folau on the right.

Jebadude said:
He has to be on the right wing IMO. People say he is wasted on the wing but he is more wasted in the centres. Since Tuqiri and Sailor left we have not had a big winger and teams just keep exposing that by bombing to us. Look at our some wingers over the years - Bott, Minto, Tupou, (and more recently) Robinson and Kemp - all hopeless under the high ball and continually letting in 4 points. Put Folau on the wing and we have no problem. Put him in the centres, they simply kick it over him. We can also bomb to him in attack as well. I just see no reason why he should be in the centres.

1. Hunt
2. Boyd
3. Hodges
4. Michaels
5. Folau

Hodges and Folau on the right.

Exactly! icon_thumbs_u

The Rock said:
I agree Jeb, having Hodges and Folau primarily on one side of the field all game would be deadly. However, Michaels and Boyd on the other side probably won't get any ball. [icon_lol1.

In saying that however, having Folau on the other side of the field could prove even more valuable. Remeber St George in 2005? Cooper and Gasnier in the centres, they created so much damage because they were both in the peak of their careers and were absolutely awesome hitting a hole or creating something out of nothing with room to move. They occupied both ends of the field and you could shift the ball any way and know that something will always be on.

As for Leo's original question - IMO, Folau will adapt. He'll learn to adapt whether it's at left or right centre, I don't see it being a real problem IF Henjak decides to put him there.

I think that's a real issue. With all the hype (a lot of it justified) about Folau as a quality centre, that's where I think the Club will play him.

I think he would be able to adapt to the left with a full pre-season in the position.

i think the side may look like:

1. Hunt
2. Michaels
3. Folau
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace

I think its worth having Folau train at left centre in the offseason, as well as right wing. They'd be stupid to lock him into one spot or the other!

Gould when on and on and on.. about how 'lost' he was on the left. I dont think it was the fact he was lost, I think it was the fact QLD hardly attacked down that side!

Let's not forget - he is still only 19 and still learning. Thus far his career has mainly been on the right side and he has excelled. I would like to see him play right wing next season and then look to move him to left centre a season or 2 later when he has learned more and will be more able to adapt to the change

BroncoMatt said:
Gould when on and on and on.. about how 'lost' he was on the left. I dont think it was the fact he was lost, I think it was the fact QLD hardly attacked down that side!

Bingo! He was playing wing in his first SOO match on the wrong side and got no ball, when he got it anyway he did good things. The guys a freak give him a little while training anywhere from 1-5 and he will be test caliber in the position.

FCB BB AKA MB said:
BroncoMatt said:

Bingo! He was playing wing in his first SOO match on the wrong side and got no ball, when he got it anyway he did good things. The guys a freak give him a little while training anywhere from 1-5 and he will be test caliber in the position.

Well wherever he plays I hope its on the wing. Left or right I don't care. Too often these days IMO you get these awesome wingers come into the game and then they start playing in the centres. Folau in the centres = wasted.

Jebadude said:
FCB BB AKA MB said:
BroncoMatt said:

Well wherever he plays I hope its on the wing. Left or right I don't care. Too often these days IMO you get these awesome wingers come into the game and then they start playing in the centres. Folau in the centres = wasted.

Why do you say hes wasted at centre???? I find centres get MUCH more ball than do wingers

broncospwn said:
Jebadude said:
FCB BB AKA MB said:
BroncoMatt said:

Why do you say hes wasted at centre???? I find centres get MUCH more ball than do wingers

He probably does but I reckon the stuff he does on the wing will benefit us more than what he does in the centres.

Agree Jeb. Don't see the point of putting him in the centres, where we're already strong, while we have a weakness on the wing.

bfoord said:
I think he would be able to adapt to the left with a full pre-season in the position.

i think the side may look like:

1. Hunt
2. Michaels
3. Folau
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace

+1

i know it would never happen, but imagine israel at fullback. All the great kick returns, coming off Locky's shoulder in plays. Safe under the high ball.

spoonbled said:
i know it would never happen, but imagine israel at fullback. All the great kick returns, coming off Locky's shoulder in plays. Safe under the high ball.

Hunt's a better fullback.

hunt is the best fb in the game. slater is so overrated and cannot handle rep footy.

Active Now

• JamesC
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.