Jack Reed

There's been a couple, notable examples are "is Jack Reed the slowest player in the comp?" and "Jack Reed has played his last game at first grade level" :laugh:

That.. might not be the best thing.

Maranta's had plenty of chances to show off his supposed "speed" and shown nothing.

Maranta doesn't do a terrible job with ball in hand. He certainly can move. The issue is, as soon as he sees the white line, he forgets to hold the ball.

Im a fan of Jack Reed but I think Copley at left centre is more dangerous in attack. I can see why people dont like Reed (due to his lack of pace) but IMO he is one of the best one on one centre defenders in the comp. If he gained a couple of yards of pace and dropped a couple of Kilo's his defence should be the same and his attack might improve.

I'm with Alec, Hodges at fullback in attack is what I'd like to see. I don't think there's a more lethal attacking fullback in the game than Hodges but he's a little too old for the defensive side of things.

I agree his ball playing is phenomenal, he came with a lot of try assists last year when he was playing Fullback. It would take a lot of pressure off Milford too

Reed could be a pretty good winger. He's strong, can jump, he can be quite fast. I think Having him on the wing and Copley at centre could be a winning formula. Would like to see him emulate Vidots kick returns too.

In what universe is Jack Reed fast? Guy couldn't run 50m before falling over his own feet.

Boyd in defence, Hodges in attack.

How about Boyd in attack and defence and Hodges plays right centre? Sounds pretty good to me.

How about buying a tractor instead of a car? It's not as good.

Now that Boyd has joined the Broncos, just like with many other players who have done the same, fans seem to project things onto them that they never were.

Same thing happened with Kennedy last year.

You just projected that he was a tractor which I'm sure he never was. What has anyone said about Boyd that isn't true though? Andddd Kennedy had a few good seasons before coming to us. He played the exact opposite when he came to us though.

Hodges can be any vehicle you like, he's still going to break down when you need him the most.

What exactly were the things he never was? Just curious man, because from what I can tell it looks like he's done pretty much everything.

I'm with Alec, Hodges at fullback in attack is what I'd like to see. I don't think there's a more lethal attacking fullback in the game than Hodges but he's a little too old for the defensive side of things.

I agree his ball playing is phenomenal, he came with a lot of try assists last year when he was playing Fullback. It would take a lot of pressure off Milford too

Thread title: Jack Reed

Thread title: Jack Reed

Something tells me no one actually reads the thread titles.

On Reed, I think he belongs in the second row, to be honest.

Copley is faster and a better attacking option. We should keep him there.

Something tells me no one actually reads the thread titles.

On Reed, I think he belongs in the second row, to be honest.

Copley is faster and a better attacking option. We should keep him there.

I completely agree. I'd be happy with Reed coming off the bench in the second row.

Problem is we've more than enough second rowers already, and I don't think Reed is better than Thaiday/Gillett/Glenn/Oates.

I completely agree. I'd be happy with Reed coming off the bench in the second row.

I wouldn't, Reed just does not have any impact in the second row or off the bench.

I wouldn't, Reed just does not have any impact in the second row or off the bench.

When did he come off the bench?

Reeds future is in the 2nd row. It's just a question of when. I can see Bennett turning him into Stagg MK2

Good article on Reed. It's good to hear that he is not taking his spot for granted (my personal opinion is this mentality has infested our team) and working hard on keeping it. It points to a real culture change happening at the club. Regarding his speed, I don't recall him being all that fast even back in 2011 (which was unquestionably his best year). From memory, he seemed to rely more on strength and power to break the line rather than speed and footwork. We need speed though, so if he thinks he can be faster, good luck to him.

It's a bit of a dilemma. Copley is a better attacker but is probably wasted on the wing. Reed is more sound defensively. What's more important - attack or defense?

This year he came off the bench in the 2nd row, had absolutely no impact what so ever.

IMO his position is centre or nothing.

I second that 100%, Danoz. The assumption that if you're too slow or heavy to play in the backs but you can make a go of it in the forwards is a very flawed assumption, imo.

This year he came off the bench in the 2nd row, had absolutely no impact what so ever.

IMO his position is centre or nothing.

Yeah, he was never going to make an impact straight away. It's not that simple.

I don't see why he couldn't move to the second row with a proper pre-season working towards it.

Tariq Sims wasn't always a forward...

Last edited:
Its difficult to picture where he fits in, he strikes me as the type of player Bennett likes, but I don't think he will dislodge Copley from the centres after last year. Hes never really had a lot of speed, he could play on the wing but he doesn't have the class of Kahu imo and we will need Vidot's carries, there's also better options in the backrow. Hes good enough to be in the 17 but beating out Kahu and Maranta to a spot on the wing is probably his best bet next year.

Last edited:

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • Skathen
  • Jazza
  • Xzei
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fitzy
  • Browny
  • Fozz
  • Allo
  • bazza
  • Galah
  • Foordy
  • dasherhalo
  • lynx000
  • Wolfie
  • kiwi2
  • theshed
  • Dash
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.