Jack Bird’s NRL season under threat after operation for rare sternum condition

It's not good is it.

Putting it gently, it stinks. Oates is a gun player that we developed from our own juniors and he's getting shown the door for an overpaid knee jerk wash in from NSW who hasn't proven himself as anything other than a spud of a signing.

Last edited:
It's not good is it.
Nah that’s not true. Whether we had the $46mil per minute money we are spending on bird freed up or not, broncs wouldn’t go into a bidding war over Oates. We can afford him on fairly decent coin but he can get more elsewhere and broncs are typically stubborn in not trying to match it. Plus if he leaves its t play back row. Bird is totally unrelated to Oates in every which way. You could argue we should’ve spent the bird fund on a halfback but there weren’t any truly viable options available (viable means they’d have to want to play up here). Plus with milfs epic kicking development and knik starting to play with confidence it looks like WB was right as usual.

We're about to lose Oates for Bird. He'd better have a kick ass 2019.

what an absolute load of shit ...

we are not about to lose Oates for Bird at all ... especially as Bird arrived at the start this season ... it is far more realistic to say we are going to lose Oates because we have decided to pay a rookie with 30mins NRL experience a $3 million contract.

If we we lose Oates, it will be because he thinks he will get a chance at backrow ... and that is ZERO chance of happening here.

we are not about to lose Oates for Bird at all ... especially as Bird arrived at the start this season ... it is far more realistic to say we are going to lose Oates because we have decided to pay a rookie with 30mins NRL experience a $3 million contract.

If we we lose Oates, it will be because he thinks he will get a chance at backrow ... and that is ZERO chance of happening here.

If we lose Oates, it will be because of money and position. The position may be related to money as well as 2nd rowers generally get more than wingers. Any of our new signings have cost us the potential for Oates, but I just highlighted Bird in particular because I think he's been the least needed signing.

Irrelevant to all of that - Bird owes us a kick ass 2019!

Putting it gently, it stinks. Oates is a gun player that we developed from our own juniors and he's getting shown the door for an overpaid knee jerk wash in from NSW who hasn't proven himself as anything other than a spud of a signing.

Lol what a load of shit.

Did you miss the part where apparently Oates doesn't want to play on the wing?

Did you miss the part where Bird rocked up to a new job, new workplace, new home, had to make new friends and new work relationships under chronic pain that was misdiagnosed?

It's only now getting sorted.

How would you go under that? I'm guessing you'd be just like Oates. Not Oates now.

The Oates that when he takes a big money offer but suddenly has to start making 40 tackles a game and isn't scoring spectacular, match winning tries.

To quote Tropic Thunder "They'd be begging for a body bag if it means a ride home."

If we lose Oates, it will be because of money and position. The position may be related to money as well as 2nd rowers generally get more than wingers. Any of our new signings have cost us the potential for Oates, but I just highlighted Bird in particular because I think he's been the least needed signing.

Irrelevant to all of that - Bird owes us a kick ass 2019!
Even if we never signed Bird our offer to him would be the same ... we want him as a winger so we will pay him as a winger ...

He doesn't want to be on the wing ... our only chance to keep him would be to move him to the backrow ... and we have too talented a backrow to drop any of them for Oates

Wingers are more valuable than centres these days for sure IMO. And what position did we sign Bird to play?

Wingers are more valuable than centres these days for sure IMO. And what position did we sign Bird to play?

Who knows. It seems to change every other week. It's almost as if the club....hadn't even planned where he would be playing before they signed him...

We signed Bird to play centre, in the halves, lock and back row.

Simultaneously. At the same time.

It's what justified his price tag.

The brilliance is in the simplicity. Because we have a guy who can play half a dozen positions at the same time we don't need as many players.

It frees up cap space. For Oates!

I believe Oates would stay if we paid him 2nd rower money. (considered overs for a winger these days). I would rather we pay Oates overs to stay on the wing and lose Bird then lose him and keep Bird.

I've seen Oates win us games and score unbelievable tries, I've yet to see anything from Bird that's convinced me that he's not coasting by on talent alone and taking diet/training of a professional athlete seriously.

Please kick ass in 2019 Jack!

Last edited:

If we didn't get bird it would help with oates and other signings, the love for bird us unwarranted. It's also been said oates to the backrow is a joke between him and Wayne, who really knows what is or isn't true.

If we didn't get bird it would help with oates and other signings, the love for bird us unwarranted. It's also been said oates to the backrow is a joke between him and Wayne, who really knows what is or isn't true.

money is not the issue for Oates ...

I feel many people are setting themselves up for a massive fall when Oates inevitably leaves for the promise of a backrow spot

We signed Bird to play centre, in the halves, lock and back row.

Simultaneously. At the same time.

It's what justified his price tag.

The brilliance is in the simplicity. Because we have a guy who can play half a dozen positions at the same time we don't need as many players.

It frees up cap space. For Oates!
Well actually, for just about all of 2018 we’ve had a bloke who can play zero positions... :lol:

Just sayin’.

Well actually, for just about all of 2018 we’ve had a bloke who can play zero positions... [emoji38]

Just sayin’.
Which has been caused by shoulder and sternum ailments. He's not the first player to miss a major portion of the season due to a bad injury but a big deal has been made about this because he is the Bronco's high priced recruit from the dreaded land down south. Patience is needed in this situation because when he is eventually fit and firing, he will be a major part of this squad

Which has been caused by shoulder and sternum ailments. He's not the first player to miss a major portion of the season due to a bad injury but a big deal has been made about this because he is the Bronco's high priced recruit from the dreaded land down south. Patience is needed in this situation because when he is eventually fit and firing, he will be a major part of this squad

I'm not so confident but will very much hopefully have egg on my face.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • levikaden
  • heartly87
  • NSW stables
  • Gaz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Xzei
  • Johnny92
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • spanky
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Battler
  • bert_lifts
  • Fozz
  • marw
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.